General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Training Ever Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-27 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
Subject: Best Training Ever
I've been in a conference this past week and have taken the opportunity to tour by training.  On Saturday I ran my own half marathon through the streets of Paris starting at my hotel, over to Montmarte, down to Notre Dame Cathedral, around the Conciergerie along the Seine past Les Invalides and finished by running up to the second platform of the Eiffel Tower. AWESOME!

Then, yesterday I found an awesome pool in Rome and did my 3km swim at on outdoor olympic pool. Beautiful.

It truly is a neat way to see a city and get to parts that you normally wouldn't see.

2010-07-27 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3008093

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Best Training Ever

Way to get out and find some awesome options!  So jealous.

2010-07-28 9:38 AM

User image

Veteran
DC

How did you deal w/ directions/finding a route/ sticking to a route once you were out on the road?

I've tried it a few times when I have to travel for work, and it only sort of worked. I mapped a route online, and tried to memorize the directions. I screwed it up, but luckily was in a small American town. Once I got the center of the city, I was fine as the last bit of the run was the perimeter of a college campus. Whether I remembered the street names or not I just kept the campus to my right.

I have a fairly extended trip planned for December/January (4+ weeks) in Southeast Asia. I won't have a specific race to train for, but don't want to take the time off entirely. I did that this past year and have lost several minutes per mile on my already slug like run. It won’t be NEARLY so easy in places w/ a foreign language AND different alphabet. Also there won’t be computer access every day. I can map a few routes ahead of time in the major cities.

The way I travel is a little impromptu. I won’t know exactly how many days I’ll be someplace until I get there or where I’ll be. Just 5 or so major cities planned w/ flight dates w/in the 4 weeks I’ll be gone. I'll need more than those 5 routes for the those 4 weeks.

2010-07-28 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Sounds like the best business trip ever as well!
2010-07-29 5:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
I printed off the directions and put them in the pocket of my fuel belt.  This was super helpful as it not only gave me a reference point it also helped when I wanted directions and my French wasn't quite good enough. I speak okay French but sometimes they still didn't know what I was getting at  

Awesome business trip
2010-07-30 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Thanks!

I'll have to do that (print & take them w/ me). I just don't have the set up yet. No belt, and no pockets in any of my running shorts. I usually tie my car or house key onto my drawstring. The couple of times travelling for work I've stuck the hotel key card in my sock, and got a nasty blister on the inside of my ankle. Clearly, I need a better plan.

Here's hoping by December I become all sorts of fast/rpofessional.

Your business trips are WAY better than mine. I'm jealous. But at least I get to take my dog w/ me lately.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Training Ever Rss Feed