General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First HIM CA- NERVOUS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-19 7:49 PM

Subject: First HIM CA- NERVOUS
So I managed to sign up for the my first HIM..Here is the deal. In the last year and a half I have ran about 6 half marathon, 2 Full Marathons, did a Century ride, about 3 sprint tris and 1 Olympic tri.  I feel I can at least "finish", but I don't want to just finish on this race. I am not a fast runner. I usually average a 10min pace, a 15-17 mph ride of 35 miles or more and swim about 1 mile in 40 min. Right now I am training about 12 hrs a week for another Olympic.

How reasonable or is is possible to run about a 9 min pace, bike 18-19 mph, and swim 35 min/mi in about 5 months? Am I over shooting my goals??

Raul

2010-08-20 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3053794

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: RE: First HIM CA- NERVOUS
phantom62610 - 2010-08-19 8:49 PM So I managed to sign up for the my first HIM..Here is the deal. In the last year and a half I have ran about 6 half marathon, 2 Full Marathons, did a Century ride, about 3 sprint tris and 1 Olympic tri.  I feel I can at least "finish", but I don't want to just finish on this race. I am not a fast runner. I usually average a 10min pace, a 15-17 mph ride of 35 miles or more and swim about 1 mile in 40 min. Right now I am training about 12 hrs a week for another Olympic.

How reasonable or is is possible to run about a 9 min pace, bike 18-19 mph, and swim 35 min/mi in about 5 months? Am I over shooting my goals??

Raul

It sounds like you have a great base fitness for an HIM ... here are my thoughts:

1. If this is your first HIM, your goal should be to train well, not get injured, and enjoy the race. Everything else is gravy.
2. If you are currently running a 10 min pace, I highly doubt you'll get a full minute/ mile faster, ESPECIALLY after a 56 mi bike ride.
3. Pick a training plan that looks doable to you and stick with it.
4. You will likely adjust and readjust your goals during training... and then during the race.

Edited by trishie 2010-08-20 10:47 AM
2010-08-20 12:42 PM

User image

Regular
Flagstaff
I think Trishie gave you good advice.  The big question in my mind is not how fast you bike or how fast you run but rather how fast you can run off the bike.

It's one thing to run a 1:58 half marathon.  Another entirely to do it off the back of a 56 mile ride.

Riding 17MPH for 35 miles is fine, but have you come off that ride and run 10 miles?  How did your legs feel?  Could you run 10s at that point?

My advice for novices, especially if you have a decent running base, is to really focus on your cycling. You want to be able to come off the 56-mile ride strong and ready to run, not exhausted from the effort of trying to hold 17mph the whole way.

For your FIRST HIM I'd be doing it for the experience, rather than a particular time, but if the time goal is important to you then figure out your limiters and work on them.

But most importantly always remember: Triathlon is a sport done in combination, not isolation. It doesn't matter how good your run fitness is if you can't put it down on race day.  Gotta get the bike right to set yourself up for a great run on the day.

And you need to dial in your nutrition.  You may have had a taste of that for the Olys but a HIM is probably at least a 5 hour day for most AGers and you'll need to have your nutrition right. 

2010-08-20 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3054697

Thanks Trishie for the advice. Since this is my first HIM I am very nervous...I am glad you made me remember to enjoy the race.  That's funny because sometimes I get to focused on certain things.  This is also the first time I have posted so the encourgement is great.. and I am learning how to blog..don't ever do it.

Thanks again!
2010-08-20 10:21 PM

Ben,

Thanks for the reminder of nutrition..so many things to learn.. If you have any advice for nutrition or areas I can look for to learn..all help would be greatly appreciated! I guess for my first HIM getting across the finish line at MY Personal best effort is an experience in it self.  I have to say...It is the first time I am starting to believe I CAN DO IT !

thanks
raul
2010-08-20 11:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
I'm assuming the CA means HIM California. It's going to be tough to get up to that bike speed on that course if you're not already at that speed. There is one VERY tough climb and a few others and this course will challenge you. However, it is a BEAUTIFUL course on both the run and the bike and you will love it.

It was my first HIM and I didn't finish very fast but I was so very proud.  Enjoy it and remember, this race is early in the season so don't forget that depending on where you live you might train exclusively on a trainer. I know being in Canada, I didn't ride outside until I got there.

Have a blast!

2010-08-21 12:53 AM
in reply to: #3056150

User image

Regular
Flagstaff
phantom62610 - 2010-08-20 5:21 PM Ben,

Thanks for the reminder of nutrition..so many things to learn.. If you have any advice for nutrition or areas I can look for to learn..all help would be greatly appreciated! I guess for my first HIM getting across the finish line at MY Personal best effort is an experience in it self.  I have to say...It is the first time I am starting to believe I CAN DO IT !

thanks
raul

Nutrition is a very individual thing.  A few generalizations:

* You'll probably want to try and get at least 250 calories per hour in.  This can vary a bit per person but 250 is in the pretty typical range.  I know people who try to get 400.  I know people who only get 150.  I think it's pretty well agreed that the human body can't really take up more than about 400 calories an hour during exercise.  Some people can't take up anywhere near that much.

Eating too much can be as bad as eating too little; figure out what your body can tolerate and how you can best fuel yourself on race day.  It's one of the biggest, and most difficult, chores triathletes have.  It's easy to jump on a bike and pedal for 3 hours.  It's not as easy to determine whether Hammer Gel or Perpetuum is a more effective fuel for you, when and and in what proportions.

* Getting it in your belly is not the same as getting it in your system. Your body may have a difficult time taking up those calories if it's working too hard.  Another good reason to keep your effort level reasonable, especially early on, so that your body has a chance to process the calories you're swallowing.  Macca once said that in Kona he tries to keep his HR under about 155 so he can process calories.  If he gets above that zone it impairs his ability to fuel.

