General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Watching River Monsters before next race is not a good idea Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-20 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH
Subject: Watching River Monsters before next race is not a good idea
Its my new favorite show (when I am not watching tdf or tri's of course), but decided its not a good idea to watch right before a race.  I mean, what if someone put a Goonch catfish, Goliath Tigerfish or Giant Snakehead into the lake???  If I see Jeremy Wade fishing from the side of the lake, I am switching to a duathlon.  Luckily, I have Ironman Coeur d'Alene on DVR to watch tonight.

2010-08-20 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3055093

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty
Subject: RE: Watching River Monsters before next race is not a good idea
i can't look straight down when swimming in the lake just because of shows and movies like that. if i look down i picture something coming up at me and start to freak haha.
2010-08-20 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
Boston area

I consider myself pretty fearless (and maybe foolhardy) when it comes to open water, but even I get a little freaked out looking down into the water as I swim.  I still try to do it anyway, because that's the most streamlined position.

Reminds me of growing  up in Florida... we swam in lakes all the time.  Keep in mind that most lakes in Florida have alligators, and there's also the water moccasins, snapping turtles, and brain-eating ameobae.  Sounds scary, but I came out of it alive.  Most of the time, wildlife is more afraid of you than you are of it (and for good reason).  I'm sure there were some alligators where I swam, but they wanted nothing to do with me.

Recently, in New England, I saw a large turtle swimming beneath me during an open water clinic.  When we got out of the water, I couldn't wait to tell everyone the cool thing I'd seen!  That wasn't quite their reaction....Surprised.  I dunno.  Being a outdoorsy, environmental sort, I love it when I see wildlife while training.  Just as long as it's wildlife that can't take a bit out of me, he he.

2010-08-20 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
My 9 year old daughter came down stairs screaming a few weeks ago because my 12 year old son was insisting on making her watch River Monsters.

My immediate (and loud) response to my son was "As long as your mother intends to do triathlons, NO ONE in this house is EVER allowed to watch River Monsters! End of discussion, change the channel - NOW!"
2010-08-20 3:41 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Snakehead fish terrify me.

2010-08-20 6:09 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Watching River Monsters before next race is not a good idea Rss Feed