General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting the Cortisone shot Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-08-16 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3041616

Regular
Subject: RE: Getting the Cortisone shot
Just one more thought on the shot. I got multiple shots to get me through my high school junior and senior year swim seasons. The shots hurt, but I figured it was because of the amount of muscle they had to go through. I always felt better after getting them, and they allowed me to swim at a very high level (both volume and speed), but I wonder now what the long term effects are on my shoulders. I know that my issues were caused by poor form, and were corrected while I was in college by a coach. Once I corrected the root cause of poor form, I have never needed the shot again. I would be very careful about how much and how hard you push to get through an Ironman after getting the shot. You could end up finishing the race only to never race again.

2010-08-16 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
Tore my ACL a second time right before the winter.. I am a big skier and had a few trips planned.  The doctor gave a cortisone shot in my knee.  It didn't really hurt all that bad but i had a weird reaction to it.  The next few days after that my skin was warm to the touch, almost like i had a sunburn, and i felt like my core temp was hot too.  The shot worked great though!!!!
2010-08-16 6:13 PM

User image

Regular
Had it in my left shoulder last year for my rotator cuff and it hurt something awful and did not work.  Had my shoulder dislocated in HIM this summer and thinking of getting one to settle down a few things that are going on.   Not really looking forward to it though!!
2010-08-17 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Got the shot about 12 hours ago...not so bad, no worse than an IV.  Leg has held up pretty good all day.  No new aches but it is kind of feeling "fat" right now.  I figure tomorrow morning will be a good tell as to how it really feels.  Funny thing is the doc said no exercise today but if I felt like running tomorrow to go for it.  Just no heavy lifting for a couple of days.  Thanks for all the comments, went smooth though.....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting the Cortisone shot Rss Feed  

of 2