General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I have gone back and said something? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-08-02 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3018624

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Should I have gone back and said something?

trishie - 2010-08-02 1:31 PM Another problem with MUPs:

If you yell ON YOUR LEFT, some people move to THEIR left... many people on MUPs don't know the "rules of the road."

Too true.  Except when they've got their Ipods turned up so high that they can't hear you anyway.

Mark

2010-08-02 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3018095

User image

When I had a hybrid bike, I almost got clotheslined by a lady who suddenly decided to stretch her arms outwards as I rode past her on a MUP at about 12 mph.  I passed on the far left edge and she was walking pretty much right down the middle.

I would not ride fast on the MUPs near my area for the simple reason that they have lots of bends and blind corners.  But if your paths are clearly visible, then just ride at a speed that is safe.  Don't be scared to slow down each time you approach a pedestrian or slower bike...it will improve your short power bursts as you have to accelerate again.
2010-08-02 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3018657

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Caution when passing people heading the same direction.

When traveling opposite directions, hug your side.  If they don't move over it's on them. 

I don't have to deal with it too much around here.  MUPs generally aren't contiguous enough, so when I'm on them lately it tends to be at warm-up time or I'm on my way home and definitely taking it easier.

MOST parents see me coming and make sure to corral their kids onto the right side.

My worst incident was a group of teens.  4 or so of them, coming the other way, using up the entire path. They stop at the far side of the bridge I'm approaching.  They LAY their bikes in the path, and one of the girls decides to examine something off the trail.

Well, I pick a line between the obstacles they left on the trail, and the queen of the dummies decides to climb back up the hill and turn around right as I pass between the bikes they left on the ground.  She probably peed herself, and serves her right!

I am WAY more considerate of little kids and would have slowed down, but not for goobers like this.

I click my brake levers when coming up behind someone, but if they have an iPod on too loud and get buzzed, that's not my fault.

Walkers are the most obnoxious around here actually.  Other bikers and joggers tend to hold a line on the outside edge and move over for passing.  Walkers tend to be in clusters having a chit chat and can't be bothered to think outside of their little path blocking clique.

MUPs are nice, but lonely roads are less trouble for sure.

-eric
2010-08-02 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3018743

User image

Expert
Savannah
faded_memories - 2010-08-02 2:11 PM Caution when passing people heading the same direction.

When traveling opposite directions, hug your side.  If they don't move over it's on them. 

I don't have to deal with it too much around here.  MUPs generally aren't contiguous enough, so when I'm on them lately it tends to be at warm-up time or I'm on my way home and definitely taking it easier.

MOST parents see me coming and make sure to corral their kids onto the right side.

My worst incident was a group of teens.  4 or so of them, coming the other way, using up the entire path. They stop at the far side of the bridge I'm approaching.  They LAY their bikes in the path, and one of the girls decides to examine something off the trail.

Well, I pick a line between the obstacles they left on the trail, and the queen of the dummies decides to climb back up the hill and turn around right as I pass between the bikes they left on the ground.  She probably peed herself, and serves her right!

I am WAY more considerate of little kids and would have slowed down, but not for goobers like this.

I click my brake levers when coming up behind someone, but if they have an iPod on too loud and get buzzed, that's not my fault.

Walkers are the most obnoxious around here actually.  Other bikers and joggers tend to hold a line on the outside edge and move over for passing.  Walkers tend to be in clusters having a chit chat and can't be bothered to think outside of their little path blocking clique.

-eric

Sounds like the mentality that we complain about so much between cars/bikers but in this case it's biker to pedestrian.  Like I said before, just because you have the right to do it doesn't make it smart.

Edited by mktoson 2010-08-02 1:29 PM
2010-08-02 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Wow... Kind of suprised by the  number of people condeming riding on trails.  I have ridden both roads and trails.  I treat them each with their own level of respect.  But yes, I will go 20+ on the trail when I think it is safe, and I avoid areas where there is high traffic (walkers).  There are some places I would be downright dangerous for me to go if I had to only ride roads.  And I'm sorry, but I'd rather take my chances with a family of 4 then angry drivers in certain areas of town...

Please note, I have been road riding for 25+ years.  I am not a newbie.  I do feel comfortable on roads, but just choose my battles wisely.

2010-08-02 1:43 PM

User image

Master
I have to chime in here as well. We just moved from an area that had a MUP. I would take my daughter riding on it, and we would also jog on it.
One time when my wife and daughter went out a bicyclist RAN INTO my daughter and knocked her over. I can't imagine how pissed I would have been if I was there, as I was very pissed when I was told.

