Hartfordmarathon.org
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 07m 37s
Overall Rank = 86/117
Age Group = 30-35 F
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

woke up early (5:15) due to Nate being up since 4:30. ate a bagel drank 1/2 cup coffee. Then packed car and left by 6:10
Event warmup:

walked around, got body marked, rode bike around parking lot.

Race Description: A Nissan Xterra Points Series Race--all on riverfront trails. Swim: point-to-point in the Connecticut River. Run: 2nd event travels on paved bike path, over Charter Oak Bridge, to dirt covered trails along river and finishes at new Riverside Boathouse. Bike: 2 loops (6 mile loop) using the entire park system on riverside trails.
Swim
  • 24m 13s
  • 1232 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in the second wave to start so I got to watch the first wave fight the current and confirm what I had already decided would be my game plan. Prior to the first wave start Nate and I sat and watched people warming up. They would enter the river and face up current at and start swimming and swimming strong. They were lucky if they stayed in place. Some were not so lucky and ended up slightly down stream. So my knowledge of current due to sail boat racing paid off for both Nate and I. We had planned on staying as far left as possible. This worked wonderfully. So the swim to the sand bar was not bad at all. Did a little drafting and then stood up and started running in knee deep of water. But as I was moving I felt a strange sensation around my ankle where my chip was. And next thing I knew the chip was gone. So here I go on a search and rescue mission for the chip, not only did I not want to go un-timed, but I didn’t want to pay the fee for the chip if it was lost. After 45 sec to 60 secs I found it and put it back on. But then 30 secs later it came off again. This time it only took me 20 sec to find it and tie it to my wrist. Got to edge of sandbar and swam up current to make the bridge section. I was the farthest left and still only made it by 5 feet. The people to the right got plastered against the 10foot wide cement bridge column and some how either made it through or went through the other arch. (no real policing of this area).

From here swim went smoothly, good sighting and breathing.
Exited the boat ramp and entered T1 (time included in swim time)
What would you do differently?:

bring own velcro so that if i think velcro on chip is old I can replace it. Otherwise nothing:)
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1: only had to put on shoes but the whole chip thing cost me more time. One official said ok to it being on my wrist, other said no and was determined to put it on my ankle with new Velcro he found. Cost me about 60 secs.

not loss chip
Bike
  • 1h 16m 41s
  • 12 miles
  • 9.39 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where my day went from really good to not so good. But I knew it would because I am not a mountain biker. With in the first 5 mins I threw a chain. Then took a really good spill. (now I have a 6-8" handle bar bruise on upper thigh). After that point I realized that I just needed to survive the course and finish with out getting injured. So I went slow and easy trying to get throught what I consider a challenging course. But in the end I had fun. And towards the end I even though to myself, once I am done with the ironman training I am going to hit the trails this fall to learn how to mountain bike. Then come back next year and do it the way it is meant to be done.

learn to mountain bike:)
get a camelpack for mtb so that i drink more
Transition 2
  • 00m 25s
Comments:

T2 was run to bike. only had to put on helmet and glasses and go.

nothing
Run
  • 26m 19s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off with a little bit of slosh stomach due to a good glup of river water. But picked up pace and passed 5 women. Once again the fastener gods were not with me, my race belt clip broke and race number fell off. Had to stop go back a couple feet and tie it on to waist. But rest of run was fun. The stair climb made the hr spike for a couple of seconds but passed 2 people on the way up.

Passed Nate with one mile to go. Got to transition and was told I was 2nd woman overall.

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, ate some watermelon and drank h20 and gatorade. Watched the awards. I won a nice large embroidered towel for 3rd in my age group.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not knowing how to ride the mountain bike

Event comments:

Really fun and different event. I think I would have given it a 5 rating if I did better on the mtb. Maybe next year. I highly recommend it to anyone who has an xterra event near them.

Last updated: 2005-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:13 | 1232 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 42/117
Performance: Good
Suit: none - due to water temp
Course: "Swim course is 7/10 mile the Connecticut River, beginning at Riverside Park and ending at Great River Park, East Hartford. Swimmers will be started in waves of 5-minute intervals. We anticipate 2 waves. In the middle of the swim course is a huge sand bar. You will run across the sand bar and back into the water. The sand bar will continue for a distance with the depth of water only 2-3 feet. Welcome to the world of Xterra! Keep all buoys to your left." – from web site. After the sand bar you had to swim cross current to make a bouy that marked the section of the first bridge you had to swim under. Then you swam with the current under another bridge to the exit boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:16:41 | 12 miles | 9.39 mile/hr
Overall: 99/117
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: "The Bike Course consists of 2 loops of a 6-mile course that now allows us to use the entire park system" - web site They forgot to mention the stream crossing 2 x with 10 foot rock embankments down and up, 4 x - 20 foot rock embankments up and 2 x dirt climb 20 feet (the X). (note: these were not small rocks but sharp cut bolders on the rock embankments).
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:19 | 03.1 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 62/117
Performance: Good
Course: Note: Run was 2nd after the swim Run course is 3.1 miles on paved bike paths and dirt trails with a stair climb to a pedestrian highway bridge crossing. Run course is marked with red signs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-18 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: Capital City DIRT Xterra Tri

2005-07-18 8:54 AM
in reply to: #200738

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Subject: RE: Capital City DIRT Xterra Tri
Great job Heidi.  Sounds like it was an adventure with your chip.  I never would have thought to bring extra velro, now I'm going to muy some and keep it in my tribag.  Sounds liek yuou had a great time in spite of the chip issue.
2005-07-18 9:18 AM

User image

Regular
Malibu, California
Welcome to the world of Xterra is right. I just finished my second one and wow...they are nuts.
2005-07-18 9:30 AM

Expert
Great job Heidi. I was at the race as well and I wish I had your insight into the swim. It was a real struggle out there for some of us.
2005-07-18 11:41 AM

New user
Great job on the swim and race!
2005-07-18 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
tough race. i would be so pissed if my chip came off. nice finish for all the troubles you had.

2005-07-20 5:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Excellent job Heidi - I'm really impressed that you not only raced your first Xterra, but that you decided you liked it and would train to conquer the course (after the IM no less!).

Congratulations on your second place finish - what a strong race, both physically and mentally!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital City DIRT Xterra Tri Rss Feed