General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question on cramping... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-29 9:14 AM

Subject: Question on cramping...
Last night, during my swim, I realized 1/2 way through that I was on the verge of cramping.  Each time I bent my legs at the wall, one started to cramp up, so... I just did not bend that leg anymore...

I ate the same and hydrated the same as I always do, and I rarely get cramps like that... but what do you do if it is too late?  Would you stop, and end the swim? What if you were in open water?  Bike/run? 

I imagine once you get to that point, you are past the point of no return.  If you can continue on and be safe... go for it. 

2010-07-29 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3011791

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Question on cramping...
The few times that I have cramped, it has always been because I am pushing myself beyond what my current fitness wants.  So the cramps typically happen towards the end of a hard workout.  In swimming, it most typically happens at the very end (while getting out of the pool), so continuing is not really an issue.  (I cramped with about 100m to go in my IM swim last year.  Yes, I kept going!)

I typically try to finish the workout, though if it is bad I will pause to stretch or massage it briefly.

If I feel it coming on, I'll pause to stretch it a bit and keep going, trying to ease up on the threatening bit if possible.
2010-07-29 9:35 AM

User image

If you feel yourself starting to cramp, the trick is to catch it early.

The moment you feel it coming on, try to stop kicking (if you're training, use a pool buoy) and don't kick off the edge of the pool.
2010-07-29 9:38 AM

User image

You just started upping your distance in swimming and/or number of times you swim a week, right?

This is one of the most common things out there. Think about how much time you straighten your toes during the day and for how long. Now think about how much time you point your toes swimming.

Don't push off the wall as hard. Ignore it. In a couple weeks see if you are still cramping. I'll bet you're not. It's probably not nutrition, it's just not used to doing that for that long that often yet.

Bike/run are different reasons for cramping, generally hydration or nutrition based.
2010-07-29 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3011877

I was swimming this distance for awhile, then it tapered off due to schedule/ focus on running/ bike.  In this instance, I started cramping only about 1/2 way through (1000 yds) which is still pretty easy for me at approx 2:00-2:20/100 pace...  I have only ever cramped one other time, and I know why that happened...(saturday morning- nuff said). 

I guess Im not so worried about this becomming a common occurance, but more like, what do I do if I do start to notice it?  I was able to get through the whole swim last night, but I was hyper aware that I need not bend the leg... plus, I was in a 4 foot pool, not like I could not just stand up or grab the lane line or whatever... very seldom I ll get a cramp in my calf after climbing a hill on the bike... it never comes back, but it will not drown me either. 

BTW- I dont push off hard at all, really just enough to glide into the first stroke... very light.
2010-07-29 11:50 AM

Experioe, DanielG- you guys must be as motivated at work as I am today!  You are on all of my posts!

Nice work!

2010-07-29 1:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
typically backing off a little and/or relaxing a little helps A LOT. Like an above poster said...feeling it come on is the most important part. Once you cramp, its much harder to relax the muscle....do-able, just not as easy.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question on cramping... Rss Feed