General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking to fellow Texans for an answer. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-05 10:40 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-08-05 10:56 PM
in reply to: #3026635

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: Looking to fellow Texans for an answer.

I don't believe it's wise to do a HIM and IM in your first year.  That being said, I did the Longhorn HIM 3 months after buying my first bike and starting training.  Granted I was already in good shape and was 25 at the time, but it CAN be done. 

You've signed up and what's done is done.  You have LOT of work ahead of you.  If you apply yourself and manage not to burn out, I think you can finish the races.  Forget any time goals or expectations.  Find a good training plan and STICK TO IT.  I would greatly increase your biking and increase your running as much as you can without risking injury.     

I say this to help, not at as a criticism: the race times that you shared are pretty slow.  However, they're a start to build from and if you stay consistent with your training you can get there.  Use the forum for encouragement and advice.  Keep us updated and we'll help you out as you go!

2010-08-05 11:24 PM

Champion
marietta
Tri-Todd - 2010-08-05 10:40 PM I lurked for the longest time before logging on.  During my lurking days and since, I have read a lot of replys that indicate that a person can not or should not compete in a Half or Full Ironman in said time frame.  The above stated finally brings me to my question and please bear with and forgive me if I'm not addressing this in the right location.

On January 4th of this year I quit smoking after a pack a day habit for almost sixteen years "I'm only 34 now".  I decided that tri's would be a great way to keep me from smoking and it has.  When I made the decision I signed up for Longhorn HIM and just recently signed up for the Texas Ironman.  Anyhow the replies I have read are starting to make me wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew.  I have no illusions of placing, I have signed up for both with the goal of finishing in the alloted time.  To this point I have done three sprint Tri's most recently Couples Triathlon in Austin 1:35, a Half Marathon in July 2:24, 50 mile ride in May 3:16, along with some 5k's and training.  I did not put the times because I think there good (I know they are MOP at best), but wanted to make sure everyone had an idea of where I am at.  Between now and Austin My Plan is approximately 5 miles of swimming a week, 20ish miles of running a week and 40 -50 miles of cycling a week.  Thank you for your help and comments, I glady welcome training tips.  P.S. I just started the training log this week, which has been crazy (planning a camping trip for wife's B-Day).   

welcome todd.  congrats on quitting smoking.

looking at what you have in your logs, only a few days of course, and looking at your results from couples, a 10:48 pace (5k),  tells me you're probably not close to 20 mpw right now.  so if you do that in bold you're gonna get injured.  which makes everything else, longhorn, woody, etc... irrelevant.  

good luck. 
2010-08-06 5:11 AM

Master
Do you have a training plan or coach? If not then find a plan and get started working towards your goals. You say that your goal is to complete the races within the finishing time. But you also don't want to have a miserable day at the race because you're under trained. It is a lot easier to throw together a plan for shorter distances and then suck it up at the race. HIM or IM distances aren't races that you would want to try that at. It is going to take more than completing X amount of hours in each sport to complete the race. Which is why I suggested getting a good plan or a coach. There are many plans on BT or the internet to choose from.

Congrats on setting a goal. That is the first step. Now its time to get to work and start training for your races. Enjoy your journey.

Edited by Catwoman 2010-08-06 5:13 AM
2010-08-06 10:06 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-08-06 10:16 AM

Elite
Hurst, Texas

I'll take the opposite stance; I think your current times look fine for your stated goals, given the amount of time you have to prepare.  I started my journey in 2005 at age 35, more than a hundred pounds overweight.  By the end of my first year, and through about 80 pounds of weight loss, I had done 4-6 sprints, a couple 5ks and an olympic.   In January of 2006 I ran the Houston Half Marathon in 2:20.  So my pace was very similar to yours.  I completed IMCDA in June of 2006, 17 months into my fitness journey.   Was it the smartest road I could have taken??  Probably not, but I wouldn't change it. 

