Canadian Triathlon Forum Nova Scotia » Bridgetown Super Sprint question Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-04 9:31 AM

Regular
Maine
Subject: Bridgetown Super Sprint question
I believe Bridgetown has several triathlon  races of various lengths in early August - from a Super Sprint to a 1/2IM.  My wife is thinking of giving this crazy sport a shot and, very understandably, wants to try a short one first.  Anyone have any thoughts of the Bridgetown Super Sprint for this purpose?  I could see both sides of an argument - 1. Big crowd and it could be overwhelming but 2. I would think the atmosphere would be great with all those participants and their supports (family, friends, etc.).  Thanks.

2010-09-05 6:59 AM
in reply to: #3081948

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Bridgetown Super Sprint question
I think it would be a great first race. I have done the Bridgetown sprint 5? of the last 8 years and it is still my favourite race. It's about the friendliest/most supportive race I have been to, has a great pasta dinner the night before, and is in a beautiful part of Nova Scotia with little traffic. It's really wonderful. I have done Kennebeunkport, Bethel, and Poland Springs which were all good races, but this one has town support like none I have been to and doing an "away race"just adds to the experience. Let me know if you have any questions I can help with as I know the area quite well. It would be great to say hello to fellow BT'ers!

Blair
2010-09-08 6:06 PM

Regular
Maine
Thanks, Blair.  I'll take you up on the offer as the race gets closer.  My wife's family lives in Cape Breton so maybe we can have her do the race on the way up so she would have some bragging rights when we visit the Highland clan (actually, they're in the Sydney area but that's close enough).
2010-09-09 6:57 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
This is my favourite race; I've been there each of the last six years and watched it grow every year.  I've done all the distances except the super sprint but the race is always well organized and has great community support.

The swim is in the Annapolis River and it is affected by the tidal generating station in Digby so the current can go either way and even switch between races.  The water is usually pretty warm and although it has been wetsuit legal every time I've done it, it is always close to the cutoff.  The bike is fairly flat but often has a bit of wind and the run is also pretty flat (I think the super sprint is pretty much totally flat) but has very little shade and is usually pretty hot.

Shane
2010-09-13 1:47 PM

Regular
Maine
If you guys keep on hyping this race I may have to bump my wife to childwatch duties and enter myself.
2010-09-13 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3095827

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Lewgrave - 2010-09-13 3:47 PM If you guys keep on hyping this race I may have to bump my wife to childwatch duties and enter myself.

Um, well, they did have childcare last year, but not this year. There will be a new Race Director next year so we may have to do some lobbying....

2010-09-23 3:54 AM

Regular
Maine
I was just kidding about the child watch.  I'm excited to be the one on the sidelines with the kids cheering on my wife.

Thanks again for the info, guys.
2010-10-24 5:45 PM

User image

New user

Bedford
I haven't done the Bridgetown but it definitely sounds like one I have to put on my list (although it will have to be in 2012 as I am committed to doing the Timberman 1/2 IM in 2011 and they are both in August).  I did do the New Glasgow/Pictou Tri at Melmerby Beach this past July and that was my favorite tri in 2010.  The organizers and support by volunteers were excellent (as in all the tris) but the course was excellent.  If it's your wife's first then she might appreciate the salt water swim(better buoyancy),
fairly flat bike and run.  The transition area is also very well organized for both set-up and use during the race.  Excellent snacks and drinks afterward as well.  Best of luck to your wife ... of course you realize, once she gets hooked on tris you might have to become involved in tris yourself if you want to see her - the sport can be amazingly addictive!
2010-10-31 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3169443

Regular
Maine
Yardmonkey - 2010-10-24 5:45 PM I haven't done the Bridgetown but it definitely sounds like one I have to put on my list (although it will have to be in 2012 as I am committed to doing the Timberman 1/2 IM in 2011 and they are both in August).  I did do the New Glasgow/Pictou Tri at Melmerby Beach this past July and that was my favorite tri in 2010.  The organizers and support by volunteers were excellent (as in all the tris) but the course was excellent.  If it's your wife's first then she might appreciate the salt water swim(better buoyancy),
fairly flat bike and run.  The transition area is also very well organized for both set-up and use during the race.  Excellent snacks and drinks afterward as well.  Best of luck to your wife ... of course you realize, once she gets hooked on tris you might have to become involved in tris yourself if you want to see her - the sport can be amazingly addictive!

Thanks for the info and I will check out the Pictou Tri.  As for myself, I was bit by the tri-bug about 3 1/2 years ago.  This coming year I'm planning on doing a "border" circuit and participate in a Olympic distance tri in New Hampshire, Quebec & New Brunswick (Yeah, I'm a Mainah).
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Nova Scotia » Bridgetown Super Sprint question Rss Feed