General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Born Again Triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-27 9:27 AM

User image

Lexington
Subject: Born Again Triathlete
Hi everyone,

I've been an avid runner for nearly three decades, enjoy cycling, and swim deplorably. That didn't stop me from getting the triathlon bug in the mid 1980s. I bought a Peugeot Triathlon bike in 1985 and did a couple of sprint triathlons near Glasgow, Scoltland, where I was living at the time. They were small indoor pool-based events with 60-70 people competing, and I really enjoyed them. The sport was then little known in Scotland and one of the races I did served as the national championships. In both races I was virtually the last out of the pool but I caught up on the bike and surged ahead in the run, and managed to come in 16th and 17th overrall.

Then shortly before my third triathlon my life changed -- I was promoted sideways into a busier position, moved to a new home too far from the office to commute by bike, and met my future wife. Years later, after kids, after moving to the USA, changing careers a couple of times, and supposedly wrecking both of my knees I finally managed to get myself running well again. Then my boss casually suggested that we do a triathlon together -- and I have the bug again. I've dusted off and recommissioned the old Pugeot and, having almost forgotten how to swim, am working on decent technique at last. My goal is to race next summer as a competent swimmer and to have a lot of fun.

2010-08-31 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3067099

User image

Veteran
Husk, NC
Subject: RE: Born Again Triathlete
You sound like me.  Did three tris in the early 80s then had our second daughter.  Started back Jan 09 some 35lbs heavier. 

Good luck!
2010-09-01 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3073696

User image

Lexington
Subject: RE: Born Again Triathlete
Sounds like a simlar story! Fortunately I've managed to loose my 25lbs of excess baggage -- just need to find time for the bike and the swim.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Born Again Triathlete Rss Feed