General Discussion Triathlon Talk » using aerobars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-15 8:47 PM

Subject: using aerobars
i've been using aerobars on my trainer for months now, however, i have not yet used it outside. any advice on what to expect? will it be difficult to adjust?

2004-04-15 8:54 PM
in reply to: #18735

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-04-15 10:06 PM

, Alabama
Subject: RE: using aerobars

The most difficult thing to adjust to IMHO with aerobars is the decreased control of the front wheel.  You can't maneuver as easily with your forearms as you can with your hands.  That is why, if you are in a paceline, don't use them unless you're the one pulling.  Also, when going around corners or if you are in traffic, come off of them.  Having practiced on the trainer is good because your body is used to being in that position, but still being on the real road is different.  Start slow until you get used to the feel.

Good luck.

Sharon

2004-04-16 2:56 PM

Expert
Iowa
Subject: RE: using aerobars
I would echo the above comment. Steering on the aeros is very tender; the slightest movement translates immediately to the front tire. Any maneuvering, standing for uphill pedaling, a big crack/hole in the pavement ... in short, anything but straight, smooth and unimpeded pedaling, come off them and get down on both hands onto the drops. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » using aerobars Rss Feed