General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tell us your non endurance plans outside of racing / sanctioned events Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-08-13 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Subject: Tell us your non endurance plans outside of racing / sanctioned events
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has plans for an individual endurance events (i.e. non sanctioned / race) goal on this board, and I'm curious what others have planned. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the last 2-3 years, I've had a goal to run from my house, through the San Bernardino Mountains, to Big Bear.  This is roughly 26 miles, going from an elevation of 2,000 cresting a peak at 8,000 and ending at Big Bear (7,000 ft). 

To be honest, I'm not even sure its possible.  Its all dirt trails, I don't have any idea how they're maintained, but they are on a map as fire roads.  The smart thing would be to preview it on an MTB but then I'd lose alot of the allure.  Add to the fact you are about as far away to civilization as one can be in the Los Angeles region, and you need to replenish food and water every few miles.  Being in the middle of nowhere I'd actually have to have a group go ahead, and drop off food and water.  I'd also probably have a running partner.  There are an abundance Mountain Lions and Bears in the area and running in an area less traveled makes it more dangerous.

As to why do this?  Because its there, and I really like to travel / hike / run in the backwoods, leaving my 7 million neighbors, and go to a place where there's solititude.  Its hard to find around here.  When I was younger I did this alot, just pointed to a remote area and ran.  Now I'm far more paranoid of mountain lions, bears, and people with banjos.

I'm also planning on dragging the wife up Mt Whitney but that's going to be harder because I'll have to push her along the way to get there (she wants to do it but doesn't want to put in the work). 

I'm hoping maybe in 2012 I can do the run, as I'd have to give it all the respect and training of an A race. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any others?

2010-08-13 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3042530

Subject: RE: Tell us your non endurance plans outside of racing / sanctioned events
My plan is to call out the guys from ST to a smack down crush thier dreams.
2010-08-13 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: RE: Tell us your non endurance plans outside of racing / sanctioned events
That sounds like an awesome goal! I suppose you could pack a back pack as light as possible. How do you plan on getting back?

I ask because my goal is to bike to the beach, but then I have to get home. It was a lot easier when I was in college and decided we could bike the 5 miles to the beach. It was hopefully more than that, because it took us an hour. Now it's a 145 mile trip and if I go to the beach I want to spend some time there. I'll probably just have the family go down in the car and ride back with them after a day or two at the beach. Still, if I was a real man, I'd carry a tent and bike both ways. This trip is still at least a year are for me no matter how I plan to get back.
2010-08-13 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Okay, these are sounding very much like ENDURANCE plans.
2010-08-13 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3042599

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
monkeyboy64 - 2010-08-13 1:47 PM Okay, these are sounding very much like ENDURANCE plans.

Or more specifically, non NON ENDURANCE PLANS.... 
2010-08-13 1:52 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

I just read LA's book 'It's not about the bike'.  Just found out, after his surgery, he was having a tough time getting back on the bike.  He decided he'd go somewhere he loved, to see if he still wanted to ride.

That spot's about 1.5hrs from here.  I wanna go ride it and see what it's all about.

2010-08-13 2:10 PM

User image

furiousferret - 2010-08-13 9:26 AM I'm sure I'm not the only one that has plans for an individual endurance events (i.e. non sanctioned / race) goal on this board, and I'm curious what others have planned. 

For the last 2-3 years, I've had a goal to run from my house, through the San Bernardino Mountains, to Big Bear.  This is roughly 26 miles, going from an elevation of 2,000 cresting a peak at 8,000 and ending at Big Bear (7,000 ft). 

To be honest, I'm not even sure its possible.  Its all dirt trails, I don't have any idea how they're maintained, but they are on a map as fire roads.  The smart thing would be to preview it on an MTB but then I'd lose alot of the allure.  Add to the fact you are about as far away to civilization as one can be in the Los Angeles region, and you need to replenish food and water every few miles.  Being in the middle of nowhere I'd actually have to have a group go ahead, and drop off food and water.  I'd also probably have a running partner.  There are an abundance Mountain Lions and Bears in the area and running in an area less traveled makes it more dangerous.

