General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Total, Complete Newbie.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-31 1:02 AM

New user

Subject: Total, Complete Newbie....
Hi!  My name is Jessica.  This is my first post.  I'm about 100 lbs overweight.  I've always wanted to do a triathlon, but I've always been intimidated by the swim.  Last year after attempting to run and suffering a foot injury I finally hauled my behind to the pool and completly fell in love with swimming. 

Now that I'm no longer scared of swimming, it's time to conquer the bike.  Yesterday I got on a bike for the first time in about 15 years.  I'm buying my friend's old bike.  It's a Trek 6000 series ~ about 10 years old.  She used it through three tri seasons and last year got a new Specialized. 

I've decided that my goal for next year is to complete a triathlon.  My husband is going to do it with me (he's done several already) and I have no idea where to start!!!  Help!!!!!

I would love any advice.  Thanks!  I can't wait to look around here and make myself at home!!

~Jessica
http://healthyfor100.blogspot.com

2010-07-31 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3015323

Master
Subject: RE: Total, Complete Newbie....
Hi Jessica! Welcome aboard. Sounds like you're already on your way.

My suggestions
1) Make sure you have the absolute basics (cap, good goggles, safe bike, helmet, and good running shoes)
2) Sign up for a TRI, don't hesitate. Just find an event that gives you enough time to train and sign up for it
3) Get to training. BT has some really good training plans (some are free and some you get if you sign up for a paid membership which is  a GREAT value). You can find the plans here:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp?h=1
4) Get to work, train, be safe, listen to your body....and HAVE FUN.

Just as a side note, if you haven't been on a bike for a long time, or have never ridden a road bike or even a touring bike, I think it's a good idea to spend some time in a parking lot getting used to the handling before you hit the open road.

Swim lessons at your local Y are also not a bad investment. It most certainly helps that you love swimming, a couple of lessons can ensure you build up good habits through your training.

I have a few threads in my signature that may help you out to! Happy training!

Edited by merlin2375 2010-07-31 7:48 AM
2010-07-31 4:01 PM

New user

Thanks so much for the reply.  I'm going to spend the rest of this year getting a good base before I start training.  Remember, I'm starting from SCRATCH!!

What do you suggest is a good place for me to be before I start my training?  I'm currently going to the gym about 4-5 days per week.  I do some weight/strength training and do my cardio on a recombent bike. 

Waiting for my foot to completely heal before I tackle the tread mill again. 

I know I have some time to get to a good spot before I start training ~ any advice?  Thanks so much!!
2010-08-01 11:47 AM
in reply to: #3015829

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
jamauk - 2010-07-31 4:01 PM Thanks so much for the reply.  I'm going to spend the rest of this year getting a good base before I start training.  Remember, I'm starting from SCRATCH!!

What do you suggest is a good place for me to be before I start my training?  I'm currently going to the gym about 4-5 days per week.  I do some weight/strength training and do my cardio on a recombent bike. 

Waiting for my foot to completely heal before I tackle the tread mill again. 

I know I have some time to get to a good spot before I start training ~ any advice?  Thanks so much!!

Good luck - you can absolutely complete a tri!!! I would suggest taking one day at a time and be consistent with your workouts.  When you are ready to tackle the treadmill, I have heard that the couch potato to 5k plan on this website will help with getting you started in running.  Also, log your workouts here so that others can track your progress and keep you motivated. This website is a great motivator and don't be afraid to ask questions! Also, there are great forums here for people who are training for triathlons to lose weight - you should definately check those out!

I completed my first tri last month and have already signed up for another in September.  Back in March I could barely run a mile without stopping now I am running 5 miles consistently!
2010-08-03 8:10 PM

New user

Rockville, MD
Jessica, one of the things I like about this sport is that the more I trained, the more I paid attention to my diet.  All the info about what to eat before, during, and after training and racing made me focus on the food I was or wasn't eating as part of the training.  If it wasn't going to add to my improvement, did I really need to eat it? 
I found lots of nutrition info for triathletes here and on other sites. 

Good luck and keep training. 
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Total, Complete Newbie.... Rss Feed