General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low Rep vs High Rep Weight Training during base building phase Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-04 9:14 PM

Subject: Low Rep vs High Rep Weight Training during base building phase
So I have been scanning the internet for the past hour or so trying to resolve this question of whether during the next 20 weeks of base/volume building what kind of weight training I should incorporate.

I'm currently doing the 20 weeks balanced Olympic Distance Program which includes 2 weight training sessions a week http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=41

I'm 22 years old and in pretty good shape. I could complete an olympic distance triathlon if I needed to currently but don't have much of a formal endurance sport background. I lost about 100lbs about 6 years ago by focusing primarily on weight training using a beginner body builder type split and mixing in cardio. Since then I've just sort of been generally a pretty active guy and managed to stay in good shape (by normal standards that is). I have a solid basic knowledge of powertraining and body building focused weight training, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around weight training for triathlons.

I'm getting a ton of contradictory information on the web, some seem to recommend low rep and others high rep for opposing reasons and I just can't seem to find anything that convinces me of one over the other. I'm pretty confident however that low rep high weight training while volume building would be foolish and best saved for off season. I have a pretty solid strength base, in powerlifting terms I'm an advanced beginner to intermediate for my big three and the others so I wouldn't really make anymore newb gains that come from just picking up a barbell especially while doing a volume building routine. However almost everything I know about weight training says doing anything more than 12 reps is really just a waste of time if you have any ambition in gaining strength and are already at an above average level of strength which is what the opposing camp recommends. So if there were no real benefits to high rep weight training for me then it presents a considerable opportunity cost in terms of time of energy which could be redirected towards base building.

Here is ultimately what I'm thinking makes most sense for me given what I know.

Low reps at a high weight but not so high as to come at the expense of my ability to successfully complete that 20 week program. With this strategy I'd focus on the big compound lifts probably in 5 rep range, drop my weight down some to focus on maintaining perfect form while working through the movement slowly and also throw in the typical auxiliary exercises, ie weighted dips, pull ups, hyper extensions, rows. The goal wouldn't be gaining strength but rather maintaining it.

Comments? Thoughts? Criticism? 

2010-09-05 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3082478

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Low Rep vs High Rep Weight Training during base building phase
Hey man.  Good to see another weightlifter here.  I too was somewhat advanced when I started tri training.  315 bench, 450 dead, 375 squat.  Ah the good ole days.  I've had to experiment with different set ups to see what works best for me.  Ultimately I've come to a compromise in the 2.  I lift T, Th, S (lightish) in the 16 week Oly program.  I go heavy on one big lift a session.  5x3-5 and then high rep/circut the rest for total upper body.  In season I throw 1 day of heavy legs every 2-4 weeks.  Out of season I'd do more legs. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low Rep vs High Rep Weight Training during base building phase Rss Feed