* Most of your nutrition will probably happen on the bike.  For one it's usually easier to take in food/fuel on the bike.  For another by fueling on the bike those calories will hopefully be available to you on the run.  I sometimes see people fueling in the last miles of the run and I wonder if they really expect the finish area to be that strenuous.

* Some people find it easier to do entirely liquid/gel nutrition in the race rather than trying to digest bars or other solid food.  My last half-Ironman I did entirely liquid nutrition and it went well for me.  I had a gel or two with me just in case, but never needed them.  But that's what worked for me and unless you're planning to race with my body your mileage may vary.

* Don't overlook caffeine.  It's a legal supplement which does have performance boosting effects for most people in the proper dosages. 

* Find out what the race nutrition is (i.e. what they're giving out at the aid stations) and try that in training.  If it's Gatorade Endurance or Ironman Perform or something entirely else.  Try it in practice first.  It should say what they're serving on the race website.

* NEVER do anything new on race day and that goes triple for nutrition.  Try it in training first.  Whether it's the flat Coke at the aid stations, the flavor of PowerGel they're giving out on the run, the food you're going to eat for breakfast...  Try it in training first.  If you usually eat pancakes before your long weekend workout then eat pancakes before your race. If you don't usually eat eggs before a big workout, DON'T do it on race morning.  Try it first and find out how your body reacts to it.  You really don't want to find out 30 miles into your race that Tangerine flavored PowerGel makes you nauseas.  

* Don't forget hydration as part of your nutrition plan.  You want to make sure you're properly hydrated but at the same time don't overdo it. 

Some say nutrition is the 4th discipline in triathlon (after swim, bike, run).  I've long said that if beginners could get two things right in their first endurance race I'd want those things to be pacing and nutrition.  If you get those two things right, I think you're going to have a good day.

2010-08-28 7:29 PM
in reply to: #3056176

Yes, you are correct about about California. Thanks for the advice about the hills.. I heard they were pretty tough. Congrats on finishing your first HIM in California.

About indoor trainers, I think I will start another post. Because like you said over here in CA we will be going into winter and of course the sun will start going down earlier and since I have to work no time in the morning and dark when I get home. Gonna have to ask about what is a good indoor trainer. Which do you use?
2010-08-28 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3069346

This was suppose to be for Fatboy..have'nt figured this thing out yet.
2010-08-28 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3056203

bschorr - 2010-08-20 10:53 PM
phantom62610 - 2010-08-20 5:21 PM Ben,

thanks
raul

Nutrition is a very individual thing.  A few generalizations:

* You'll probably want to try and get at least 250 calories per hour in.  This can vary a bit per person but 250 is in the pretty typical range.  I know people who try to get 400.  I know people who only get 150.  I think it's pretty well agreed that the human body can't really take up more than about 400 calories an hour during exercise.  Some people can't take up anywhere near that much.

Eating too much can be as bad as eating too little; figure out what your body can tolerate and how you can best fuel yourself on race day.  It's one of the biggest, and most difficult, chores triathletes have.  It's easy to jump on a bike and pedal for 3 hours.  It's not as easy to determine whether Hammer Gel or Perpetuum is a more effective fuel for you, when and and in what proportions.

* Getting it in your belly is not the same as getting it in your system. Your body may have a difficult time taking up those calories if it's working too hard.  Another good reason to keep your effort level reasonable, especially early on, so that your body has a chance to process the calories you're swallowing.  Macca once said that in Kona he tries to keep his HR under about 155 so he can process calories.  If he gets above that zone it impairs his ability to fuel.

* Most of your nutrition will probably happen on the bike.  For one it's usually easier to take in food/fuel on the bike.  For another by fueling on the bike those calories will hopefully be available to you on the run.  I sometimes see people fueling in the last miles of the run and I wonder if they really expect the finish area to be that strenuous.

* Some people find it easier to do entirely liquid/gel nutrition in the race rather than trying to digest bars or other solid food.  My last half-Ironman I did entirely liquid nutrition and it went well for me.  I had a gel or two with me just in case, but never needed them.  But that's what worked for me and unless you're planning to race with my body your mileage may vary.

* Don't overlook caffeine.  It's a legal supplement which does have performance boosting effects for most people in the proper dosages. 

* Find out what the race nutrition is (i.e. what they're giving out at the aid stations) and try that in training.  If it's Gatorade Endurance or Ironman Perform or something entirely else.  Try it in practice first.  It should say what they're serving on the race website.

* NEVER do anything new on race day and that goes triple for nutrition.  Try it in training first.  Whether it's the flat Coke at the aid stations, the flavor of PowerGel they're giving out on the run, the food you're going to eat for breakfast...  Try it in training first.  If you usually eat pancakes before your long weekend workout then eat pancakes before your race. If you don't usually eat eggs before a big workout, DON'T do it on race morning.  Try it first and find out how your body reacts to it.  You really don't want to find out 30 miles into your race that Tangerine flavored PowerGel makes you nauseas.  

* Don't forget hydration as part of your nutrition plan.  You want to make sure you're properly hydrated but at the same time don't overdo it. 

Some say nutrition is the 4th discipline in triathlon (after swim, bike, run).  I've long said that if beginners could get two things right in their first endurance race I'd want those things to be pacing and nutrition.  If you get those two things right, I think you're going to have a good day.

Awesome! Thanks very much.  Caffine is a new one. Not because of religion or anything, I just don't do a lot of soda, coffee, or tea maybe I should while training.  I think the biggest thing for me will be to know when I need the nutrition. You said you had gels you never used? Gonna have to see what works for me

Thanks
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First HIM CA- NERVOUS Rss Feed