As to why do this?  Because its there, and I really like to travel / hike / run in the backwoods, leaving my 7 million neighbors, and go to a place where there's solititude.  Its hard to find around here.  When I was younger I did this alot, just pointed to a remote area and ran.  Now I'm far more paranoid of mountain lions, bears, and people with banjos.

I'm also planning on dragging the wife up Mt Whitney but that's going to be harder because I'll have to push her along the way to get there (she wants to do it but doesn't want to put in the work). 

I'm hoping maybe in 2012 I can do the run, as I'd have to give it all the respect and training of an A race. 

Any others?

That sounds like an awesome goal...but the bolded statements remind me of a common theme when watching the show "I shouldn't be alive".
2010-08-13 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3042621

User image

Master
PNW
nc452010 - 2010-08-13 11:52 AM

I just read LA's book 'It's not about the bike'.  Just found out, after his surgery, he was having a tough time getting back on the bike.  He decided he'd go somewhere he loved, to see if he still wanted to ride.

That spot's about 1.5hrs from here.  I wanna go ride it and see what it's all about.

It's awesome.  I've ridden there - it's where my avatar was taken. 

My only long term endurance related goal (non-sanctioned) is to successfully ride up this hill near my house.  It's not long - so I'm not sure it's really about endurance...but it's definitely tough.  1000ft of elevation gain in less than a mile.  17% grades in two spots.  I'll feel like a rockstar if I can make it to the top without stopping and without busting a blood vessel in my head...

Edited by GLC1968 2010-08-13 2:16 PM
2010-08-13 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3042661

Expert
tri808 - 2010-08-13 3:10 PM
furiousferret - 2010-08-13 9:26 AM I'm sure I'm not the only one that has plans for an individual endurance events (i.e. non sanctioned / race) goal on this board, and I'm curious what others have planned. 

Any others?

That sounds like an awesome goal...but the bolded statements remind me of a common theme when watching the show "I shouldn't be alive".

haha yes they do.

My plans include sleeping and also trying to meet more people my age..since usually all of my life is focused on training
2010-08-13 2:29 PM

Regular
Back in college I used to do an annual Black Diamond Tour of Telluride (my hometown) on winter breaks, where I did every black diamond run on the mountain in as little time as possible.  I'm planning to revive the tradition this year, which will be much more of a challenge because since the last time I did it they've added another lift and a crapload more hike-to terrain.  The hike-to will kill you.

I don't think I can do it in three days like I used to, but I'm going to shoot for five.

Then I'll spend the next five days sleeping, probably.
2010-08-13 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3042619

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
faded_memories - 2010-08-13 11:51 AM
monkeyboy64 - 2010-08-13 1:47 PM Okay, these are sounding very much like ENDURANCE plans.

Or more specifically, non NON ENDURANCE PLANS.... 

Yeah, I borked the title

2010-08-13 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3042588

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
DMarkSwan - 2010-08-13 11:43 AM That sounds like an awesome goal! I suppose you could pack a back pack as light as possible. How do you plan on getting back?

I ask because my goal is to bike to the beach, but then I have to get home. It was a lot easier when I was in college and decided we could bike the 5 miles to the beach. It was hopefully more than that, because it took us an hour. Now it's a 145 mile trip and if I go to the beach I want to spend some time there. I'll probably just have the family go down in the car and ride back with them after a day or two at the beach. Still, if I was a real man, I'd carry a tent and bike both ways. This trip is still at least a year are for me no matter how I plan to get back.

I have no dreams of doubling it, my wife will meet me in Big Bear and we'll either drive down or stay the night. 
2010-08-13 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3042588

User image

Expert
Raleigh
DMarkSwan - 2010-08-13 1:43 PM That sounds like an awesome goal! I suppose you could pack a back pack as light as possible. How do you plan on getting back?

