General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tell us your non endurance plans outside of racing / sanctioned events Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-08-13 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3043085

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Subject: RE: Tell us your non endurance plans outside of racing / sanctioned events
Donskiman - 2010-08-13 4:25 PM
furiousferret - 2010-08-13 12:26 PM I'm sure I'm not the only one that has plans for an individual endurance events (i.e. non sanctioned / race) goal on this board, and I'm curious what others have planned. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the last 2-3 years, I've had a goal to run from my house, through the San Bernardino Mountains, to Big Bear.  This is roughly 26 miles, going from an elevation of 2,000 cresting a peak at 8,000 and ending at Big Bear (7,000 ft). 

To be honest, I'm not even sure its possible.  Its all dirt trails, I don't have any idea how they're maintained, but they are on a map as fire roads.  The smart thing would be to preview it on an MTB but then I'd lose alot of the allure.  Add to the fact you are about as far away to civilization as one can be in the Los Angeles region, and you need to replenish food and water every few miles.  Being in the middle of nowhere I'd actually have to have a group go ahead, and drop off food and water.  I'd also probably have a running partner.  There are an abundance Mountain Lions and Bears in the area and running in an area less traveled makes it more dangerous.

As to why do this?  Because its there, and I really like to travel / hike / run in the backwoods, leaving my 7 million neighbors, and go to a place where there's solititude.  Its hard to find around here.  When I was younger I did this alot, just pointed to a remote area and ran.  Now I'm far more paranoid of mountain lions, bears, and people with banjos.

I'm also planning on dragging the wife up Mt Whitney but that's going to be harder because I'll have to push her along the way to get there (she wants to do it but doesn't want to put in the work). 

I'm hoping maybe in 2012 I can do the run, as I'd have to give it all the respect and training of an A race. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any others?

Sounds cool! More like an ultramarathon kind of thing. Read this guy's blog to get an idea of what he does for runs like this.
http://antonkrupicka.blogspot.com/
He also encountered a bear on the trail and has a story about it in one of his posts.

We have a trail here that I've thought about running from end to end. It's about 40-45 miles. No huge elevation changes, some is paved, most is dirt/gravel. I have run on all of it at one time or another, just not all at once.

Read and Enjoyed.  Bookmarked. 

2010-08-13 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3043085

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Subject: RE: Tell us your non endurance plans outside of racing / sanctioned events
Donskiman - 2010-08-13 4:25 PM
furiousferret - 2010-08-13 12:26 PM I'm sure I'm not the only one that has plans for an individual endurance events (i.e. non sanctioned / race) goal on this board, and I'm curious what others have planned. 

For the last 2-3 years, I've had a goal to run from my house, through the San Bernardino Mountains, to Big Bear.  This is roughly 26 miles, going from an elevation of 2,000 cresting a peak at 8,000 and ending at Big Bear (7,000 ft). 

To be honest, I'm not even sure its possible.  Its all dirt trails, I don't have any idea how they're maintained, but they are on a map as fire roads.  The smart thing would be to preview it on an MTB but then I'd lose alot of the allure.  Add to the fact you are about as far away to civilization as one can be in the Los Angeles region, and you need to replenish food and water every few miles.  Being in the middle of nowhere I'd actually have to have a group go ahead, and drop off food and water.  I'd also probably have a running partner.  There are an abundance Mountain Lions and Bears in the area and running in an area less traveled makes it more dangerous.

As to why do this?  Because its there, and I really like to travel / hike / run in the backwoods, leaving my 7 million neighbors, and go to a place where there's solititude.  Its hard to find around here.  When I was younger I did this alot, just pointed to a remote area and ran.  Now I'm far more paranoid of mountain lions, bears, and people with banjos.

I'm also planning on dragging the wife up Mt Whitney but that's going to be harder because I'll have to push her along the way to get there (she wants to do it but doesn't want to put in the work). 

I'm hoping maybe in 2012 I can do the run, as I'd have to give it all the respect and training of an A race. 

Any others?

Sounds cool! More like an ultramarathon kind of thing. Read this guy's blog to get an idea of what he does for runs like this.
http://antonkrupicka.blogspot.com/
He also encountered a bear on the trail and has a story about it in one of his posts.

We have a trail here that I've thought about running from end to end. It's about 40-45 miles. No huge elevation changes, some is paved, most is dirt/gravel. I have run on all of it at one time or another, just not all at once.

Read and Enjoyed.  Bookmarked. 
2010-08-13 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3042530

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-08-13 10:59 PM

Kilimanjaro not technical but not easy either. Like I said not a climber. not going to do the 7 summits or anything. Just one of those things I've dreamed of. Kind of thought thats what the thread was about. Either way its cool to see so many interests. If I lived inCali I'd be down to join you for that run dude
2010-08-13 11:39 PM

Veteran
Raeford, North Carolina
Urbanathlon Chicago - Oct 2010Not sure if anyone else said this yet...this will be my first and I'm really pumped for it!
2010-08-14 7:04 AM

Master
I started playing basketball again this week, now that my season's done. Through the school year, I do weekly 1 mile races with the 5th graders. This is partly to get young runners hooked and partly to get a little speed workout in. In high school, the mile was an endurance race to me, but it doesn't seem that way now.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tell us your non endurance plans outside of racing / sanctioned events Rss Feed  

of 2