Site Issues Custom Training Plan Creator » Custom Training Plan Creator: Report Bugs Here. We'll take your compliments too. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 2

2010-07-29 2:38 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: Custom Training Plan Creator: Report Bugs Here. We'll take your compliments too.
We're pleased to announce the BeginnerTriathlete Custom Training Plan Creator.

You can use it to create fully customized Sprint and Oly Minutes Only plans for now. For free.  Schedule as many workouts in each sport as you need and put them on the days of the week that work for YOU.

Bronze/Silver/Gold members can import the plans into your Planned Training log.

This is obviously a very basic version but we wanted to get it live in time for some people to use it for late season races.

In the coming weeks we'll be adding lots of features like:
  • Detailed Customized Workouts
  • HIM distance plans
  • IM distance plans
  • creation of Duathlon, Aquabike, Cycling and Swimming plans
  • Strength workouts
  • Power
  • Saving plans to your own plan library

Give it a try, let us know what you think. If you come across something that doesn't work as you expected or that doesn't look right, please post it here along with a description of what you entered (as much as you can remember, we save all of that stuff anyway)

2010-07-29 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3012727

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Custom Training Plan Creator: Report Bugs Here. We'll take your compliments too.
Cool !!

I just wanted to say  ' thanks '  to all at BT for all of the effort that is put into this site.

kelly
2010-07-29 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: RE: Custom Training Plan Creator: Report Bugs Here. We'll take your compliments too.
Pretty cool. I just made a test plan w/ no events scheduled on Thursday and when I went to view the plan, it had Friday as the rest day.  It looks like Step 4 and 5 have different start days for the week.
2010-07-30 7:19 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
I only gave it a quick try.  For those of us that speak metric, it would be nice to be able to enter distances and paces in meters and kph etc.  Other than that, looks pretty cool!
2010-07-30 7:30 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Very cool tool. 

2 things I noticed.  I tried to create a plan for the next 1.5 months.  But it asks that it must be at least a certain distance?  Also, I said 3x/week for each activity.  It then gave me a short medium and long workout for each discipline.  But I want to do 2 long swims and 2 long runs and one short swim and one medium run.  I could only use each block once and couldn't rename the block. 

It would be nice if we could reuse the training blocks.  Maybe they reappear at the top once they have been placed in the training plan?

Thanks.

2010-07-30 4:22 PM

User image

Regular
New York
Very Cool Tool.

I see that you note that

HIM and IM plans will be included with Platinum Membership. Any thoughts to when that will be available? Price?

2010-07-30 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3012851

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
shmeeg - 2010-07-29 4:27 PM Pretty cool. I just made a test plan w/ no events scheduled on Thursday and when I went to view the plan, it had Friday as the rest day.  It looks like Step 4 and 5 have different start days for the week.

This should be all set.  Also corrected a problem with bricks not being created in you only scheduled 2 runs per week.

HIM and IM plans will be included with Platinum Membership. Any thoughts to when that will be available? Price?

I see that you note that

We're planning on end of August for HIM/IM and workout details. These are mostly done, we're just doing (what we hope is) the final debugging now.  Pricing isn't set yet, but we can say that our goal is to make custom training plans affordable for just about anyone that wants one.

2010-07-30 7:48 PM

User image

Looks like there is a bug that means the program has to start on a Monday.

For example...I set my workouts so I have a long ride on Sat and long run on Sunday.

But I also set the program to Start Jan 1st...which is a Saturday.  The program imported assuming that Jan 1st was a Monday...and made all my long rides on Thursday (the 6th day after the program started), and all my long runs on Friday (the 7th day after the program started).

I suppose the quick fix is to force users to make their plans start on a Monday.
2010-07-30 7:49 PM

