General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another IM Nutrition Thread....help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-09 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Tulsa
Subject: Another IM Nutrition Thread....help!

So i've done 6 HIM and 1 full IM in the last 2-3 years.  I had an awful IM run experience last year due to stomach issues.  I've even had some stomach issues at the HIM distance, but not to much. 

For the longer than HIM training and racing I have tried only GU's.  I have tried perpetum...tried sustained energy, tried infint, tried EFS, tried hammer gels, tried GU roctane. Tried snickers with GU's.....Basically I have tried everything that I can think of. 

My problem is that almost ALL of these things work fine when I do a long bike or long run, but just not a BRICK.  I can do all GU's or only sustained on the bike rides of 100 miles and feel fine.  But when I get off the bike and run....It hits me around mile 6-9.  My stomach is just completely full of fluid (sloshing), I feel sick and can't force anything down.

I know some of you are going to say pacing on the bike....But i have done LT HR tests and at the IM I kept my HR almost in zone 1 because I really wanted to have a good run.  My "should" bike split was probably around 6:10 and I did a 6:25.  Also, I take in less calories than I should because of this issue.  Probably around 200 an hour (165lb 5'10").  Is there any other types of nutrition to try?  What about maybe not taking in anymore calories when i have 45-60min left on the IM bike?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.  P.S.  I've tried to hire a nutrition coach, but can't find any around here.  I have tried a month with Marni Rakes on BT, but that was just an evalution of my current nutrition throughout the day.

2010-08-09 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3032328

Master
, California
Subject: RE: Another IM Nutrition Thread....help!
What about maybe not taking in anymore calories when i have 45-60min left on the IM bike?

I think a lot of people do this - about 30 mins for me, no intake except plain water until the run starts.
2010-08-09 12:54 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
The caloric intake is only half of what's going on. Fluid intake is the other but you don't give any info on what you're doing there.

Give a more detailed description of what you're eating/drinking and on what kind of schedule.
2010-08-09 6:28 PM

I had similar issues with running only workouts that translated to brick workouts as well when I started tri workouts.  It wasn't until I looked at my regular eating (i.e. breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) and cut out a lot of the junk I was prone to eating that my issues went away.  I love me some fruits and veggies BUT I am a self proclaimed potato chip junkie.  Sadly, I pretty much had to cut chips out completely to get rid of my issues.  The only other thing that has helped is taking a chewable Pepcid AC before workouts - but taking meds should only be a temporary solution to figuring out what the real problem is.

My only other suggestion is to go back to the Infinit (which works well for me) but to call them and talk through your issues and have them tailor a custom formula that works for you (maybe less protein).  You may have to experiment a little but seems like the Infinit team are very helpful and willing to work with people on issues like this.
2010-08-09 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3032368

User image

Expert
Tulsa

dgunthert - 2010-08-09 12:54 PM The caloric intake is only half of what's going on. Fluid intake is the other but you don't give any info on what you're doing there. Give a more detailed description of what you're eating/drinking and on what kind of schedule.

Well I usually only drink water with the GU or liquid drink stuff.  In terms of what I am eating well it's hard to say because i haven't really had long enough bricks this year yet to have the issues that i am talking about.  At Louisville I sipped my 3 hour bottle every 15min followed by lots of water.  As well as a small snickers ever 30min.  I am not totally sure how much I drank, but i feel like it was enough since i did have to pee at T2.  Now I currently am having problems getting enough fluid in with this heat we are having.

i did a sweat rate test running for 60min in 108F heat and i lost 100oz of fluid.  I mean can you really replace 100 oz an hour?  I know somewhere i read that after a 1% drop in body weight due to fluid loss it can affect your performance by 15%.  Anyway i am getting off topic somewhat. 

I know one thing that i remember for sure that I thought may have been some of the problem was that I probably took in 300 calories of my perpetum in the last 6 miles.  And that 300 calories sat in my stomach until it came up in the porta potty at mile 11.  Should I eat more early and start tapering down the calorie intake with 1.5hrs to go? To make sure that it is digested by the run? and then pick it back up during the run?

2010-08-10 12:16 AM
in reply to: #3033254

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
I had a similar problem to you.  I try to front-load my nutrition on the bike, and nothing in the last 30 min.  And for me I have to take salt tablets like it's my job, even in addition to the sports drink and Roctane I'm already taking.  It's all I can do to help digestion and avoid the sloshy stomach.  Once that's under control I feel great (well, as well as possible at the end of a HIM). 

2010-08-10 12:37 AM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
We just had a nutritionist giving a speech at our tri club.  Despite all the information I couldn't disseminate, the things I got from her was that you should have a primarily liquid diet during races, and you shouldn't eat solids right after the swim.

It was also mentioned that each GU needs 12-16 ounces of liquid to be absorbed properly.  Most people don't drink that much.
2010-08-10 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3033636

User image

Expert
Tulsa

Lilac J - 2010-08-10 12:16 AM I had a similar problem to you.  I try to front-load my nutrition on the bike, and nothing in the last 30 min.  And for me I have to take salt tablets like it's my job, even in addition to the sports drink and Roctane I'm already taking.  It's all I can do to help digestion and avoid the sloshy stomach.  Once that's under control I feel great (well, as well as possible at the end of a HIM). 

so salt or electrolytes can have an effect on digestion?  I know it effects cramping and such, but i didn't really know it helped the stomach issues?  Maybe i'll try that.

2010-08-10 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
I've had to fight through terrible stomach issues as well. I am now working with a sports nutrition/dietitian.  For me the key elements were:  I wasn't drinking enough water. I now drink 24 oz per hour when on the bike.  If you become dehydrated it will contribute to the stomach issues.  I also avoid high fiber food in the days preceding a race.  I also have simplified what types of sugars I take in as nutrition.   I found that gels (any brand) just don't sit well with me so I've eliminated them.  I have also eliminated sports drink.  Now I only use water, Shot Blocks, salt tabs, and for longer rides/races, a sunbutter (no peanuts for me) and jam sandwich cut in quarters.  Eat one quarter per hour. Total is about 200 -230 calories an hour.
 And since I eliminated sports drink the salt tabs are a must.  It has worked well so far. 

Edited by suzimmer 2010-08-10 2:37 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another IM Nutrition Thread....help! Rss Feed