General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When to move to a Tri bike from road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-09 10:32 AM

User image

Subject: When to move to a Tri bike from road bike
Hey all,

Wanted to get some opinions on this subject. I have read many threads and talked to others about road bike versus tri bike. I currently have a Cannondale CAAD 9 with aerobars and I otherwise have been very happy with it. Comfortable and I feel it performs well. It does seem a tribike has a lot to offer and I feel I am at the point I want to see if I can go for a better time (for myself). What are some considerations people have gone through when deciding to make the big switch. While money is somewhat an issue, I can probably get something in the ~4000 range later in the year. I have been looking at Cervelo P3 which many seem to rave about. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2010-08-09 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3031816

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: When to move to a Tri bike from road bike
Purchases like these are part practical and part emotional. Would you enjoy the sport more on a tri bike? (emotional). Would you be faster? (practical) Can you afford it? (practical) And so on.

My opinion is that if you can justify the purchase to yourself by whatever balance of practical and emotional that you have, go for it.

I bought my P3C after I completed my first Ironman (which I did on my Trek road bike with clip-on aerobars). I planned on doing more long distance triathlons and those get the most payoff from a tri bike with aero wheels. If I were doing shorter distance events I wouldn't have bought a tri bike because at my speed and competitiveness relative to the podium, the benefits aren't worth the cost. I really love riding my tri bike, though. Even on short rides.
2010-08-09 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3031816

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: When to move to a Tri bike from road bike
Izlude - 2010-08-09 11:32 AM Hey all,

Wanted to get some opinions on this subject. I have read many threads and talked to others about road bike versus tri bike. I currently have a Cannondale CAAD 9 with aerobars and I otherwise have been very happy with it. Comfortable and I feel it performs well. It does seem a tribike has a lot to offer and I feel I am at the point I want to see if I can go for a better time (for myself). What are some considerations people have gone through when deciding to make the big switch. While money is somewhat an issue, I can probably get something in the ~4000 range later in the year. I have been looking at Cervelo P3 which many seem to rave about. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you can afford it, get it.  You'll be faster.  Is it worth it?  That is totally up to you.  I built my bike over time to reduce expenses and get a bit more bang for the buck.  4k would buy you a pretty nice setup.  Make sure you get a fit first to see what bikes would be in your fit range.

Once you get that list, figure out which ones are in your price range, ride them a few times to get a feel for what you like, then pick one up and get a pro fit, no sense in buying a nice bike for aerodynamics and sitting high up in the wind like a sail, negating your 4k purchase.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When to move to a Tri bike from road bike Rss Feed