User image

I love the tool though...SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than taking the generic plan and having to move all the workouts around to when they fit your schedule.
2010-07-31 11:37 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Cool!
OK I made two plans using the same 3x per week balanced paln but one with 2on-1recv weeks and the other 3on-1recv weeks for a 9 week duration. In general I liked what it provided me for the swim and bike but not the runs (info provided: Sprint race 440y/15.9mi/3.1mi; 2:00 swim, 21mph bike, 7.5 run pace, >2 years).  I have a couple of feedback items:
  1. When the plan is developed it doesn't get saved as one of my personal training plans.  If you import it it still doesn't show up as one of the plans.  Maybe add a button on the plan page to "Add to my plans". I had to export and import the dates to have it listed. (oh, wait I now see that as a bullet item below)
  2. Top header info showed the run pace as 7 not 7:30 (or 7.5) as inputted.
  3. I'd like to see an option that would allow you to set the maximum distance/time for the long training day or the week mileage/time from the start and let it build from there.  The plans started with too many run miles for me.  (oh wait, I now see that as a bullet item below)
  4. No need to have such long brick runs in the plan, maybe half the race distance.  Perhaps having bricks as an option in setting up the training plan. (oh wait, I now see that as a bullet item below)
  5. Next to the last day of the plans (Saturday) has me doing a full 3 event day even though Sunday is the race day (below).  Also the Sat training B-R events are longer than the race so it wasn't using the race event distances.  I can see doing this the week before the race but not the day before the race!
B: 16.6 Mi
47m
R: 
4.3 Mi
32m
S: 
400 Yd
08m

Good stuff thanks for another awesome BT tool!
2010-07-31 4:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
I created a sprint plan, but when I changed the run pace from the default 10 min/mile to 12 or 13 min/mile, the run workouts show up as negative numbers.

I at first thought that it was the normal workout with negative numbers, but it wasn't, it was small negative numbers.

Both the distance and time are negative.  

I really look forward to using this. 

2010-08-01 1:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
I love this!  Thanks for developing it.  It is great to put which workouts on what day(s) I want them.  I had a couple of issues with the creation of a sprint distance plan.

1. When entering my race pace data,  it rounded times - ie  13.5mph became 13 mph for the bike and 2:30/100yds became 2/100yds.
2.  When I changed the run pace,  it set the workouts at negative times/numbers as someone else had also mentioned.
3.  When I imported the plan into my log,  it did not import the run workouts at all.  This is not an issue for me since I am battling shin splints and starting from scratch with the couch to 5k plan anyway but will probably be an issue for others.
4.  I, too, had set my start date as Sunday but the plan imported with a Monday start date.
5.  Lastly,  it did not save my plan at all, despite naming it.  I guess it is not a big deal but would be nice to go back and modify it rather than recreate it.

Thanks again and look forward to the extra features to be added soon.
2010-08-01 11:19 PM

Veteran
I love the easy flexibility of this . . . however, all my run times on the plan are showing up as negative #s. i.e. -0.9 mi, -3 min. Very odd, I've double checked my run time and it is correctly entered.

-k
2010-08-02 3:49 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Grrr....

Would have liked to have the forthcoming IM version of this BEFORE I spent hours and hours typing my IMTX training plan in to Excel, saving it as a CSV, and then importing it!
2010-08-02 5:05 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Two issues should be all set now:

1- Negative run numbers
2- The start day of the week. The solution to this is to require that all plans start on the same day of the week that you have defined as your "week starts on" day in your Training Log settings.

scratch #2. I just found a different bug that was introduced by this. Ugh.
2010-08-02 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
I really like this feature. I've been playing with the last couple of days.  The latest thing I have found is it comes up a week short.

I have a race scheduled on 10/16.  I set my training start date to 8/2/10 and race date on 10/16.  The plan shows the taper week starting 10/4, which is the week before the race, and the workouts are blank for that week and there is no taper week for the week of the race.

Also, I have it set to a recovery week every 4 weeks.  In the above example; week 1 is a base week, but week 2 is a recovery week.

Again, thanks for this great feature.

Tim 

2010-08-03 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3019974

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
jayhawkrichie - 2010-08-02 11:00 PM I really like this feature. I've been playing with the last couple of days.  The latest thing I have found is it comes up a week short.

I have a race scheduled on 10/16.  I set my training start date to 8/2/10 and race date on 10/16.  The plan shows the taper week starting 10/4, which is the week before the race, and the workouts are blank for that week and there is no taper week for the week of the race.

This is fixed. It's the bug I alluded to in the post just prior to yours.

Also, I have it set to a recovery week every 4 weeks.  In the above example; week 1 is a base week, but week 2 is a recovery week.