No one is the "boss" of the MUP. You need to ride at a speed that is safe, not for you, but for everyone near you. Just like driving on the road. You have to be safe for you AND the other drivers. If there is a granny being silly, rolling won the MUP with a dog on a leash...YOU have to avoid her.

I ride on a MUP sometimes nearby. In the area where there are less people, I will pick up the pace, but  when anyone is around, you have to slow down.

It may be hard, but you can't plan on being able to get a fast ride in on a MUP, it just isn't safe, even if the posted limit is 20.

As for teenagers being silly...ask politely for them to move their crap. Or, move it gently, just like you would a cart in a grocery store.
People don't learn if they never get a chance to make mistakes.

Edited by eliwashere 2010-08-02 1:44 PM

2010-08-02 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3018743

User image

Lafayette, CO
faded_memories - 2010-08-02 12:11 PM Caution when passing people heading the same direction.

Walkers are the most obnoxious around here actually.  Other bikers and joggers tend to hold a line on the outside edge and move over for passing.  Walkers tend to be in clusters having a chit chat and can't be bothered to think outside of their little path blocking clique.

-eric

And I would have trouble hearing a brake lever clicking whether I was running, walking or riding my bike.   I can't imagine expecting someone to be aware enough a clicking brake lever to react like you seem to expect them to. 
2010-08-02 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
I wouldn't go back.  Only bad things can happen if you come into contact with the parents, as those maternal/paternal instincts might escalate your good intention into a heated debate of "why the f*** were you riding so fast on a MUP?"
   And, I would ask the same -- why the f*** go so fast on a MUP?  It is an accident to happen!  Heck, as a runner, I sometimes have to slow up on MUP's because I cannot determine what others are gonna do, and I am not running at 20 mph.
   My favorite "issue" is with those retractable dog leashes.  Let Fido out 20 ft and that line could be anywhere.  Plus, it can often be difficult to notice and see.
2010-08-02 3:03 PM

User image

Veteran
RockTractor - 2010-08-02 11:00 AM Here's the scenario... I'm out riding yesterday on a multi-use path marked down the middle with a yellow line. I'm doing somewhere in the vicinity of 23-24 mph when I spot a family (Mom, Dad, and Daughter) up ahead coming the other way. They are grouped up pretty good using the whole lane - but, staying on their side of the line. I slow to around 18-19 mph which feels like a comfortable speed to me to go by them. As I get closer, the little girl gets off balance and starts to swerve out into my lane in an attempt to recover. I start braking. As she moves further into my lane, I keep braking and moving to the right... eventually, she is completely in my lane, screaming (she thinks I am going to hit her). To avoid her I have to ride off the paved trail and into the dirty/sand where I go by her, turn back to the left, get back on the pavement, and continue my ride... At no point during this incident was I in fear of hitting her. So, as I went on, I replayed the incident in my head and wondered if I should have stopped and said something to the family / little girl? Not along the lines of "What the hell..." - they were doing better than most staying on their side and the little girl simply had a squirrely moment.. But, more along the lines of checking to see if everybody was OK (even though, physically, I knew they were). So, what's the consensus? Should I have stopped?

I don't think there was a need for you to stop. Small kids frequently have scary incidents, especially learning to ride a bike and ultimately their parents are responsible for looking after them. It's also reasonable to say her parents could have chosen a better place for her to bike if she's not fully experienced and safe on the bike.

While I do understand your need for a continous open road I do agree with Chris, if at all possible I would try to avoid those kinds of speeds on a multi use path. I have to bike on a MUP to get to open roads where I live and for me the unpredictability of kids/pedestrians/tourists/runners mean I just go slow and share the road. There's just so many potential hazards, including small kids learning to ride bikes somewhere safer than the street. Smile

I'm happy for you all that nothing more serious happened.

Cheers,
S
2010-08-02 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Like a few others stated, I use a MUP to get to the better riding roads.  I adjust my speed accordingly depending on the time of day.  Early in the AM, the MUP is fairly empty so I will ride at 16-18mph (the speed limit on MUP's around here is 8mph!)...BUT, I always ride defensively.  I know that path like the back of my hand...every turn, every hill, every blind spot.  I can control my bike, but I cannot control what others around me are going to do.  Therefore, I am always scanning for hazards, and predicting what others might do (a habit brought over from motorcycle riding).  I always announce when I pass, and always give a wide berth when I do.  

Later in the day, when I am returning home from a ride...I use the MUP to get home.  At this time of day, it's way more crowded with families.  My speed comes down to a more casual pace, since most of the time is spent passing walkers, runners, and slower cyclists.  

