General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trying to pick a bike, suggestions please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-15 1:44 AM

Subject: Trying to pick a bike, suggestions please
I am going to try my first sprint Tri in October and I need a bike, while I've only been looking for a week I cannot find anything used that is big enough.

Went to a bike shop that had a 61cm Specialized Allez Sport, I haven't rode a bike in years and I must say I was blown away at how easy the bike was to ride.  The $850 price is just more than I think I should spend, I keep telling myself even if the Tri thing doesn't work out I would still have a nice bike to ride.

Went to the internet and came across a 2011 Mercier Orion AL for $549, and looking at the specs they seem to be very similar except that its is either a 60cm or 62cm and I have no way of trying the bike out.  I had 1" maybe 1.5" of "clearance" on the 61cm so I'm thinking the 60cm would be best.

Any help or advice would be great, I've stayed up the last 4 nights looking at bikes and trying to figure it out.  I really liked the Specialized Allez but I can't help but think the extra $300 could be spent elsewhere.

2010-08-15 5:21 AM
in reply to: #3044245

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Trying to pick a bike, suggestions please
The advice you're going to get from almost everybody "in the know" around here.

Buy the Bike Fit first, bike shop second, and bike brand third.

You NEED (especially new people) the bike fit... otherwise you are most likely not going to be comfortable, therefore you aren't going to "like" riding.

The LBS (bike shop) is where you need to establish yourself. You're going to need (small to large) things from them from time to time, it's good to find a shop that's friendly and knowledgeable... you *could* get by using the internet...maybe... but the LBS will make life easier in the long run.

The brand isn't going to matter. That said, the good thing with going with some of the big dogs (Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc) is that they have to compete with each other... so their bikes have to be of similar quality across the board. Buying a *no-name* bike is a bit riskier... you really need to do a lot of research before doing something like that.

$500, and even $800, although a good chunk of change, won't pay for a good number of guys wheels on here. Not saying that saving money isn't good, but make sure you aren't "getting what you pay for"
2010-08-16 11:31 AM

User image

Pro
Well, there's nothing 'wrong' with BikesDirect.com.  They're a legit outfit and sell off brand bikes for hard to beat prices.  But- you just get a bike.  You'll need to put it together (handlebars, seat) and adjust the derailleurs.  If you go through a LBS, they'll make sure that the bike is set up and adjusted for you.

If you're not scared to turn a wrench, are cash strapped and it's your only choice, the Sora/Tiagra equipped Mercier will probably work for you.  Of course, you could then build a relationship with your shop by paying them to set up the bike, fit you on it, and then buy accessories from them.  In the end, the price difference becomes smaller.

the Specialized Allez is a solid performer in its price range.  I'm sure you'll find many good reveiws of the bike. 

My advice- you found a bike that you like.  I'd go back to the shop and see what kind of deal you can strike.  Perhaps they'll come down $100. Or- better yet, throw in some other things that you'll need, perhaps at a discounted price.  One you buy the bike, the 'experience' isn't over.  you'll need a few more things:  helmet, gloves, shoes, pedals, saddle pouch, water bottle cages, water bottles, floor pump, frame pump, patch kit, tire levers, tubes, cycling shorts/tops, etc   It's an expensive sport. 
2010-08-16 3:05 PM

User image

New user
my suggestion is to borrow a bike, then buy the right bike regardless of pricepoint
you'll find all kinds of bikes at most sprints, anything from mt bikes, comfort bikes and even bmx bikes.
also many riders will sell their bikes after the season or you could get great discounts for new bikes as last year models from the LBS

my friend road a 70s schwinn variety at 40 pounds in his first and the bike split really didn't hold him back

If you rush to find a bike, its likely that you won't be happy with it shortly afterwards
all comments before are legit, but don't waste time searching when you could be training

>jersey walt
2010-08-16 9:59 PM
in reply to: #3046647

User image

Sherwood Park, Ab
qclabrat - 2010-08-16 2:05 PM ... but don't waste time searching when you could be training

>jersey walt

Love it... 
2010-08-16 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3047276

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
I agree with going and asking the shop what kind of deal they can give you... ask them to give you a price for the bike and everything else you'll need (helmet, pedals, shoes, etc).  In fact, some shops have a "start package" that includes the bike and everything you'll need.

