General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Muscle Imbalance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-04 5:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: Muscle Imbalance
Has anyone had an injury due to muscle imbalance? I have had issues with both my Achilles and Patella tendons this year, and when I was getting stretched by one of the volunteer trainers after a race, she told me it was because my quads and hamstrings were out of balance, with my quads being far stronger, which was causing my knee joints to tighten up. For most of the season, I had been concentrating only on s/b/r, while I used to weight train fairly often, especially during the winter.

Just recently, my patella has really been flaring up to the point where I can't run; thankfully this happened 20 min AFTER I crossed the finish line at the Chicago tri - walking and stairs have been tough this week. So I have gone back to the gym and am starting to do hamstring isolation exercises, along with hip abductors, and leg press (high reps, low weight on the latter). It's still a little sore, but I definitely felt good immediately after the workout.

I have already seen my doctor, who confirmed that I  haven't torn anything and suggested I take NSAIDs and RICE and to come back to him if it doesn't get better and we can talk about steroid injection.

Do you think working on hamstring strength should help the problem? Is there anything else I should be doing? I suppose I could ask my doctor for a rehab referral, but schedule is already pretty tight as it is...

2010-09-04 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3082322

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Muscle Imbalance
First I would suggest seeing a physical therapist or sports medicine doctor. most pcp are not very well trained in use and overuse injuries for sports, which is unfortunate but they are only generalists right? That way you can get a correct diagnosis and usually a set of specific exercises (stretches and strengthening) to fix it and correct an imbalance if one exists.

I had a muscle imbalance issue with my right knee due to a few different muscles from the hamstrings/quads/and glutes. After seeing a PT I got 6-7 exercises to focus on and after about 3 months with increasingly difficulty I was finally fixed. PT can help but again, you have to know the exact diagnosis and get the correct targeted exercises to fix it. I would not guess on your own based on a comment by a masseuse.
2010-09-04 5:58 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I think a majority of our injuries are caused by muscle imbalance, to be honest.
2010-09-04 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3082328

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-09-04 6:01 PM

Payson, AZ
My injury this year was caused my muscle inbalance.  This is the first year I took strength training out of my schedule and I never will again.  I am just doing enough during the season and will be more into it for the winter season.  I went to ART and it was amazing how easily the guy was able to show me my issue.  ART got me running again, strength training will keep me running
2010-09-04 10:34 PM

Veteran
Chicago
Thanks guys. Glad to see I'm not the only one. I definitely think I'll be adding in at least one full body strength training workout per week from now on. To the first responder, fair enough point: I probably can't get an extremely accurate diagnosis from a 20-minute stretch session, but to be fair to the volunteer, she wasn't just a masseuse; she was a certified physical therapist and personal trainer, at least according to her business card.

2010-09-04 11:37 PM

I suffered for years with weak, tight hamstrings until I started doing daily exercises to strengthen and them. Here are the three that have changed my life: the clamshell, the Russian deadlift, and squats. I was plagued by hamstring pulls until I added these to my daily routine. The Russian deadlifts are particularly good because they stretch and strengthen at the same time, and improve balance (because you'll do whole sets standing on just one leg.) The clamshell helps strengthen the areas of the muscles near the attachments and in the gluteus muscles. Butt crunches also help stablize the glutes and provide support for hamstrings. As a general rule, I have found strengthing much more helpful than just stretching, which seems to aggravate injuries more than it helps them.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Muscle Imbalance Rss Feed