General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital City Dirt Triathlon - Xterra Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital City Dirt Triathlon - Xterra - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Hartford, CT
United States
Hartford Marathon Foundation
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 58m 45s
Overall Rank = 68/117
Age Group = 4044M
Age Group Rank = 11/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30. Had English Muffin w/pb & honey and left for race. Got to site at 6:30, got marked and set up transition
Event warmup:

Was able to get in a ride on the start of the bike course up to the stream crossing then turned around. Got to follow a couple wild turkeys down the path for a while.
Got in a quick swim to check the water.
Swim
  • 25m 54s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

THis was an interesting swim. I was able to get to and over the sandbar without any trouble. The next job was to get to the bridge under the third arch. Unfortunately I got caught in the current and ended up closer to the next arch over. I tried to get around but couldn't. Several other people were in the same predicament so we were allowed to keep going. Probably lost about 30/445 seconds trying to get back on course plus the against the current swim took a bit out of me.
After that I tried to get back into my rhythm and just finish. Was kind of surprised at the time as I didn't think I had lsot that much time but I guess the effort took more than I thought.
What would you do differently?:

Work with the current more!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Time included in the swim.
The run was second event in this race so I put on my shoes, race elt and a couple sips of Gatorade from a bottle I put in my bag and headed out.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 05m 36s
  • 12 miles
  • 10.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Since I am not really a mountain biker I had no expectations going into this section but hoped I could do it without crashing and have a decent time. The first loop went well due to the fact that ignorance is bliss! NO knowing what to expect I just rode it out of instinct and felt I did well. I was able to pass more people than passed me until the end of the loop. As we came around for the second loop several people passed me and I could not keep up. Made it through the second loop and felt pretty good about the ride since it was my first real mountain bike trail ride.

Ride more trails to gain experience.
Transition 2
  • 00m 23s
Comments:

No problems in T2 since I didn't have to change shoes it was just get the helmet on, grab the bike and go.
Run
  • 26m 53s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Had some problems running at first due to drinking too much river water. Once my stomach settled I got into a better stirde and did okay getting up the steps and over the bridge. Was passed by a about three or four people but was able to also pick off about four people who came out of the water ahead of me.

Drink less river water!!
Post race
Warm down:

JUumped back in the river to wash off the mud. Got something to eat and took off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inablity to swim in a current. Lack of time on the mountain bike.
(Of course that afternoon my kids wanted to go for a ride so we explored some trails in our town so my training for next year has begun!)

Event comments:

This was a hard race for me due to the river swim and mountain bike but if my schedule permits I will be back next year!

Last updated: 2005-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:54 | 1000 meters | 02m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 68/117
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: The swim is a river swim from one side to the other. About two hundred yards into the swim ther is a sandbar to run across
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:36 | 12 miles | 10.98 mile/hr
Overall: 75/117
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Two loops through the park over varied conditions. Biggest obsacle while riding was lots of roots. Had to dismoutn to cross a stream, and also to climb to the top of the dike twice.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:23
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:53 | 03.1 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 67/117
Performance: Average
Course: Course weet over paved and unpaved riverside trails. The main challenge was to go up and over a bridge across the river so you had to climb a series of stairs to get up to the bridge.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-18 11:33 AM

New user
Subject: Capital City Dirt Triathlon - Xterra

2005-07-18 11:39 AM
in reply to: #201080

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: RE: Capital City Dirt Triathlon - Xterra
Nice Race! Seems like we were in similar situations with our lack of MTB time. But you faired much better then I. It was such a great experience, even with all the obsticles, that I can not see not doing again next year. Definiately with more trail riding under my belt.

Congrat on a great race.
2005-07-18 12:31 PM
in reply to: #201080

Expert
Subject: RE: Capital City Dirt Triathlon - Xterra

Great race out there. It looks like we all had similar river problems. I think it just added to the excitement. I still remember my first time mountain biking. I was terrified and couldn't ride anything. It only takes a few times to get comfortable. If you do any riding next year, the course will seem easy for you.

The only thing that will keep me from the race next year will be scheduling

Stone
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital City Dirt Triathlon - Xterra Rss Feed