General Discussion Triathlon Talk » lower HR w/o slowing down? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-23 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
Subject: lower HR w/o slowing down?

Any tricks to lowering heart rate without slowing down? Relaxing shoulders seems like a good one. In fact telling myself to relax in general helps. This might be a silly question (now that i'm writing it), but I was just wondering if anyone had some tricks up their sleeve.

2005-07-23 6:24 PM
in reply to: #205459

Extreme Veteran
Central Wisconsin
Subject: RE: lower HR w/o slowing down?
I think that's the key right there is just relaxing. In addition to relaxing the shoulders, relax the facial muscles and the arms / hands. I guess another way is to just keep all around good form.
2005-07-23 7:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
nikki - 2005-07-23 11:11 AM

Any tricks to lowering heart rate without slowing down? Relaxing shoulders seems like a good one. In fact telling myself to relax in general helps. This might be a silly question (now that i'm writing it), but I was just wondering if anyone had some tricks up their sleeve.

<>Can I piggy back onto this my high heart rate question?  Does caffeine help or hurt?   Let's say I can run forever at 165 beats per minute.  If I take caffeine does it speed up my heart rate?  (I think it does.)  But can I run just as well at 170 bpm on caffeine as I can at 165?  In other words, does caffeine help?

This isn't really supposed to be a thread hijack, because the reason I'm asking is I'd love to lower my heart rate as well and was wondering if - gasp - giving up coffee was a good idea.

Gwendal
2005-07-23 8:34 PM
in reply to: #205629

Extreme Veteran
Central Wisconsin
No, caffeine does not help. Caffeine is a stimulant that increases your hear rate. I know some people that do take caffeine pills before a short run because one of the side effects of caffeine is that it relaxes your bronchial muscle enabling easier breathing, or the effect of being able to breathe easier. I do not condone nor reccommend doing this though. As far as the question can you run just as well at 165 bpm as 170 bpm; no. Simply put, you will burn out faster.

I'm not a doctor or a coach but I stayed at a Holiday Inn a few times and how I've lowered my heart rate during working out is by slowing down. When I'm in my base phase of training I do 3-4 long runs a week at 70% of my MHR. Now this sloooooowwww. As in 10-11 m/m slow. Usually within a month of doing this though, my heart starts to work more efficent and I'm able to do the same run staying within 70% of my MHR, at an 8-9 m/m pace. Granted, I'm usually also doing 2 short tempo runs a week at 85% of my MHR.

I know we are in the middle of the season so it's not a good time to start a new program but it may be something to think about next season. Also there are a couple good books out there, one of them is the "Idiots Guide to Heart Rate Training" (even though I hate paying someone who calls me an idiot, I do reccommend the book) and "Training for Endurance" which you can order on the pccoach.com website and they also have some excellent information on it as well.
2005-07-23 8:44 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Posture helps too.  Concentrate on your form.  The farther I go, the more likely I am to slouch, look at the ground, and pull my hands up toward my chest instead of keeping my arms loosely swinging and bent  about 90 degrees.  Every so often, I refocus on my form during a run, and being more efficient will knock a few beats off my HR.
2005-07-24 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma

posture - relax - form - long slow runs - easy on the caffeine

got it!

gwendal - glad you asked about the caffeine, it was interesting!!

thanks everyone

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » lower HR w/o slowing down? Rss Feed