General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Handle Bar End Plugs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-16 11:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Subject: Handle Bar End Plugs

At the last tri I did they kept anouncing that the official who was checking the bikes kept finding bikes without those plugs in the end of the handle bars. There was a sponsor there who handed out a ton of them, otherwise these people would have been DQ'd. What is the big deal about those plugs??

2010-08-16 11:49 PM
in reply to: #3047352

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: RE: Handle Bar End Plugs
Because if you crash with an open bar end and it catches you, or someone you hit at the right angle it takes a nice cork out of your flesh.
2010-08-17 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
My husband had a questions about these -

I have a road bike and my end plugs are hard or solid, the ones in his mountain bike are soft, rubbery and kind of smooshy - but the ends are definitely not open. He's looking at doing his first short duathon this fall and probably won't have a road bike by then (but he annoys the heck out of me being able to average over 20pmh on his mountain bike so I told him he will be fine to do a race on it!) Will his plugs be okay for a race?
2010-08-17 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3047579

User image

Regular
KDEN
mademille - 2010-08-17 7:04 AM My husband had a questions about these -

I have a road bike and my end plugs are hard or solid, the ones in his mountain bike are soft, rubbery and kind of smooshy - but the ends are definitely not open. He's looking at doing his first short duathon this fall and probably won't have a road bike by then (but he annoys the heck out of me being able to average over 20pmh on his mountain bike so I told him he will be fine to do a race on it!) Will his plugs be okay for a race?

Just a newb here, but at my first race last week I asked about this.  As long as they are covered he should be fine.  The way they put it at my race was, "We don't want to take any liver samples today!"
2010-08-17 8:17 AM

User image

Pro
MA
While it is rare, it can happen. 
There is an accident in Hong Kong a couple of years ago, where a bike messenger riding on the road, fell.  He bar end wasn't plug.  The metal tube jammed into his thigh, cutting into his artery.  Lost a lot of blood on the spot.  I think he lived. 
Imagine in a race when one cyclist fall - even though most races don't allow drafting, several other cyclists may be taken down.  A closed bar end would help prevent the hollow metal tube from cutting into people. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Handle Bar End Plugs Rss Feed