UNCW Alum? if so, what year?
2010-08-13 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3042621

User image

Expert
Raleigh
nc452010 - 2010-08-13 1:52 PM

In NC?? obviously, haven't read the book.
2010-08-13 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3042661

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
tri808 - 2010-08-13 12:10 PM

Any others?

Its safer than cycling some of the roads around here, and if I'm going to go, It might as well be like this:

Go to 1:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75O_JBfpX7I 

I'd take that over some girl texting about the Miley Cyrus CD, and hearing a 'thud' as she was driving on to the shoulder.
2010-08-13 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
I'm hoping to kayak the whole 190mi. Calusa Blueway http://www.calusablueway.com/and stopping each night to camp at the various put in spots. I'm thinking perhaps taking 2 weeks off next winter and going for it.

2010-08-13 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Holden, Ma
Trying to find time for a 21 mile Presidential Range Traverse in the White Mnts of New Hampshire. 9 Peaks all over 4k with one 6k. Most do it in 2-3 days. A bunch of people however hike it in one day starting before sunrise. I want to run it or as much as I can. Problem is the weather is very unpredictable and can change in mid summer from a blue sky day to a snow storm in little time.

A hikers pictorial and trip report. http://www.hikethewhites.com/traverse09/index.html
2010-08-13 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3042556

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-08-13 4:09 PM

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I have a life goal of visiting each state highpoint which range from drive-up to Denali.  We'll see.....
2010-08-13 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3042775

Master
Redlands, CA
cafenervosa - 2010-08-13 1:08 PM I'm hoping to kayak the whole 190mi. Calusa Blueway http://www.calusablueway.com/and stopping each night to camp at the various put in spots. I'm thinking perhaps taking 2 weeks off next winter and going for it.

That is too cool, I'm sure how difficult that is in terms of kayaking, but it doesn't sound easy!

I wouldn't mind doing that someday; are there gators down there?
2010-08-13 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3042936

Master
Redlands, CA
ejshowers - 2010-08-13 2:09 PM I have a life goal of visiting each state highpoint which range from drive-up to Denali.  We'll see.....

That's going to take a bit of time, and don't take Denali lightly.  One of my co workers came back missing a part of his finger, and almost lost his son on the trip to frostbite / cold.  Many have died on that mountain, and its comparable in difficulty to many of the Himalayan ascents.

2010-08-13 6:23 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-08-13 6:25 PM

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
furiousferret - 2010-08-13 12:26 PM I'm sure I'm not the only one that has plans for an individual endurance events (i.e. non sanctioned / race) goal on this board, and I'm curious what others have planned. 

Any others?

Sounds cool! More like an ultramarathon kind of thing. Read this guy's blog to get an idea of what he does for runs like this.
http://antonkrupicka.blogspot.com/
He also encountered a bear on the trail and has a story about it in one of his posts.

We have a trail here that I've thought about running from end to end. It's about 40-45 miles. No huge elevation changes, some is paved, most is dirt/gravel. I have run on all of it at one time or another, just not all at once.
2010-08-13 6:31 PM

Starting to get serious about swimming the English channel. Ill be 37 in Oct and I want to do it before Im 40. I have realistic intermediate swimming goals which will allow me to build up to it. I swim 9 or 10 miles a week anyway. In addition, Kilimanjaro has been in my mind since I was a kid but I'm not a huge climber. I'll have to learn!!! 
2010-08-13 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3043093

Master
Redlands, CA
Paddy1 - 2010-08-13 4:31 PM Starting to get serious about swimming the English channel. Ill be 37 in Oct and I want to do it before Im 40. I have realistic intermediate swimming goals which will allow me to build up to it. I swim 9 or 10 miles a week anyway. In addition, Kilimanjaro has been in my mind since I was a kid but I'm not a huge climber. I'll have to learn!!! 

Can't you walk up Kilimanjaro?  I don't think its a technical climb.

Let us know when you plan swimming the channel, I can't even imagine attempting something like that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tell us your non endurance plans outside of racing / sanctioned events Rss Feed  

of 2