General Discussion Triathlon Talk » need help figuring out a tempo run for Wed 8/11 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-09 10:00 PM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
Subject: need help figuring out a tempo run for Wed 8/11
I'm still feeling new at running, even though it's my second season.  The plan I'm using now calls for weeklyspeed work: tempo runs alternating with quarter mile intervals week by week.  Intervals I'm good with but I'm not real clear what tempo runs look like or what my pace goals should be.  I need to do a 3 mile tempo run this Wednesday.  Could someone look at my logs and suggest what I should do?  I've just gotten a Garmin 310CX but don't have a heart monitor to play with yet (next on my list :-)  I understand that I can put a workout onto the 310 but haven't done that yet.  Thanks so much.

2010-08-09 10:15 PM
in reply to: #3033507

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: need help figuring out a tempo run for Wed 8/11
I hope this isn't discouraging -- it isn't meant to be!  But your logs are showing an average of <10 miles per week.  I think that you should be focused on increasing volume and not worried so much about tempo, intervals, etc.

I would say that if you are feeling good, throw in a mile or two at a slightly harder effort and call that 'tempo'.  If you aren't feeling good, just run easy.
2010-08-10 5:27 AM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
I've got my run plans in through October and and building volume is by far the main focus.  This summer I dropped down to the levels called for with my Sprint plan and now am ramping back up to 1/2mary levels.  I still would appreciate some help understanding what a tempo run is and how you pick your goals and pace for it.
2010-08-10 6:33 AM

User image

Runner
"Tempo run" is one of the most over-used terms in running, and everyone has a different definition of what it is. Here's my definition:

A tempo run is a run that is down at a moderate, steady effort level. You should be on that fine line between hurting and taking it easy. Not huffing and puffing, but you can feel your legs working. I generally do this for about 40-60 minutes total time. I start a little easier and build into the effort I want.

I find pace to be immaterial for this, but that's me.

Feel the running fu.

I agree with the above poster that you probably don't need tempo runs right now, they are going to be counterproductive.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » need help figuring out a tempo run for Wed 8/11 Rss Feed