Seafair/Benaroya Research Institute
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 14s
Overall Rank = 197/1170
Age Group = 16-19
Age Group Rank = 5/16
Pre-race routine:

Got up, got dressed and drove over to the site. Left the house around 4:50ish because the TA was opening up at 5:15. Arrived, setup my site, ate a clif bar, and just hung around in TA -- guarding the stuff (didn't want anyone to move my stuff around, as the racks were getting crowded)
Event warmup:

Nothing really...a bit of stretching, but nothing intense.
Swim
  • 14m 32s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Unfortunately, after the first turn the sun was directly in our eyes -- so the following buoys along that leg of the triangle were basically impossible to see. Just followed everyone else :-P

Maybe next year they'll have us go counter-clockwise (meaning left turns, meaning sun's at our back)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really...the swim was pretty rough at the get go -- jockeying for position, but around the halfway mark it actually became a decent swim -- one where I could actually stretch out and see what's going on. It was good minus the sun stuff.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Had a smidgen of difficulty with mounting the bike -- couldn't get my cleat into the pedal...but once I got it in, it was great!

NO SOCKS.
Bike
  • 36m 38s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.65 mile/hr
Comments:

The winds across the bridge got pretty intense, enough to change my pace. And on the way back, I felt a headwind coming towards the transition area....wasn't diggin' that.

nothing really
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

First time using the yankz in transition....went alright, just need to ditch the socks next time, they became an issue when I was tossing the shoes on.

No socks....learn to ride on top of the shoes.
Run
  • 26m 36s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

That hill sucked. Had to walk up it I was so tired...also my calves were killing me. However, I'm pleased with the times that I posted...8:35 per mile? Not too bad, I think.

I'm really glad that I sprinted at the finish though -- while showing that I had some left in me, at least I finished hard.

Nothing really....just for next time I'm going to do more running in preparation.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around trying to bring the heart rate down...drank water and had a half of a banana. Also had some Jamba Juice :)

Finished with a massage, which hurt because my muscles were so tight :-/

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running training...looks like I could've mustered up a third place finish if I had a better run. Possibly my T2 was a bit long too...

Event comments:

Really enjoyed the race overall. The swim could've been done a bit better, but overall I enjoyed it.

Last updated: 2005-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:32 | 880 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 49/1170
Performance: Good
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Triangular course, out to a buoy, sharp right, go to another buoy, sharp right, head to basically where we started and enter T1.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:38 | 12 miles | 19.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 239/1170
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Out onto nice and flat Lk Wash Blvd...a few good turns..then we went up a rather rigorous hill/service road to get onto the express lanes. Then took the express lanes all the way over to Mercer Island, through the tunnel, turned around and went back the same path. On the return I saw people walking their bikes up that service road/hill thing. So it was pretty severe :-P
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:36 | 03.1 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 637/1170
Performance: Average
Course: Around Seward Park's trails....basically all flat with the exception of one killer hill -- go up it to get to your last water station, then you come down it, round the corner (back on flat terrain) and you heard the finish line cheering -- great motivation :)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-18 2:08 PM

User image

Bellevue, WA/Chicago, IL
Subject: Seafair Triathlon

2005-07-18 7:02 PM
in reply to: #201346

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Seafair Triathlon

Good job, the bike course sounds like the opposite of the Escape From Mercer Island sprint tri.

Hopefully you can send out some e-mail to the race directors pointing out the swim into the sunrise.

2005-07-18 11:06 PM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,

Great race!  I think I saw you wandering around before we were ushered into the "staging area". Were you wearing a red drag suit and orange swedes?

I had the same problem with the sun!  It totally sucked!  It really slowed down my swim.  I swear the course was long too.  I was one of those people walking my bike up Day St.  and I walked up that hill on the run course.

2005-07-19 9:51 AM

User image

Bellevue, WA/Chicago, IL
spence - yea, I might...I don't think it'd be terribly hard for them to implement either...

harmony - hah, that could've been me at the LAST triathlon! At this one I wore a red desoto tritop and some trishorts...but I did wear swedes -- 'cept they were "smoke" :-p But I know who you're thinking of. I went up to them at my last tri because I was sportin' the drag suit just like they were and everyone else had wetsuits...
2005-07-19 12:16 PM

User image

So were you glad to have a smaller (participant wise) tri under the belt before the larger tri? 

2005-07-19 8:50 PM

User image

Bellevue, WA/Chicago, IL
yes and no...

I personally thought that the people at the Issaquah one were a bit more hospitable (the people being the athletes) but then again, I didn't go around saying "so, this is my first triathlon what do I do.......?"

However, when you say that you were 197th out of 1200, it sounds a lot better than 180th out of 400 :-P

but I think it all comes down to just getting out there and doing more of them. Experience is the best teacher.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Seafair Triathlon Rss Feed