General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mooseman vs. Timberman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-26 1:27 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: Mooseman vs. Timberman
I'm considering both of these races for next year, and am looking for opinions about the two of them.  Would love to hear from someone who has done both and can draw some comparisons.  I understand that both have bike courses that are considered somewhat hilly - but which is hillier.  Does one course tend to "race" faster than the other course?

Thanks for any input.

2010-08-26 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3065553

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Mooseman vs. Timberman
I've done Mooseman Oly and HIM many times, Timberman I've done the sprint

M: water can be cold as it is early in the season...one year it was barely above 55
T: water won't be cold
Both have excellent water quality

M: HIM race as it has been done has been much smaller than TM...rumor is WTC might move transition which could make race much larger, parking is about a mile away as close parking WTC no longer lets folks that arrive use
T: I'm guessing this year TM had 2.5-3x as many folks registered

Both you need to make hotel/lodging reservations early as things close fill up

Bike course I think Mooseman is more challenging from what I've heard over the years living in MA.

I heard Keith was not race director of Timberman this year and am afraid he may not be of Mooseman going forward as he is RD of IM TX which is 2-3 weeks before Mooseman. Keith and his staff put on great races.
2010-08-26 1:40 PM

Regular
Sarasota, FL
GoFaster - 2010-08-26 1:27 PM I'm considering both of these races for next year, and am looking for opinions about the two of them.  Would love to hear from someone who has done both and can draw some comparisons.  I understand that both have bike courses that are considered somewhat hilly - but which is hillier.  Does one course tend to "race" faster than the other course?

Thanks for any input.

I did Timberman twice, 2005 and 2006, and Mooseman 3x, 2006, 2008, 2009.  I like Mooseman better mostly because it is a smaller race and logistics are easier.
Swim can be cold at Mooseman but it is generally flat, Timberman can have some good chop.  Mooseman bike is harder (haven't done the new course but its not any easier) but the road surface was worse. 

Polly
2010-08-26 3:14 PM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Folks have described the swim well. Both are in wonderful bodies of water!

Mooseman bike course is WAY hillier than Timberman bike course. Looking like it might be slightly easier next year if they can get the single loop course approved, but it will still be MUCH hillier. I went 27 mins slower on the Mooseman course this year than I did @ Timberman this past weekend, while producing similar wattage. That's how much hillier Mooseman is!

The run courses are VERY similar in terms of two loops and elevation.

There were about 500 more participants @ Timberman this year vs last year, but it didn't feel any bigger for some reason. I hope they move the transition area @ Mooseman. It was pretty cramped this year.

Timberman will race MUCH faster than Mooseman.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mooseman vs. Timberman Rss Feed