Other Resources My Cup of Joe » countdown to vegas! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-17 9:55 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: countdown to vegas!
well, i'vementioned this before, but we leave for vegas next week. my brother in law is getting hitched. i'm hoping to get in some trail running, B/R bricks in the fitness center (it will be my first time on a treadmill since i was diagnosed with asthma in jr. high), and doing TI drills in the outdoor pool.

we fly out a few days early to do some camping/backpacking. we have our tent reserved at the brand new henderson rei outside vegas!!!! a taj 3. we looked at that one when we got our last tent, so i'm excited to actually try it out. we'll be going to go to valley of fire state park. spoke with the guy at rei and he thought it was a good compromise between red rocks and zion. still want to go to zion...and who knows, if things go smoothly we may drive up there instead. depends on how the girls do, how we do flying with the girls, etc. we're bringing at least one pack so we have the option of backpacking in instead of car camping. yesterday i got out our sleeping bags, the sweetie pie, the therm-a-rests, the pillows (new down travel pillows for me and dh, so ella gets my old camp pillow). ella and fiona both cuddled up and played hide and seek. it was so cute. must post pictures.

today dh and i are going to the salon to get pretty for the wedding. not sure what i'll do with my hair, since its nearly shoulder length at the moment...but i'm leaning towards chopping it off into a sporty bob for the summer (which will be nice with all the running i've been doing). getting my brows waxed too! yikes! like you all want to know about this anyway, right? hee hee. i also ordered a dress for the wedding which i HOPE will be here before we leave. if it isn't, i could wear it in july for the OTHER wedding (both of my brothers in law are getting hitched this year). light, airy, hemp, perfect for summer, and easy to breastfeed in too! i'm going to be uber sporty with my cute little patagonia dress and my new keen seattles! someone is going to have to put me on a stick and put me in a window display at rei or something.

okay, need breakfast. have a great day everyone.

2004-04-17 1:02 PM
in reply to: #19028

Champion
Subject: RE: countdown to vegas!
OMG, go to Zion if you get the chance! It is absolutely incredible there...only surpassed by the Grand Canyon. We went through the mountain tunnel and across the twisty roads on our motorcycle. It will knock your socks off!

Max
2004-04-17 1:53 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-04-17 5:40 PM

molto veloce mama
oh, i know. my husband and i honeymooned in canyonlands. originally, my husband wanted to go to bryce....but we also don't want to spend all our time in the car. we only have 48 hours to play! if we have a good plane ride and the girls are happy, and our tent pick up and dinner go quickly, maybe we will zip up to zion. i know it is worth it to bill and i to fly/drive for 5 hrs straight, but i don't think the kids will appreciate being on their butts for that long. we don't have reservations anywhere, so we can still go to zion if things go okay.

i only get my brows waxed for special occasions. hee hee. my daily make up consists of spf 15 lotion and lip goo. my eyes are already starting to hurt at the prospect of wearing any kind of make up for the wedding. i'm looking pretty pink and freckled from being outside in the sun every day (in a good way), so maybe i'll just use a little powder and some lip gloss.

time for laundry and packing!
2004-04-17 6:43 PM

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
but if you are going to Zion, then you may as well go to Bryce (which is beautiful...)

Or just hang out at the buffets (YUM!). So cheap! Win some money for us! ;-)
2004-04-17 6:59 PM

Champion
At the risk of showing my wife's butt (which is lots smaller now BTW!), here she is at the entrance to Zion.

Max

(UT Zion-11.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
UT Zion-11.jpg (51KB - 24 downloads)

2004-04-17 7:34 PM

molto veloce mama
okay, while we have the photo albums out. here is one of the best photos i've ever taken. on my honeymoon at canyonlands, along salt creek trail, hubby making lunch. as you can see, i've seen first hand how BEAUTIFUL utah is. i'd love to get to zion, if not this time, then maybe next year (although i want to go to glacier too...and yellowstone....superior hiking trail, apostle islands. why can't we have loads of money and all the free time in the world? darnit!). for inquiring minds, there are more photos at: http://community.webshots.com/user/mamarsupial

Edited by autumn 2004-04-17 7:47 PM

(74863157AkdWxg_ph.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
74863157AkdWxg_ph.jpg (28KB - 25 downloads)
2004-04-17 7:51 PM

Champion
Wow thanks Autumn, I'm gonna go check them out...we went all over Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Colorado on the bike in 2001. We could probably sit down with you and swap photo albums and see some of the same pictures! LOL

Max
2004-04-29 1:13 PM

molto veloce mama
well, we're back. over all, the trip was great. i love canyons. makes us want to move to utah (which is right next door and full of amazing parks we didn't get to see this trip). camping was great. we stayed at valley of fire at a walk in site just under a hundred yards in. pictures coming soon. decided not to go to zion since we didn't get to vof until late monday night and getting everything set up with the girls was a tad stressful (30-40 mph winds). explored the park all day tuesday. e loved climbing on the rocks and exploring the little caves. fi slept most of the time, riding in the sling. no sunburns!

wedding was nice, if not a bit 'pre-packaged'. vegas itself was cool, but i was stressing big time about all the second hand smoke (i'm really sensitive about it). had fun swimming in the pool. thought about going to red rocks for a day hike on sunday, but opted for rest before our day of travel home.

so, morning we were to fly out, i was leaning over to pick something up off the floor, and bumped the floor lamp. glass table attachment of the lamp shattered and i ended up with lots of small glass cuts on my leg and arm...and a 5 inch laceration right under my left butt cheek. hurrah! 3 hrs before we were supposed to fly out, i was in the las vegas ER getting 15 stitches (6 subdermal, 9 dermal). big bummer, but at least it wasn't one of the girls. er doc said i should still be able to run and swim, but should take a break from biking, yoga, and hiking for at least a couple weeks will get a second opinion from my own doc here at home.

pictures of the trip: http://www.fidean.net/pix/LasVegas/LasVegas.html

pictures of flesh wound coming soon!
2004-04-30 11:44 AM

Master
Chicago
Beautiful pics autumn. Your family is great. Love Sparky! And Utah is one beautiful place. I'm going to try to get to Moab in the next couple of months. I'll be going to Peru in June so I'll have a photo album of my own! Wish me luck, I'm going to try to take a dip in Lake Tititicaca!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » countdown to vegas! Rss Feed