Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » getting back to tri after becoming a new mommy Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-03 7:55 PM

Subject: getting back to tri after becoming a new mommy
Hi I did two TAT's last year to get started in tri last year and loved it. Now this year has been a year off since baby is due this September. Still tried to keep in shape did lot of walk/running, swimming and some biking while prego in the beginning now im too big for the bathing suit lol and the pool is closed, down to walking and well biking is just awkward but i did bike 8k last week. Anyways just wondering how any other new moms got back in shape after having baby. Since i bet im gonna have my hands full in another couple weeks. And how quickly you got back to doing tri's. Any advice would be helpful. I'm hoping i could do a sprint next year and maybe even an olympic at the end of the season. This may just be wishful thinking. So help

2010-08-04 6:22 AM
in reply to: #3021951

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: getting back to tri after becoming a new mommy
Congrats on the baby!  It took me a while to get back at it to be honest.  My child was born in Dec. so exercise consisted mainly of bundling up and going for snowy walks.  Once spring hit I really wanted to start working out but it was a challenge with a working hubby and no support system re: child care.  I tried joining one of those gyms with a daycare but I'd be on the treadmill 5 minutes - just getting in to it - when I'd be paged to come sooth my child.  She was one of those babes that didn't want to be away from me for long.  I wasn't doing tri's at the time.  My advice would be to roll with it initially and see how things go.  You'll likely be really tired.  In hindsight I would have been far more successful if I'd had a trainer/treadmill at home.  I had a good jogging stroller which helped but ya - it took about 8 months for me to lose some weight and get back to being physically active.  Have fun with it!  It's an amazing experience - life changing
2010-08-15 10:15 PM
in reply to: #3022360

User image

Veteran
Toronto
It's great you have been bitten by the tri bug now as it will help to motivate you after the baby's born.
Just take it easy over the winter and work on getting into a routine.
Then in Feb/March start ramping up  your training. It's all about small increases and consitency.
Plan for a TAT in June (Welland is a good one as it's flat). Build up to a Sprint in Aug (Bracebridge is a good one) and either go for another sprint or olympic in Sept (recommend Lakeside).
It can be done - I'm a single mom with two kids, I work full time and commute an hour too and from work. You just have to work out what will work with your schedule and energy levels. Be easy on yourself. Some weeks you won't meet your training goals, other's you will. Look at each week realistically and make a plan. ASK FOR HELP!
Yes, you'll be busy, but you'll be happy for it. It's important "ME TIME". Which in the end will make you a much happier Mom. My kids see that there are times when I do put my training before them (they are 2 1/2 and 7) but they are also learning that you need to make exercise a priority. Sometimes I push a chariot and the 7 yr old rides his bike. You will just work out what works for you. But it is totally doable. And I still find time to watch way too much reality TV.
Enjoy it. Give yourself a good 8 months to get yourself back to the way you remember your body. It will happen. Just go easy on yourself.

Edited by alexenafi 2010-08-15 10:16 PM
2010-09-18 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3045136

Thanks for your suggestions. With me do anyday I'm beginning to realize how big a change in life this is really gonna be, and also how much we want this little one. You guys definitly made it sound doable. your great examples and great inspiration for me. See you out there next year. Good thing I got the jogging stroller lol.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » getting back to tri after becoming a new mommy Rss Feed