General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Talk to me about Newton's and running styles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-09-08 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3086662

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Talk to me about Newton's and running styles
beanmj - 2010-09-08 3:16 AM

So the study shows less heel striking as times improve. Saying that heel striking is "right" because most people run that way is faulty; they've been trained their whole lives by their shoes to heel strike. What would the study show if the whole raised-heel super-cushioned motion-control movement never started?

I didn't see anywhere that someone said heel striking was right (may have missed it though) rather that it is not necessarily wrong.  Ultimately, the way your foot hits the ground (heel versus midfoot) is much less important than where it strikes in relation to the rest of your body. 

Shane

2010-09-08 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3081421

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Talk to me about Newton's and running styles
Oh good googly moogly. They are SHOES. Not mythical devices that suddenly bring an increase in speed, or alternately are some sort of medieval torture device foisted upon us by evil corporations hellbent on economic domination.

They are sneakers. If they fit, feel good, and you like them, buy them. Really, it does not have to be any more complicated than that for the great majority of you.

Personally, I don't like to spend more than $80 for a pair of running shoes (and generally spend more like $40). If you do, that's entirely your decision, and I have no thoughts or concerns on how you spend your money.

If your goal is to run sockless, I recommend starting out slowly and building up the time. It gives your feet an opportunity to develop calluses. That will help more than special shoes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Talk to me about Newton's and running styles Rss Feed  

of 2