General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Lauderdale Classic Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fort Lauderdale Classic Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
United States
Family Fitness Weekend
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/20
Pre-race routine:

Lots of bulk weight lifting 5 days/week and a 3 mile run each tue-thurs evening. Longer 6-7 mile runs on the weekends. Have not swam or biked in a couple months. No open water practice.
Event warmup:

Uhh, I walked from transtion to the beach, does that count?
Swim
  • 22m 41s
  • 400 yards
  • 05m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wow, what an idiot I am. I was not even close to prepared for this. Extremely difficult time getting to the buoy, maintaining a pace with the high choppy surf was near impossible for me.
What would you do differently?:

Practice open water swims and actually prepare for this.
Transition 1
  • 03m 29s
Comments:

With no experience here or any sort of preparation I had probably the worst T1 in the entire event. I didn't even know what "T1" was until I read this site, AFTER my tri.

Actually read something about transitions and employ the tactics. Also need to actually practice this at home.
Bike
  • 36m 26s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Simply horrible. Using a mountain bike was a bad idea. It showed that I did zero bike training. With my goal onlying being to "do" a tri, I knew anyone could ride a bike 10 miles. The distances on this course were supsect so I don't think this ride was 10 miles.. maybe 8.

Actually prepare and buy a road bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

This was a lot better since I didn't need to change shoes. Just racked bike and started running. Considering I did nothing in transtion 2 minutes is too long.

Hmm, just hurry my ass up.
Run
  • 12m 37s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I pretty much sprinted this run. Very easy since running is the only preparation I had for this tri it's not surprising it's the only event I didn't finish dead last.

Hmm, not much. Maybe push a little harder. I didn't know the course and was told it was a 2.6 mile run (not 2) so I could have even pushed a little harder. I need to see the course before the event next tri.
Post race
Warm down:

Hmm, walked around reception area. Nothing really.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Extremely poor preparation. I saw this event 2 weeks prior to it, I knew I was in great shape so figured I could at least finish. Which I did. But after seeing so many people kick my ass, I want to actually apply myself for the next tri.

Event comments:

This event suffered in that the distances were way off. This is not the first year for this event so I really find it quite irresponsible of the organizers for not providing more accurate distances. It really left a bad taste and I will not do any more of the FamilyFitness weekends. There are a lot of tri's to choose from in South Florida and this one seems to pretty much suck. I can't wait for the Miami Man olympic distance in November, I'll be way more prepared. I was a fat 240 lb. 5'4" slob 2 years ago, and now I just finished a triathlon at 145lbs. I'm quite happy despite my dismal performance.

Last updated: 2005-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:41 | 400 yards | 05m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/20
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course: Standard ocean course, swim out to buoy, turn north, swim to next buoy, return. Very rough seas that day.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:29
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:36:26 | 10 miles | 16.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/20
Wind: Little
Course: Straight course along the ocean on A1A in Fort Lauderdale. Two U-turns and one turn into/out of a park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Bad Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:12:37 | 02 miles | 06m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/20
Performance: Average
Course: Paved surface through a park. No hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %4
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-07-21 9:01 AM

New user

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Subject: Fort Lauderdale Classic Sprint Triathlon

2005-07-23 6:26 AM
in reply to: #203687

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Fort Lauderdale Classic Sprint Triathlon
Humbling experience, huh.  I heard from some that this race was a total fiasco, and the ocean swim was dreadful.  But you did it and now you know what you need to do to really race...Multirace does a great job of organizing their series.  I've done 3 of the series so far, and have been happy with their organization thus far.  see ya out there.  (btw-congrats on losing the weight and getting in shape)
2005-07-23 5:14 PM
in reply to: #203687

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Fort Lauderdale Classic Sprint Triathlon
show up and tri!!! wow, you will be awesome with a little practice.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Lauderdale Classic Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed