General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race volunteer questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-27 8:38 PM

User image

Cecilia
Subject: Race volunteer questions
I am thinking of volunteering for Ironman FL and was curious about the experience? Are there any volunteer assignments that don't allow you to experience the race? From your  experience what are the better assignments? Thanks for the input.

2010-07-27 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3008739

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Subject: RE: Race volunteer questions
I've volunteered for IMFL once before and I'm signed up to volunteer again this year.  The last time I did it I was in the Med tent and I figure that's where I'll be this year.  That is mostly an evening assignment so you can see a good portion of the race but after the first few pros come in it starts to get busy and you are hopping until well after the race is over taking care of people.  The down side to the med tent is that if you are considering doing an IM it will certainly go a long way to dissuading you.  Come on down and join me volunteering, it's always worthwhile, you get to meet so many great people.
2010-07-28 5:35 AM
in reply to: #3008739

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Race volunteer questions
I did body marking and was a run course volunteer for Beach 2 Battleship last year.  Both were really fun.  The marking was good because I got to see and talk to a lot of athletes and I was done early.  Then, I had time to go for a run and eat in time to get to my station on the run course.

I was early for the run course station, so I filled in on the bike course (at my run location) to help direct riders on the last road crossing.  That was really fun and I think that my race experience helped me do a good job here.  The run course direction was more like cheerleader duty, which I would have been doing anyway, but it was fun too.

My friends volunteered in T1 and were finish-line catchers at IM Louisville last year.  They liked both jobs.  I think that as an athlete, T2 might be a good volunteer location because you could be most helpful here but it is a long time commitment if you are also watching for your athlete.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race volunteer questions Rss Feed