General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stationary Indoor Bike - whats good? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-30 9:05 AM

New user

Subject: Stationary Indoor Bike - whats good?
Hello.  I just finished training for my first Olypmic distance and do not want to lose anything during the long cold winter off season here in NY.

Can you suggest the best indoor stationary bike?  I am looking to buy one that has some computer programs and automatically adjusts the tension.  I am not good at manually adjusting, I tend to keep it easy.  Not looking for an indoor trainer to hook my bike onto.

Thanks.

2010-08-30 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3070916

User image

Subject: RE: Stationary Indoor Bike - whats good?
You're going to find the best answer is a trainer, then you're using your bike in the manner you're going to race it with the setup you're going to race. Plus if you get a fluid trainer there are no adjustments after the initial setup, shifting makes it harder or easier to work. I'm not sure why this is not an option.
2010-08-30 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mayville, Wi
An old "Johnny G Spinner Pro" (picked up off craigslist) and a collection of Spinervals DVDs works for me - I actually train two out of three bike sessions per week that way during the "on" season.  My wife even likes it, except for that time I left my racing saddle on - I didn't realize there were that many curse words in the english language.  I think she was channeling Sam Kinneson.
2010-08-30 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3070935

User image

DanielG - 2010-08-30 5:12 AM You're going to find the best answer is a trainer, then you're using your bike in the manner you're going to race it with the setup you're going to race. Plus if you get a fluid trainer there are no adjustments after the initial setup, shifting makes it harder or easier to work. I'm not sure why this is not an option.

x2
2010-08-30 4:08 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
If I had the cash, or could justify spending that much to myself, the Cycleops indoor bikes look pretty awesome.... http://www.cycleops.com/products/indoor-cycles.html

Just curious though - why would you not consider using a trainer for your own bike? You're not likely to exactly match your bike fit on even the best indoor exercise bike. And a couple hundred bucks (at most) on a trainer certainly seems more cost effective than a couple thousand on a stationary bike....
2010-08-30 4:55 PM

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but a quick follow-up question.....how much noise do the trainers make?  This seems like a good option for me as well, but while my house is being built, I am living in an apartment on the second floor.  Would it be too much noise for the neighbors below me?  Floors are carpet, don't know if that makes a difference or not.  Thanks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stationary Indoor Bike - whats good? Rss Feed