General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ode to Mr. Miller - ode to teachers that make a difference Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-18 9:53 PM

User image

Blaine, Minnesota
Subject: Ode to Mr. Miller - ode to teachers that make a difference
So there I was. A 15 year old geek who played football, soccer, tennis, and wasn't really that good at any of them. I had glasses thicker than coke bottles, and clothes that would make weird Al vomit. I had always been a semi-aquatic individual, but had never given swimming a chance, thinking that it was too "sissy". Well, I decided to give it a try. From the very first moment, I felt awkward. I didn't know you were supposed to wear goggles. Everyone had speedo's on. I had a big parachute suit on, and had bloodshot eyes. But, I was still pretty fast.

My coach (and my algebra teacher) took me under his wing. He helped me get into the sport. Told me what I needed. I then went throught a series of very funny successful accidents. I accidently bought a pair of sweedish goggles from my uncle that immediatley launched me into swimming acceptance, even though they bruised my eye sockets at first. I then bought a speedo that looked like a barbershop pole, but was lauded for buying a "retro" suit that somehow made me cool. It then came to dress-up day for the swim team and I wore a shirt that I borrowed from my grandfather that had a butterfly collar and little diamond shaped designs all over it. Again I was lauded as having gone retro.
All the way I was mentored by my first coach. He would mention me in the local paper, and tell my parents that I had real promise. I think he even mentioned the olympics a couple of times, but that was just crazy.

Now, the reason for this post. Some of you probably are teachers, and many of you have had teachers that have made a difference. Mr. Miller completely launched me into the mindset that anything was possible, and that all I needed to do was to go for it, and I would be a success.

I'm curious if you have had similar experiences, or if you are that kind of teacher. Let's hear your stories.

2005-07-19 11:44 AM
in reply to: #201785

User image

Subject: RE: Ode to Mr. Miller - ode to teachers that make a difference

Wow, thanks for sharing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ode to Mr. Miller - ode to teachers that make a difference Rss Feed