I won't give up riding on the MUP that I use...I have a right to be out there just as much as anyone else.  You just have to be SMART about it and know when to adjust your speed as the conditions call for it.  
2010-08-02 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3019594

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
nscrbug - 2010-08-02 4:50 PM Like a few others stated, I use a MUP to get to the better riding roads.  I adjust my speed accordingly depending on the time of day.  Early in the AM, the MUP is fairly empty so I will ride at 16-18mph (the speed limit on MUP's around here is 8mph!)...BUT, I always ride defensively.  I know that path like the back of my hand...every turn, every hill, every blind spot.  I can control my bike, but I cannot control what others around me are going to do.  Therefore, I am always scanning for hazards, and predicting what others might do (a habit brought over from motorcycle riding).  I always announce when I pass, and always give a wide berth when I do.  

Later in the day, when I am returning home from a ride...I use the MUP to get home.  At this time of day, it's way more crowded with families.  My speed comes down to a more casual pace, since most of the time is spent passing walkers, runners, and slower cyclists.  

I won't give up riding on the MUP that I use...I have a right to be out there just as much as anyone else.  You just have to be SMART about it and know when to adjust your speed as the conditions call for it.  

Translation: I break the rules when I know I can get away with it.

John

2010-08-02 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3019644

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
tkd.teacher - 2010-08-02 6:23 PM

John

The rules are wrong.

Fortunately most of the trails around here have no speed limit and high-speed cyclists are the norm rather than the exception. The law ("rules," if you will) state that cyclists have to announce themselves when overtaking. Sometimes I do it, sometimes I don't. Far too often it's safer for all involved parties for the cyclist to pass at 20mph than it is to slow down and announce their presence.

Edited by beanmj 2010-08-02 7:34 PM
2010-08-02 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3019665

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
beanmj - 2010-08-02 7:34 PM Far too often it's safer for all involved parties for the cyclist to pass at 20mph than it is to slow down and announce their presence.

lol, care to explain this one?

To the OP:   you were going too fast.   No need to go back and say anything, but I'd keep it in mind next time you're out.   If the path is wide open and there is no speed limit, then go for it I guess.   I personally would never choose a MUP over the road when my goal is to ride 20 mph. 

I have 3 kids, two of which ride their own bikes with no training wheels.   They're good riders, but at ages 5 and 8, sometimes they get distracted, or lose some balance whatever.   I'm usually constantly yelling at them to move over, watch where they're going etc but I can't always anticipate what they might do. 

I go by the old rule that applies almost everywhere:  faster yields to the slower.  Although I probably have too much faith in other people to assume they would use that same common sense idea.
2010-08-02 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3019644

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
tkd.teacher - 2010-08-02 7:23 PM
nscrbug - 2010-08-02 4:50 PM Like a few others stated, I use a MUP to get to the better riding roads.  I adjust my speed accordingly depending on the time of day.  Early in the AM, the MUP is fairly empty so I will ride at 16-18mph (the speed limit on MUP's around here is 8mph!)...BUT, I always ride defensively.  I know that path like the back of my hand...every turn, every hill, every blind spot.  I can control my bike, but I cannot control what others around me are going to do.  Therefore, I am always scanning for hazards, and predicting what others might do (a habit brought over from motorcycle riding).  I always announce when I pass, and always give a wide berth when I do.  

John

So what's your point?  I never stated that I didn't break any rules.  I freely admitted to exceeding the speed limit on the MUP that I use 2x a week, at most.   Infact, I'd say that with a speed limit of 8mph, most (if not ALL) of the riders (and likely some runners too) out on that MUP are exceeding the speed limit.

Edited by nscrbug 2010-08-02 8:26 PM
2010-08-02 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3019747

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
beanmj - 2010-08-02 7:34 PM Far too often it's safer for all involved parties for the cyclist to pass at 20mph than it is to slow down and announce their presence.

It's been said already, except for other serious cyclists saying "On your left" or similar simply results in many people stepping INTO your path instead of away from it.  People that don't know better PANIC when they figure out you are coming, and that is dangerous.  If they don't know you are there, they don't do the "random dance of panicking silliness."

Many people don't react at all because they can't hear you for whatever reason, which means you are going to startle them regardless.  Better to startle them as you pass them than before, by the time the jump sideways you are already clear of them.

I'm not buying a bell for my bike, and I won't call out to non-cyclists for the above reason, hence my brake lever clicking.  Enough noise to get attention, not enough noise to startle.

Overall though, I don't think the issue is big enough to get so worked up about.  Most people on MUPs seem to pay attention to their surroundings, and most of us don't need to frequent them anyway.

-eric

2010-08-02 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3018251

Veteran
South Shore, MA.
 Aside from that, this type of behavior on your part gives parents the right to endanger their child and commit assault and battery to prove their point. Which in turn gives the child a sense of entitlement ....a future politician is born

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I have gone back and said something? Rss Feed  

of 2