Also, keep in mind that the 2011 models are coming out and so you might be able to find a 2010 on closeout... 

2010-08-17 1:58 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to stop by a different LBS r that was closer. They were a Specialized dealer but didn't have any 61cm in stock, going to see what they can do price wise on an order they are only 15 min away (other was 45) and were very nice.I have to find an inexpensive hobby so I guess it won't hurt to add another expensive one, guess it is a good thing I'm single.
2010-08-17 3:14 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
If you know what bike you like, and you know it fits, and you know your size...why are you not on ebay scouring for a deal? ;-)
2010-08-17 9:02 PM

Fairfax
This is probably a bit more than you want to spend, but if you do know your size, and can try this bike out at a LBS, this is a great deal!http://tribonzai.com/product/felt-racing-f95-59798-1.htmFelt f95 for $769 free shipping.
2010-08-18 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3049314

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA

I have not seen a bike shop that could ship a Felt. I believe it's a standard practice for Felt to not let a bike be shipped unless you purchase it in person.

On the page you linked, they have the following :

"This item is not permitted to be shipped, however it can be purchased online and picked up at your convenience."

vtloki - 2010-08-17 7:02 PM This is probably a bit more than you want to spend, but if you do know your size, and can try this bike out at a LBS, this is a great deal!http://tribonzai.com/product/felt-racing-f95-59798-1.htmFelt f95 for $769 free shipping.
2010-08-18 6:07 PM

Well I found an 08 Specialized Allez on ebay, I had the top bid at $350 but it didn't meet the reserve, still haven't heard from the seller to see what the reserve was, it had a buy it now price of $500.  It was sized as an XXL, 60/61cm so it should work.

2010-08-18 7:04 PM

Veteran
I did tonnes of research and found what bike would fit me as far as my measurements, its alot to look into but makes finding the right deal worth it,,,ebay and the like is where I started the search. Got a great deal on a Trek 9.9, fits great and love it to death,,,,, get a fit done and study like your life depends on it ,,,,there are lots of great deals out there,,,and low ball offers some time pay off. Worked for me,,,best of luck.
2010-08-20 7:23 AM
in reply to: #3047290

User image

Sherwood Park, Ab
pistuo - 2010-08-16 9:11 PM I agree with going and asking the shop what kind of deal they can give you... ask them to give you a price for the bike and everything else you'll need (helmet, pedals, shoes, etc).  In fact, some shops have a "start package" that includes the bike and everything you'll need.

Also, keep in mind that the 2011 models are coming out and so you might be able to find a 2010 on closeout... 

My experience lately with going into some of the bikes shops is they are trying to fit me into a bike that maybe I might be either too big/too small for just to get rid of their 2010 stock. I've noticed it in two shops and it's kinda scary... if your not aware/considerate of it.

So I would say to the original OP get sized or at least have a decent idea of what size of frame you need and move from there.

Edited by bonafide 2010-08-20 7:24 AM
2010-08-22 1:40 AM
in reply to: #3050931

Fairfax
croyston - 2010-08-18 3:50 PM

I have not seen a bike shop that could ship a Felt. I believe it's a standard practice for Felt to not let a bike be shipped unless you purchase it in person.

On the page you linked, they have the following :

"This item is not permitted to be shipped, however it can be purchased online and picked up at your convenience."

vtloki - 2010-08-17 7:02 PM This is probably a bit more than you want to spend, but if you do know your size, and can try this bike out at a LBS, this is a great deal!http://tribonzai.com/product/felt-racing-f95-59798-1.htmFelt f95 for $769 free shipping.
I apologize. I didn't see that part. Too bad cause it's a great price, right?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trying to pick a bike, suggestions please Rss Feed