General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Who I am and where I am at... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-02 11:06 AM

New user

Bay Village, OH
Subject: Who I am and where I am at...

Let me say up front, I am always looking for input or help.

Been road cycling for 5 years now.  Living in northern Ohio makes it a seasonal sport, so I try to make it to the gym keep up a base.  I did the Bike MS ride again this year which is two days @ 75 miles per day.  It’s not a race and some drafting was used.  My cyclo-computer put my pace at 16.8 mph on day one and 17.6 on day two, but my buddy’s Garmin had us about one mph faster.  (It cuts out the stopped times faster.)  If I start training for a tri, I’ll try to start riding with aero- bars.  I know I can sprint up to 28 mph for about a hundred meters or so and can cruise at 20 mph on shorter, flatter rides.

I am 5’ 11” and currently at 175 lbs down from 210 lbs (5 years ago), thanks to cycling and having a goal event ever year to get in shape for.  I turn 40 next year and think it would be a good goal for me to train for a half-Ironman, or maybe I’m just losing my mind. 

Food-wise, I tend to eat what I want, but not like when I was a teenager.  I do eat more turkey and whole grains than I used to, but I’ll still have ice cream or pizza when my wife or daughter has it.  I did use some Whey-Protein shake mix on the run up to the Bike MS ride and it seemed to help, but it may have been all mental. 

I started throwing in some jogging this year.  Not real far.  My longest jog was 3 miles on the indoor track at my gym, but it was after 20 minutes on the stationary bike and I average about an 8 and a half minute mile pace.  I left good and only stopped due to lack of time that day.  I don’t know any competitive runners, so I don’t know what’s good.  It just seems like I can get into a zone and stay there for a long time. 

The biggest problem I have is that I cannot swim properly.  I won’t drown if I’m in the water, but I don’t have a good free-style technique.   I am not sure where to start picking up this skill.  Most pools seem too short to get into a rhythm.  I live very close to Lake Erie and it would be good practice to swim there, but I would be by myself, which is scary.  Any pointers on where to start here are appreciated. 

My body seems to be geared toward endurance events more than pure speed.  My goals are just to finish strong.  I see there are several different types of tri’s, but Sprint and Olympic distances seem too short, not that they aren’t tough.  I’ll likely spend too much time in transition to make a good time on a shorter course. 

There is an R3 going on near here this month in Sandusky, OH.  It’s the only big tri I’ve seen advertised near me.  I was thinking about going to watch some of it this year and then participating next year in the Half or possible the Full. 

Can I do it?  I think I can…

2010-09-02 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3078468

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Who I am and where I am at...
Welcome to BT and triathlon!

A year is plenty of time to train for a half. You can also train for a full in that time (and do several other tris beforehand to test the waters, so to speak), although it will take some pretty crazy time, dedication, funds, etc.

At your stage in the game and with your goals, it's critical to get swimming lessons/coaching. Many YMCAs offer this. You could also try posting in the Ohio forum (state forums are at the bottom of the forums page) and see if anyone has any resources they've used.
2010-09-02 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
I agree with Yanti - get thee to some swimming lessons/masters classes. While swimming in a pool may seem counterproductive (due to the size of the pool), you can seriously improve your technique. The difference between swimming and running/biking is the way to get faster at running is to run more. The way to get faster at biking is to bike more. The way to get faster at swimming is to get someone that knows what they are doing to teach you how to get faster.

Is an HIM a reasonable goal in the next year - absolutely. Is an IM - if you have the time and dedication. Don't rush it. You are still young and have plenty of time to fit it all in. It takes a while to build up a good base before you can really start to see improvements (there was a thread in TriTalk this morning about running - where some believe that you can't really start to see great improvement with your running speed until you are consistently clocking over 40 miles per week for 3 to 6 months). I would err on the side of caution and take some time to enjoy the process. Try a couple of smaller races in the next few months and see if it's the sport for you...then you can sign up for a HIM. Enjoy the ride!

About swimming in a lake by yourself...you can do it...but you should take a few precautions:
1)  tell someone where/when you are going
2)  swim around the edges, that way if you get in a bad situation, you can easily swim to shore
3)  you can attach a cord through a swimming noodle, and then tie it to your waist, so the noddle just floats along behind you while you are swimming - just to be safe
4)  wear a bright swim cap so you are easy to see

Have a great time and let us know what you decide!
2010-09-02 4:01 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
I started down a similar path last year at age 40 and at about the same level fitness. I have 2 sprints under my belt, an Oly next week and 1/2 marathon in November.  I have made the leap and am signed up for a HIM next June. 

One other similarity is that I too could not swim.  Sure I could muddle way through breaststroke for a while and I learned Red Cross swim techniques when I was a kid, but I was not comfortable in water.  In fact, I was a downright panic.  I searched for resources geared towards adults and especially triathletes.  After much research, I went with the folks at Total Immersion (www.totalimmersion.net).  While the program made sense and is geared towards self teaching, I did their two day intense swim clinic (which made all the difference for me).  Swimming, unlike the other disciplines, is completely technique based and you just can't muscle your way through it.  I've been at TI for 10 months and have only begun to scratch the surface.  There are many things still wrong with my technique, but I am constantly trying to improve my technique during every stroke

Your concerns about pools being to short indicates to me that a technique based training approach would be a great place to start.  There's no doubt that there is monotony in swimming tons of laps, but open water ain't the place to learn technique.  As others have pointed out, the dangers of OWS are real. In my first tri, one of the entrants in my wave never returned and was found floating in the river (he too was a fit 40 something year old).  In my second race, I really thought about a DNF as I started to panic when the cold medicine I took caused my heart rate to spike.  Stick to the pool to learn technique - then when comfortable in the pool - practice in open water.  For me, I knew I was ready for a OWS when I could comfortable swim 1 mile in a pool.

Watching events are a great way to learn, but participating is even better.  The experience you will gain in a shorter distance event will be immeasurable.  The only way you learn about whether you have the right nutrition and hydration is by practicing them in race conditions.  Most importantly, sh*t happens in a race which never occurs in practice.  The experience you will gain overcoming these obstacles will make you mentally stronger for the longer distances.

Best of Luck

Joey
2010-09-03 7:11 AM
in reply to: #3079361

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
JoePetto - 2010-09-02 5:01 AM
Stick to the pool to learn technique - then when comfortable in the pool - practice in open water.  For me, I knew I was ready for a OWS when I could comfortable swim 1 mile in a pool.

I really agree with this. My first season, I did some swimming in pools and a lot of swimming in open water - and didn't do very well on the swim. Partially due to lack of skill, and partially due to lack of confidence. I spent the winter working on my swimming in a pool (I live in Maine and couldn't psych myself up for doing an OWS in Feb Tongue out)...the next season I was MUCH more comfortable in the open water because I knew I could cover the distance.

Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Who I am and where I am at... Rss Feed