This is going to happen because we create recovery weeks based on the end date, not the start date.  We do this to ensure a consistent progression leading up to the race.
2010-08-03 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3016299

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Fechter99 - 2010-08-01 2:28 AM I love this!  Thanks for developing it.  It is great to put which workouts on what day(s) I want them.  I had a couple of issues with the creation of a sprint distance plan.

1. When entering my race pace data,  it rounded times - ie  13.5mph became 13 mph for the bike and 2:30/100yds became 2/100yds.
5.  Lastly,  it did not save my plan at all, despite naming it.  I guess it is not a big deal but would be nice to go back and modify it rather than recreate it.

The rounding of race pace data is fixed. This was a display issue, the plans were being created correctly.
Saving plans will be a future upgrade.
2010-08-04 9:10 PM

User image

Regular
I LOVE this!  Thanks!

As I fiddle with my info, sometimes certain workouts don't show up--for example, I have a short bike and medium swim listed, but they are blank on the actual schedule.

It would be cool if we could set a max distance for the starting week of the plan.  I'm working back from a running injury, so I try to go a bit more conservatively on the distances.  I thought messing with my times might help, but I couldn't quite get it right, then I tried a sprint-focused schedule, but it was too conservative, especially with the bike then. 

Edited by TritoTeach 2010-08-04 9:24 PM
2010-08-05 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3020903

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
You rock!...but, I just noticed another bug.  I have scheduled 5 runs, 5 swims, and 3 bikes.  They are scheduled as follows...

Monday: Short Run, Medium Swim
Tuesday: Medium Run, Short Swim
Wednesday: Short Run, Medium Swim, Short Bike
Thursday: Medium Run, Short Swim
Friday: Long Swim
Saturday: Long Run
Sunday: Long Bike

When the plan shows up it swaps Wednesday and Thursdays runs, so wednesday is medium and thursday is short.  If I swap wednesday and thursday on the create schedule tab (wed. Medium and Thursday short), then the plan shows wednesday short and thursday medium.
2010-08-07 7:54 PM

Regular
Toronto
Two questions.  1.  Can you please set it up so that the rest of the world outside the US can use it in metric?   2.  The maximum mumber of weeks is 20 - I have my first sprint race tomorrow and so my couch-sprint plan is now done.  I want to get started on a plan to continue to improve and also hopefully build in more maintenance workouts such as strength workouts over the fall and winter before starting my next sprint race plan.  But that's a lot more than 20 weeks!  Should I just use the 20 weeks and then start again?

While I'm at it, are there any pre-designed plans to help those of us coming off our first race to keep up the momentum and improvements over the winter?

2010-08-07 9:25 PM

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Getting please schedule 1 workout per day error, but only scheduled 1. Had been changing stuff back and forth. Restarted and could not replicate issue.

Edited by tjtryon 2010-08-07 9:44 PM

(tpc error 1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
tpc error 1.jpg (50KB - 20 downloads)
2010-08-07 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
I have a long bike/short run scheduled on Tuesday. It additionally created a brick on Tuesday as well, giving 1 long bike, and 2 runs.

(tpc error 2a.jpg)

(tpc error 2b.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
tpc error 2a.jpg (86KB - 20 downloads)
tpc error 2b.jpg (51KB - 21 downloads)
2010-08-09 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3029563

Regular
Toronto
An addendum to the metric issue.  I had my defaults set to metric so the plan used metric units but didn't convert the distances.  So it had me doing, for instance, an 8 km cycle in 30 minutes instead of 8 miles in 30 minutes.  The latter is a respectable speed - I think my 8 year old nephew could cycle 8 km in 30 min!!!  I have now changed my default to miles etc. to make the plan work, but now I have to manually convert each and every workout before I do it, and afterwards in order to enter my stats into the training log.  VERY irritating!  I am sure there must be a relatively easy fix to this that your techies can sort out.

Thanks!
2010-08-09 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3031498

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I think this is quite awesome, thank you! 

I would like to see the option of scheduling only 1 run, bike or swim per week.  Currently the minimum is 2.   I want to build a maintenance plan that will feed into a half marathon over the winter and would rather only swim and bike once a week.  It's perfect otherwise what what I need.

New Thread
CLOSED
Site Issues Custom Training Plan Creator » Custom Training Plan Creator: Report Bugs Here. We'll take your compliments too. Rss Feed  

of 2