General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bag for bike commute Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-25 1:10 PM

Regular
Raleigh
Subject: Bag for bike commute
In an effort to up my miles and under the mantra of "every little helps", I am going to start communting to work a few days a week (~13 miles e/w).

I will need to carry a laptop, change of clothes (casual, not suit and tie stuff), and sometimes a small amount of paperwork.  I can leave towel etc. at work.

I have been looking at traditional backpacks, but I have also seen a lot of "messenger bags".  Does anyone have any experience with them?   Any better or worse than a backpack?   I obviously want something that fits well and allows me to put in at least a reasonable amount of effort. 

Thanks,

Roger

2010-08-25 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3063477

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: RE: Bag for bike commute
The less you have to carry, the better. On the rare occassion I bike commute to work I try to plan ahead and leave the next day's clothes in my office, especially shoes. That said, with panniers on my hybrid bike I cam carry everything easy enough that I don't need to plan ahead. Panniers are the best way to go if you are using a seperate bike. If I were to commute on my tri bike I would try very hard to have everything at the office already.

I've been looking for a bag I could run with so I could run 4 out of the 12 miles each way and take the bus for the rest. LL Bean and had some solid options in the $50 range with waist and chest strabs for stabilizing and a sleeve for laptops. I'm leaning towards even lighter because I'll likely leave an extra pair of shoes at the office all the time and just have to carry rolled up business casual clothes and maybe lunch.

Maybe you should try to avoid having to take your laptop home. Cool 
2010-08-25 2:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
I just use a regular backpack that I got from REI. No issues at all with comfort and I have plenty of space. I take my laptop with me (and its a big-azz one at that), clothing and soap/shampoo/deo, etc. I do this on either a road bike or my tri bike so not about to put paniers on either. Make sure you have a plastic bag or something like that to put your laptop/phone,etc. in when (and it will happen) it starts to downpour on you.
2010-08-25 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
pannier > backpack > messenger bag
if you're serious about commuting I either recommend getting a rack or a basket, unless your commute is very short. your back will thank me. i use a front basket on my commuter, and can take my touring bike with racks for bigger hauling.
I swear by my ortlieb bags - backpack and panniers. they are waterproof and fairly indestructible. they are also a little spendy but worth every penny. I also use a timbuk2 lex pack - but it's a little large for everyday haulin - they are pretty element proof as well.
have fun commuting.
2010-08-25 2:24 PM

Regular
Raleigh
Leaving the laptop in the office is sometimes an option, but I deal with folks in both Europe and Asia and tend to have to be "on" at odd times. The positive side of that is that I often get some slack in the middle of the day that I can use!

I only have my road bike, so I really don't see panniers etc. as an option.

I guess that what I'm hearing is that a regular packpack is preferable to a messenger bag?

Roger
2010-08-25 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
I suspect the only advantage of a messenger back is getting stuff easily and neatly in and out. That just doesn't apply on a commute. Lighten your load as much as you can and cinch your bag down as much as you can so it doesn't shift a lot. You want the weight as close to your body as possible.

2010-08-25 5:02 PM

I use the small Seal Line backpack.  It is awesome after you get it adjusted right.  It works for me and I have a 30 mile each way commute.  If you are using a backpack, adjust the shoulder straps so it rides lower on your back.  This will help keep the back of your helmet from hitting it.
2010-08-25 5:10 PM
in reply to: #3063655

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
kirih - 2010-08-25 4:17 PM

pannier > backpack > messenger bag

I bike commute year round and would highly recommend a pannier (or two) rather than a backpack or messenger bag.

Shane
2010-08-26 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3063674

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
JollyRoger - 2010-08-25 3:24 PM Leaving the laptop in the office is sometimes an option, but I deal with folks in both Europe and Asia and tend to have to be "on" at odd times. The positive side of that is that I often get some slack in the middle of the day that I can use!

I only have my road bike, so I really don't see panniers etc. as an option.

I guess that what I'm hearing is that a regular packpack is preferable to a messenger bag?

Roger

Given the highlighted bit, paniers appear to be out and there is no way I would go with a messenger bag over a backpack, assuming you are going to ride somewhat hard some of the time. Dude, you're a triathlete...HTFU and get a friggin backpack :-) Just kidding. But get a backpack!
2010-08-26 4:08 PM

Regular
Raleigh
OK, OK, I'm sold!    Smile    Backpack it is!

Thanks for the advice everyone.
2010-08-27 10:33 AM

User image

, Texas
If you find you're commuting alot, you're not going to want to continue with the  backpack. Having that much weight that high can be quite a bear. Also, it's really no fun in the heat with a backpack sweating up your back.

You can get a rack that will mount to a QR skewer and your rear brake allowing you to put panniers on your bike. I should take less than 5 minutes to swap on and off if you don't want to ride with the rack on. Here is one:
http://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Streamliner-Road-Rear-Black/dp/B0025UCXEO/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2

A nice thing about that one is that it even moves the rack back for extra heel-room.

Just another option ...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bag for bike commute Rss Feed