General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to ride around Montgomery? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-31 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky
Subject: Where to ride around Montgomery?
Howdy all,

New transplant to the Montgomery area, and I'm wondering where is a good, safe-ish place to ride.  I checked the interwebz and couldn't find a local triathlon club.  There is a local cycling club, but I'm not really one for group riding.  Thanks for any help.

Jon

2010-08-05 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3015528

User image

Master
North Alabama
Subject: RE: Where to ride around Montgomery?

Hey Scud, welcome to MGM and Al. I grew up in that area, and sadly there aren't a whole lot of places to ride except neighborhood areas.

You could chance roads like Bell Road, Taylor Road, out toward Pike Road area, but even that's scary. Folks down there aren't used to seeing cyclist and don't care for them too much. You could move south down 331 toward Snowdoun on the county roads, or head north toward Prattville & Wetumpka, but that's a good bit of traveling just to ride.

If you have military clearance (guessing some form of service from your avatar), honestly the safest place is Maxwell AFB. You could get in 12mi or so on a base loop, which is what I did most of last summer. I know that cars have to stop, can't speed, and all heck would break loose if personell hit a cyclists. Safety I guess.

You could possibly contact River Region Runners to see if they know of anything or anyplace too. And one more thing, last I checked, there's not even a bike shop in that area b/c it just can't survive.

2010-08-27 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3026202

User image

There is a tri club in Montgomery:

www.montgomerymultisport.com

The same people that run the club are getting ready to open a tri shop in Peppertree shopping center as well.  For a bike shop, there is a small one in Prattville, but I usually go up to the Birmingham area and go to one of the Cahaba Cycles locations for better selection.

I agree that Montgomery is not very bike friendly and riding on base is probably one of the safest places.  I am still a newbie to the whole tri thing, so I haven't been riding much, but I have already had a close call with a stupid driver who had plenty of room and decided to leave me as little of it as possible.

Edited by calgalinal 2010-08-27 7:35 PM
2010-08-31 5:00 PM

Welcome! I am new to riding in Montgomery myself, however I have lived here my entire life. Your best bet is to ride early and east. I like to park at the Ray Thorington Rd CVS and ride down RT, take a right onto Pike Rd, then take a left down Wallahatchee, and ride to the little church on the right... then back. It's about a 22 mile ride. Nice, quiet, and I get to see other early morning riders, which to me is always pleasant.
2010-09-02 9:09 PM

www.mgmbikeclub.org

Every Wed is a short time trial around the loop at Deer Creek (Vaughn Road, about 1.5 miles east of Taylor Rd).

I do a LOT of riding in this area.  The DOT recently put up a lot of "Share the road" signs, and it's a fairly popular area for cycling.  Having said that, I think most locals have gotten accustomed to seeing cyclists out here.  Still, the drivers aren't as friendly as some other places I've ridden (southwest Oklahoma was awesome and Delaware was also good.  

I ride mostly SE of town - out Ray Thorington Rd (good, wide road), and then out Pike Road (I hate Pike Road - it's moderately busy and no one seems inclined to wait until it's safe to pass you).  But the good news is that I'm only on Pike road for about 1.5 miles total.  There's quite a few loops available from Pike Road.  I'll try to attach some pictures/maps.

Stand by for pics...

(Picture 4.jpg)

(Picture 10.jpg)

(Picture 6.jpg)

(Picture 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Picture 4.jpg (41KB - 23 downloads)
(0KB - 22 downloads)
Picture 10.jpg (62KB - 18 downloads)
Picture 6.jpg (37KB - 19 downloads)
Picture 2.jpg (71KB - 20 downloads)
2010-09-02 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3074562

abigailhancock - 2010-08-31 5:00 PM Welcome! I am new to riding in Montgomery myself, however I have lived here my entire life. Your best bet is to ride early and east. I like to park at the Ray Thorington Rd CVS and ride down RT, take a right onto Pike Rd, then take a left down Wallahatchee, and ride to the little church on the right... then back. It's about a 22 mile ride. Nice, quiet, and I get to see other early morning riders, which to me is always pleasant.

I do a lot of variations on this route (live in Deer Creek).  Some options:
- Once you're on Pike, instead of turning left on Wallahatchie, go straight a couple hundred yards and turn RIGHT on the next road - you'll pass an Ace Hardware, and that road continues about 5 miles or so until it comes to the 231 intersection.  Turn around and backtrack - I like this option if the winds are strong out of the west or NW - get the headwinds out of the way early!

- Another option: from Pike road, continue straight past Wallahatchie, down the slight hill and then up to the top of the next little hill - turn Left onto Carter Hill Road (a grass strip airport with wind sock).  After about 1.5 miles or so, turn left onto Matthews Rd.  Matthews rd has a lot more ups and downs than the other roads.  At the end of Matthews Rd (about 5 miles or so), you'll come to a T intersection across from a single grain elevator and the tiny Matthews post office - turn Left.  Follow that road north, and in about 2-3 miles, you'll come to the John Hall store on the intersection of Vaughn rd.  That store is a very popular meeting place for cyclists, I think they ride on Thursdays and Saturdays.  Those roads are empty of traffic and great for biking.  Anyways... from the store, turn left onto Vaughn, and in about 2.5 miles or so, you'll come right back to the original church that abagailhancock uses as her turn around point.  This total loop is about 27 miles long.

Bottom line: there's some GREAT riding, once you get OFF pike road! 

2010-09-07 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3079818

New user

Damn J, that is a comprehensive route suggestion...I really should have stuck with you this year instead of moving across the street...
2010-09-29 11:56 AM

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/al/montgomery/788128577303658917<... />
This is an out and back that we ride on Saturday Mornings from Montgomery Multisport.
http://www.montgomerymultisport.com  Montgomery Alabama Bike Shop

Usually 30ish folks dividing in to three groups based on speed.

Tuesday and Thursday rides leave the shop at 5:30am.  Usually 20+ riders.. lots of blinky lights...

G.
2010-09-29 10:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ft. mitchell ,al / columbus ga
link not working.
2010-10-02 9:15 AM

AL
Weekly Tue and Thur ride. 

http://www.mapmyride.com/view_workout?w=218128602867472962

Look under route/map.

steve

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to ride around Montgomery? Rss Feed