General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Confused newb with Heart rate/VO2 test questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-10 12:33 AM

Veteran
Eugene
Subject: Confused newb with Heart rate/VO2 test questions
Hello everyone.

I took a VO2 max test a few months ago, acting as a test animal for some friends of mine.  They bought the equipment for a business that they are starting and needed to get experience using the equipment, so they asked if I would do a test for them.

This was done on my tri bike.  At the time of the test I think I'd owned my bike for 4-5 months, and it I'd put the least focus into cycling out of the 3.  At the time I had just run a marathon, and obviously focused mostly on running. Also, this was my first bike with more than one gear, sooo... Not a whole lot of cycling experience.

Here are my results, on the computer it said my "Max" if I were at my max heart rate of 197 bpm, is 62 ml/o2/kg min, or whatever the measurement, which was not printed on the page...

Okay I scanned my VO2 test sheet and I cant get it uploaded in its current PDF format.  Can anyone help me with this?  I can email the file to someone, if they could post it here for me.

I'm 23, male, 6'2" (they put 6'3" for height on the test for some reason), 170 lbs, BMI 21.2.

Aerobic Threshold is at 158 bpm and burns 860 calories per hour (38.6 VO2)
Anaerobic threshold is at 173 bpm and burns 1136 calories per hour (49.1 VO2)
Peak was 187 bpm burning 1253 calories per hour (VO2 56.3)
VO2 at Max heart rate of 197 is 62

The test was weird, the equiptment was stressfull just to wear, and I feel like I couldnt move my head at all or the mask would leak.

So the reason I post this is because I raced yesterday (Haul'n Aspen trail half marathon, 1,300 ft elevation increase).  This is the first time I've worn a heart rate monitor during a race, and possibly the last.  I have my limits set at like 120 bpm-175 bpm.  I'm not sure why I originally set this at 175, I think its because I did a generic calculation to find my maximum HR, and then took a generic number off of that for a good maximum training BPM (dont make the mistake of thinking I know what I'm doing!). SO, my monitor beeped the entire race. I thought my HR would drop after the first few miles, and kind of stabilize.  Totally didnt. I didnt want to turn the watch off because I wanted my time, and my HR average, and max. 

Total time 1:52:26
Max Heart rate 197 (!!!  My friends who tested me said this was my MAX.  Is this even healthy)
Average Heart rate 180

So this just seems weird to me that my heart rate was so damn high. Is this normal? I mean I know everyone's heart rate is different, but should someone be right on the edge of their "anaerobic threshold" for this long? In my VO2 max test, I only could hit 187 bpm before my legs absolutely failed me, why could I only go that far on the bike but was able to hit 197 in the middle of a 2 hour long running race (My theoretical "Maximum HR")? I held myself back a little bit intentionally on this race as it was my first longish trail run, and my first very hilly running race, I got done and felt I could have gone much faster.  I think pushing myself to the limit I could have gone 1:45 or so.

According to the test, I should burn 2000 calories at this rate.  I think I had 1 cliff shot block @ 1 hour, 12 oz of Hammer Heed in the first hour, and then another block at 1:30. Am I way under fueling?

Thanks for all the replies, I apologize for the extreme newbitude if these are retarded questions!

-Max

2010-08-10 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3033643

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Confused newb with Heart rate/VO2 test questions
My personal opinion is that you need to stop worrying about those numbers, put down the heart monitor, and just go out and train. Relax, enjoy yourself for a bit.

Technology is fallible.
2010-08-10 6:44 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Does your printout say NewLeaf on it by any chance?

Shane
2010-08-10 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3033755

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
gsmacleod - 2010-08-10 7:44 AM Does your printout say NewLeaf on it by any chance?

Shane

I'm guessing yes (especially because it told him how many calories he is burning).

To OP:  operator or equipment error sounds like a real possibility here.  In addition, conditions can dictate how high you can get your HR before your muscles give out.  If you did the test well hydrated, in a cool environment, etc..., then maybe your legs give out at 187bpm.  Now add the outdoors, heat, whatever, and that same 187bpm can show up before your legs turn to jelly.
2010-08-10 7:31 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
1st never run a race with the $^#%& zone alarm turned on!

Here's the BT article for determining LT using field testing.  Also this is the thread which the article was derived from with a lot of Q&A info.

Bike is usually < the run because the run has to support 100% of your weight.

Either learn to use the HR properly or dump it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Confused newb with Heart rate/VO2 test questions Rss Feed