General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-Race and During the race nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-04 5:11 PM

Spring, Texas
Subject: Pre-Race and During the race nutrition
I'm curious what people are eating immediately before a race (like 30 min to an hour while you're still in transition) and then when and what do you eat as you continue your race.  And for that matter, how much are you eating and what types of food are you eating?  Now I'm mainly talking about Sprint races.......I know that there is a difference when you get into longer events.

I completed my first Tri back in June.  I feel that my nutrition before the race was fine, but I noticed that by mile 2, I began to get a little light headed and extremely hungry.  
With my 2nd triathlon this weekend, and with a longer swim (500 and not 300), a longer bike (15 miles and 10), and condsidering the Texas heat in August versus June......I think I might need to rethink my nutrition.  Although gel packs can help, I don't think they're going to sustain real hunger. 

I guess one question might be, what did you eat for breakfast as soon as you got up (as that might have an impact on my hunger)?
Well, a grapefruit, banana, and wheat bread with penaut butter and 20 oz of water (2 hours pre-race).
Then, on the way to the race, a gatorade and another 20oz of water (1 hour pre-race).
In transition (about 30 mintues pre-race), one more banana and a pack of sportlegs (washed down with some water).  Oh, and I went to bathroom ALOT.... a little too much hydration.... oh well.
Once on the bike, I had one gel pack with about 10 minutes left in the ride.
Nothing on the run except water.
Also, I'm a clydesdale, so as I write this I realize it looks a little lite for my size.  Didn't feel lite when I ate, but it looks lite now.

Anyway, would enjoy to hear how people manage their food/nutrition/hunger while at the race.

Blake

2010-08-04 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3023904

Veteran
South Shore, MA.
Subject: RE: Pre-Race and During the race nutrition
Next time bring a 2" TBone into prerace.....Texas style...was that mile 2 run or bike. I would think the last nights dinner is the key and race gu, gator, water on top of breakfast. Grapefruits are blood thinners so dont interact with meds....get your C though.
2010-08-04 7:14 PM

Spring, Texas
I keep the T-bone for my post-race meal!

It was mile 2 of the run....sorry for not clarifying better.

2010-08-06 10:21 AM

User image

Libertyville
I'll jump into the thread with an answer and another question for the group.

For spints, I think you could get away with a good pre-race meal and then something small in the middle of the bike.  If you're drinking Gatorade on the bike, that could even be enough possibly to get you through.  Definitely adding a gu or shots at about the turn of the bike would help.

Question I have is along simliar lines... Are there options to gus and cliff shots to eat during a race?  These things are SO expensive when they add up.  I'm trying to research and then try eating real foods or making my own things to eat on bikes and before I head out on the run.

In the old days, I know the triathletes ate candy bars and drank flat coke.  I'm wondering... would a granola bar work?  A banana?  Are there less expensive options that provide the same sustanance I need during an Olympic (or eventually a 70.3) than all those commercial products?

No, not a t-bone steak either!
2010-08-06 3:33 PM

Spring, Texas
I've been buying some protein and carb mixes at a local nutrition shop.  I went in yesterday and posed the question to the guy who runs the shop.  He showed me a bar called "Power Crunch".  He said that it was easy enough to carry and eat while riding (but, not for my level of riding), not as heavy as other bars so easier to eat and digest,  but it didn't have a creamy chocolate coating and it would hold up better than the other "protein" bars in the heat (that way you don't end up with a lump of melted "goo").  He said maybe even grab it in T2 and eat it while I start to run.  This only has 150 calories (I think), less than the other heavy power bars out there.  So it made since and I bought three to try out.  I figure it can't hurt. 
As far as how to use it, I think I'll open it pre-race, lay it next to my shoes (hope I don't step on it) and then just grab it when I go for my run.  I'm going to try it out in the morning and make sure I don't choke on it.
Anyway, there is substance to this bar versus the liquid from "gel" packs, so it makes since that it might help add a little something to the stomach. 
2010-08-06 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3028337

Veteran
South Shore, MA.
In general liquids will be processed during the race and solids will fill the hole....but watch the side cramps (stitches) on the run from stuff bouncing around. Also your body works harder to breakdown solids so find a middle ground. You still have to get through post race and a BP drop.
I tried Ritz peanutbutter crackers on the bike and run for the first time Sunday....wished I had some milk. I make Gator:  2tbl........ pink lemonade
                                1/4 t....... mortons low sodium salt
                                1 packet ...Stevia sweetner
                                mix in 32oz bottle....about 40 cents 

2010-08-07 8:03 AM

Spring, Texas
Well the power crunch wasn't what I thought it would be. 
It's tasty and lite.........like a wafer cookie.......but I needed milk too.......or anything to wash it down. 
I took one bite and then tossed it.
Now, I like it......I'm not bashing it........but it's not made to eat on the fly in a race.  Good eat it post workout or even pre workout.

I guess I'll try a little bigger breakfast (not IHOP style).  Maybe throw in a yogurt and then add an addtional bananna. 
2010-08-11 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3028979

User image

Expert
MI
Maybe try a slightly bigger dinner instead of the bigger breakfast.  Just a thought.  As was mentioned, side stitches may become a problem if you eat too much before the race.  Unfortunately I have personal experience!  Pretty sure that was the problem for my first two sprints.  Then for my third I really tried to limit my food (and drink) intake before the race, and no problems... of course, could have been a coincidence, but you know.  I was concerned with getting too hungry during the race and had loaded up on the food before the race, but honestly for me, being slightly hungry beats dealing with the side stitches!  I won't be eating so much in the future. Maybe it won't be a problem for you though.

As for expensive gel substitutes, I would love to find something as well... for my HIM, although I am not dead set on this, I think I will be using poptarts.  They've got a little bit of fat, but still enough carbs I think, and not too much volume for 200 calories a piece, so hopefully won't create side stitch problems (the thing I am most worried about!)... this is the way I'm thinking about it in my non-expert mind.   I just need to try to figure a way to consume with ease on the bike... I'm thinking about cutting the poptarts up into little pieces...
2010-08-11 3:49 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

Couple of thoughts; you dont really want protein bar during the race, more carbs, like Clif Bar or Power Bar.

Also, you may find it much easier to eat solid food such as a bar on the bike, rather than run. Have the bar in your bento box and eat as you ride.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-Race and During the race nutrition Rss Feed