General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need cramp advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-19 8:34 PM

New user
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Subject: Need cramp advice
Tonight I did a swim run organized by 3 disciplines.  The swim was fine, but as soon as I started running I got the most painful cramp ever.  We're not talking a side ache.  My entire ab region was seizing up on me.  I don't know how I even managed to keep jogging (can't call it running ; ).  After about a mile and a half the pain went away and I was fine to pick up the pace.  This intense cramping has never occured before.  Is this normal?  Is it preventable?  How do I cope while running???  I'd love any advice.  Thanks!

2005-07-20 6:44 AM
in reply to: #202719

New user
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Subject: RE: Need cramp advice
I forgot to mention that I'd never done a swim to run transition.  Could the difference in breathing make a difference?
2005-07-20 5:37 PM
in reply to: #202876

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
meggantavel - 2005-07-20 3:44 AM

I forgot to mention that I'd never done a swim to run transition. Could the difference in breathing make a difference?

You say this has never happened before... well maybe it is because you never practiced this transition before. The golden rule is "Never try something for the first time at the race." The only way to figure it out is to experiment. I might have something to do with what you ate, or not ate, not warming up, or not stretching. Practice those transitions and see if you can figure out how to avoid it.
2005-07-21 10:09 AM

Regular
Price, UT
I don't know if this would work for this type of cramp, but when I've heard and kinda experienced that if you eat bananas they are loaded with potassium which is supposed to help with cramping...I dunno, you could try it cause that sounds painful!
2005-07-21 3:06 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia

I get crazy cramps while running.  Sometimes, they hit my chest right below my shoulder (where the pecs meet the delts).  Other times, it feels like my whole chest is in a vise.  I have found no cause for these cramps.  All I can do to get rid of them is to forcefully exhale and keep my breathing very steady.  The harder I exhale, the better.

I've had my electrolytes tested and my potassium was in the middle of the normal range, so no problems there.  Anyway, potassium deficiencies tend to cause cramping in your calves, not your abs.

I wish I had more advice for you.  Hope you feel better.

Edited by Whit 2005-07-21 3:08 PM
2005-07-21 3:22 PM
in reply to: #204082

New user
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Thanks so much for all the great advice.  I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who gets chest cramps.  This was pretty scary when it first stared happening.  Especially near my shoulder.  I had an EKG to make sure I had no heart problems!  Glad to hear it's somewhat common!

2005-07-22 1:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Camarillo, California
I had the exact same thing about a year ago, I did some resarch and found I can not eat 3 hours before I run. Since I started this I have literally had no cramps. Yours could also be from drinking too much water before and during the race, all that water in your belly will cause cramps.

Edited by gocorey 2005-07-22 1:54 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need cramp advice Rss Feed