My point is, you have plenty of time to prepare for IMTX given your current fitness level, as long as you are willing to put in the time and effort.  And you have already stated that your goals are to finish within the cutoff times, so the fact that you may not be all that fast compared to others is not a big deal.  Get a solid training plan (or coach), stick to it, keep moving forward, and have fun!

2010-08-06 10:39 AM

I personally believe if your set on doing this and willing to put the time in and follow a set training plan for the IM then I see no problem. I personally went a little slower. I didn't do my first half til 15 months in but I also wanted to be fats and possibly place. I hope ya accomplish your goal and good luck. Mind over matter
2010-08-06 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3027461

Champion
the colony texas
while there is often good advice on BT, Don't put a lot of weight into the opinions of your goals/dreams from anonymous people on the net.

while it may not be what some would describe as the best way, it's not completely unheard of.  Train to the best of your ability and enjoy yourself. 

Finding a good coach or a tri club to learn from are great sugestions
2010-08-06 12:23 PM

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
It comes down to how much time and focus you have (or will have).  The long-course events require a lot of base-building - something you can't rush too much because you have to also allow your body time to recover - or injury is a major risk (ask me how I know...).  I've stayed away from them my first year since I know that building a good base for even an Olympic distance is going to be tough and my view of a "race" is something different - I want to be more than prepared for it where finishing isn't even a question. 

You are using the events as motivation for some life changes so that's a good thing - but make sure you have guidance (coach, tri-club, training plan...but don't forget nutrition, recovery, etc.).  The injury risk is very real and will set you back a lot if it happens. I've gotten some scares when I didn't take my own advice (a couple of weeks ago, I did a 50-mile bike ride then decided to brick a run after...I felt good so I kept running and did my longest run ever - 7 miles...had some slight strain that went away, then decided to run 4 miles the next day...finished feeling ok, but then my achilles started getting sore to the point where I was limping a few hours after the run...glad it went away the next day but considering I only run about 12-15 miles per week, doing 11 miles in 2 days was not very smart).

Also, if you're on an aggressive base-building HIM/IM plan, are you realistic about your ability to recover.  Can you get enough sleep in AND still do your workouts AND do all your daily activities (work can get in the way ....) AND balance life? You'll have to learn proper nutrition as well to help with recovery and improvements.

Your plan should have a variety in activities  but I can tell you immediately that your cycling plan is pretty weak (40-50 miles per week is way too little). I cycle around 120+ miles per week (averaging around 19-20mph) and I think that it barely meets the criteria for being ready to do the HIM 56-mile distance. Remember that cycling is the longest portion of the long-course events.  5 miles of swimming sounds like a lot in comparison to 40-50 miles of cycling...so that may have to be rebalanced if needed. 20'ish mpw sounds a bit low for HIM distance as that is close to what my target is for Olympic distance and that's only a 6.2 mile run vs 13+ miles.

Good luck!

2010-08-06 12:41 PM

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
First, welcome to BT! Second, as gaary pointed out, I'm just some guy on the internet, so bear that in mind while reading my opinions, for that's what they are.

I'll agree with Brandt (OldAg). Your times are not terribly slow and you have some time to work with before Austin 70.3 (which is what I think you're referring to, not the Austin Triathlon Olympic next month).

If you're realistic in your expectations, and it sounds like you are, I think you can get to the point of completion. Despite the doubling of the distance, you're actually better situated for IMTX than Austin 70.3. You've got just over 10 weeks for that one. That said, you need a plan. Your proposed swim volume looks fine, maybe even a little higher than absolutely necessary. Your run volume, depending on how you break it up, should be okay. The bike volume is almost certainly too low. Most plans you'll find, even those where the goal is just to finish, will have close to double that volume each week.

