General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Help, not sure what to do Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-10 5:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Need Help, not sure what to do
Did a "mini" sprint on Sunday.  When I got off the bike my calves were very tight for the first 3/4 mile, felt like I might have a full blown charlie horse but then was able to run through it.  Yesterday my left calf was screaming.  I did RICE all day.  This morning when I got out of bed I could barely put pressure on the calf.  Once I got moving it loosen up and was ok to walk.  Icing as I am writing this.  I have my favorite Sprint on the 21st and want to be ready.  So what is my best bet to recovery in less than 2 weeks?  I thought today, second day, would be worse and I am right.  I scheduled a massage for tomorrow.  I walked about a mile and a half yesterday and that actually makes it feel better (It is bad when I first get up from a chair or out of bed.)  Thought an easy swim today and see how I feel tomorrow before an easy bike?  I also have a great A.R.T. chiropractor, but not sure if I could stand the pain right now, it is very tender to the touch. 

What has been your expereince with this type of muscle soreness? And what is the best approach for me.  I am open for suggestions.  Thanks!

2010-08-10 6:03 AM
in reply to: #3033696

User image

Subject: RE: Need Help, not sure what to do
Massage. Gentle and working to almost painful massage. It'll go away in a day or so after that.
2010-08-10 6:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
Do you have a foam roller or a massage stick?

I have had calf strains in both legs (twice over on one side) and what worked best for me was rest (no running for about a week), massage with the foam roller/massage stick and ice.  I would ice 3x per day for 20 minutes each time.

The good news is that it loosens up for you once you move around, but you've got to give it some 'time off' to heal completely.

2010-08-10 6:57 AM

User image

I seem to have not posted the second half of what I was saying.

The Stick. It's an excellent thing to have around the house and is perfect for days exactly as you're describing. Start lightly and work heavier and heavier into the muscle and it'll work itself out in a couple days. Then you don't have to wait until your next massage date.
2010-08-10 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Is this a time when advil would be ok to use?  And if yes, how much?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Help, not sure what to do Rss Feed