General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is stretching before running important for muscle endurance? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-09-09 4:40 PM
in reply to: #3090087

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Is stretching before running important for muscle endurance?

I'm also curious to see the 'studies' that many people in this thread are quoting. My wife and I have been, um, 'discussing' the stretch as it applies to the tri sports. She is a firm believer that I should stretch at least after, while I think it's a luxury that I don't always have time for.

Just go to either pubmed or google, and search for "Stretching studies", you'll find a bunch that argue both ways, for and against stretching. Currently it's one of those unprovable debates, much like strength training/weightlifting and endurance benefits.

John

2010-09-09 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3088947

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
All I can say is that if I don't stretch before a run, I am slower and I feel the pain quicker. A quick stretch before the run and I get up to speed quicker and can keep it going a bit further. And if I skip stretching afterwards, I definitely do feel it much more then next day...

YMMV.
2010-09-09 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3088947

New user
Track Town
Since HS I have always done my "dynamic WU" series, like butt kicks, heel/toe walk, walking quad pull, tin soldier walk, and skipping quick/bounding. People always look at me funny since well I do look funny, but hey its what I was taught. Stretching has risks that far outweigh the benefits for me, so I stick with what I know.

There definitely is strong support for both sides, it very much is personal preference or experience if you ask people.  
2010-09-10 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3090151

User image

Master
Beijing
Malign - 2010-09-08 6:02 PM Since HS I have always done my "dynamic WU" series, like butt kicks, heel/toe walk, walking quad pull, tin soldier walk, and skipping quick/bounding. People always look at me funny since well I do look funny, but hey its what I was taught. Stretching has risks that far outweigh the benefits for me, so I stick with what I know.

There definitely is strong support for both sides, it very much is personal preference or experience if you ask people.  

I believe the latest study I read said exactly this.   If you're currently stretching, go ahead and keep stretching.   If you're not, there's no reason to start.   

There was no statistical difference in injuries to the groups of "stretchers" and "non-stretchers"

HOWEVER, if someone was previously a "stretcher" and was assigned to be a "non-stretcher" during the 3 month study... their risk of injury was doubled!  

From the study:

"Although, all subjects switching routines were more likely to experience an

injury than those who did not switch, the group that stopped stretching had by far the higher

number of reported injuries, implying that an immediate shift in a regimen may be more

important than the regimen itself."

So, I am a non-stretcher and will continue to be a non-stretcher.

(Found the link to the synopsis: http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?DUID=USATF_2010_08_20_12_13_14)

(and to the actual results: http://www.usatf.org/stretchStudy/StretchStudyReport.pdf)
2010-09-10 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3090151

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Malign - 2010-09-09 6:02 PM Since HS I have always done my "dynamic WU" series, like butt kicks, heel/toe walk, walking quad pull, tin soldier walk, and skipping quick/bounding. People always look at me funny since well I do look funny, but hey its what I was taught. Stretching has risks that far outweigh the benefits for me, so I stick with what I know. 

Ding Ding Ding...here we have a winner!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is stretching before running important for muscle endurance? Rss Feed  

of 2