At a minimum, I would consider the following (which are pretty core principles):
- one long run each week, starting with the longest your comfortable doing now. Don't go out and run as far as you can. From there, add no more than 10% each week to gradually build the max distance. If you can't get to race distance in the time you have, get as close as you can, without breaking the 10% rule. To do otherwise is just asking for injury.
- one long ride each week, again starting at a comfortable distance and gradually building. If you can get to race distance, do it. The more of those you can do in the weeks before the race, the better.
- don't worry about tempo or interval workouts. That's the icing on the cake. You haven't even baked the cake yet. You workouts should be all about building your base fitness.
- the 10% rule applies to overall volume as well as individual workouts. In other words, don't increase your long runs or rides more than 10% week over week, but don't increase the total volume for the week by more than 10% either.
- as suggested, find a training group to join or a coach. They cost money, but especially when you're first starting out, can be an important resource.

So let's say a run of 7 miles and a ride of 30 are within your abilities right now. That would mean your progression of long workouts (many people ride Saturday, run Sunday) would look something like this:

Weeks left: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 Race
Long run: 7 7.75 8.5 9.5 6 10 11 12 13 8
Long ride: 30 35 40 45 35 50 55 60 60 30

That's just an example, of course. But it illustrates the point. Week 6 is basically a recovery week. Most people (though not all) will cut their volume back significantly every 4 weeks or so to give their body a chance to recoup. They don't stop training, they just cut the number of hours and the intensity.

ETA: well the spacing on that didn't come out nearly the way I typed it, so it's kind of hard to read.

Edited by dgunthert 2010-08-06 12:46 PM
2010-08-06 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3027851

Champion
the colony texas
dgunthert - 2010-08-06 12:41 PM First, welcome to BT! Second, as gaary pointed out, I'm just some guy on the internet, so bear that in mind while reading my opinions, for that's what they are. I'll agree with Brandt (OldAg). Your times are not terribly slow and you have some time to work with before Austin 70.3 (which is what I think you're referring to, not the Austin Triathlon Olympic next month). If you're realistic in your expectations, and it sounds like you are, I think you can get to the point of completion. Despite the doubling of the distance, you're actually better situated for IMTX than Austin 70.3. You've got just over 10 weeks for that one. That said, you need a plan. Your proposed swim volume looks fine, maybe even a little higher than absolutely necessary. Your run volume, depending on how you break it up, should be okay. The bike volume is almost certainly too low. Most plans you'll find, even those where the goal is just to finish, will have close to double that volume each week. At a minimum, I would consider the following (which are pretty core principles): - one long run each week, starting with the longest your comfortable doing now. Don't go out and run as far as you can. From there, add no more than 10% each week to gradually build the max distance. If you can't get to race distance in the time you have, get as close as you can, without breaking the 10% rule. To do otherwise is just asking for injury. - one long ride each week, again starting at a comfortable distance and gradually building. If you can get to race distance, do it. The more of those you can do in the weeks before the race, the better. - don't worry about tempo or interval workouts. That's the icing on the cake. You haven't even baked the cake yet. You workouts should be all about building your base fitness. - the 10% rule applies to overall volume as well as individual workouts. In other words, don't increase your long runs or rides more than 10% week over week, but don't increase the total volume for the week by more than 10% either. - as suggested, find a training group to join or a coach. They cost money, but especially when you're first starting out, can be an important resource. So let's say a run of 7 miles and a ride of 30 are within your abilities right now. That would mean your progression of long workouts (many people ride Saturday, run Sunday) would look something like this: Weeks left: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 Race Long run: 7 7.75 8.5 9.5 6 10 11 12 13 8 Long ride: 30 35 40 45 35 50 55 60 60 30 That's just an example, of course. But it illustrates the point. Week 6 is basically a recovery week. Most people (though not all) will cut their volume back significantly every 4 weeks or so to give their body a chance to recoup. They don't stop training, they just cut the number of hours and the intensity. ETA: well the spacing on that didn't come out nearly the way I typed it, so it's kind of hard to read.

this is a smart guy and a great post. 

I was more referring to the comment when you thought you have bitten off more than you can do.  Just keep training and you will be fine

2010-08-06 2:05 PM

Expert
Plano, TX

There, fixed that for you, Dennis.

Weeks left:10987654321Race
Long run:77.758.59.56101112138 
Long Ride:30354045355055606030 
2010-08-06 2:49 PM

Master
Houston, TX
Most posts have suggested a coach on here.  I'm going to have to second that suggestion.  There's a couple of things that I noticed looking through logs and reading your post.  your HIM is 2 months out.  you don't have a whole lot of time for error or wrong plan or injury or anything of that sort in my opinion.  That would be reason 1 to get a coach.  Based on your goals for the race, I think you should be fine to finish, but I also think you are going to need help with pace and nutrition plan for the race.  That would be reason 2 to get a coach.  If you have any weight you can drop between now and then it will make it easier too.  You might see some distance improvements.  Muscles won't have to work as hard pushing less weight.

Everyone has given you some pretty good advice, and I think you can get it done.  I just think you probably need more help than you have now based on your time constraints.

BTW, I'm not a coach and I don't have a coach (unless you count my swim coach).

best of luck dude.
2010-08-06 10:03 PM

Hi Tri Todd,

I assume you are training in Austin?  There is such a great Tri community here.  I am training for my first HIM (Conroe) and am just wrapping up week 14 of the 20 week BT training plan.  I have had coaches in the past and they are great, but I couldn't afford one this time around.  The great thing is that I have met so many people in triathlon that I am getting plenty of free advice and coaching.

I think you can do it, just pick up the training a bit.  Good luck and let us know how it goes! 
2010-08-07 4:32 AM
in reply to: #3028078

Elite
Spring, TX

Gaarryy - 2010-08-06 1:57 PM

I was more referring to the comment when you thought you have bitten off more than you can do.  Just keep training and you will be fine

I've read this thread a few times looking for someone who said that and I haven't seen it.  Were you referring to my comment that I don't think it's wise?  Which I followed up by saying it's exactly what I did!!!  I still don't think it's wise, but certainly doable.

Todd, for what it's worth, I wasn't trying to be harsh, but if you're going to do this I think it's important that you're realistic about where you are now and where you need to get to.  Do that and continue to seek advice, and you'll be good to go!

2010-08-07 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3028911

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
AndrewMT - 2010-08-07 4:32 AM

I've read this thread a few times looking for someone who said that and I haven't seen it.

Did you read the OP again? The phrase is in there verbatim.

That's what gaary was referring to. The OP said the replies he's read (presumably in the IMTX forum or elsewhere, not to this post) have made him second guess himself. Gaary was talking about those replies. In other words: don't listen too closely to random people on the internet who tell you that you can't do something.

Edited by dgunthert 2010-08-07 7:27 AM

2010-08-07 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3028954

Champion
the colony texas
dgunthert - 2010-08-07 7:25 AM
AndrewMT - 2010-08-07 4:32 AM I've read this thread a few times looking for someone who said that and I haven't seen it.
Did you read the OP again? The phrase is in there verbatim. That's what gaary was referring to. The OP said the replies he's read (presumably in the IMTX forum or elsewhere, not to this post) have made him second guess himself. Gaary was talking about those replies. In other words: don't listen too closely to random people on the internet who tell you that you can't do something.

bingo... I owe you a beer young man.

sorry for the confusion Andrew... my comment was NOT directed at you... totally poor phrasing on my part.  
2010-08-07 3:44 PM
in reply to: #3028954

Elite
Spring, TX

dgunthert - 2010-08-07 7:25 AM
AndrewMT - 2010-08-07 4:32 AM I've read this thread a few times looking for someone who said that and I haven't seen it.
Did you read the OP again?

Nope.  I was reading everything BUT the OP.  Figured it was one of the responses from one of us anonymous jerks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking to fellow Texans for an answer. Rss Feed