General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long does it take to get used to orthodics? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-10 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
Subject: How long does it take to get used to orthodics?

I've been having problems with PF (pain in my arch not my heel).  I saw a podiatrist this week who gave me orthodics (OTC, moldable ones).  I've just been wearing them in my running shoes around the house and they kind of bug me.  The dr said I needed to ease into them, but I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get used to them??  WIll they always feel funky?

How long did it take you to get used to your orthodics?

2010-09-10 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3091993

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Subject: RE: How long does it take to get used to orthodics?
kylerboys - 2010-09-10 1:02 PM

How long did it take you to get used to your orthodics? 

At first, I started with wearing them for an hour or two and worked my way up to where I could wear them all day.  And as for running, same routine.  I don't recall my orthotics ever felt strange to me; maybe a little different at first, but certainly easy to adjust to.  

2010-09-10 8:27 PM

User image

Bronze member
I'm on my 3rd pair (over about 12 years) and I still had to break the new ones in. It takes a little while, and they will never feel like your walking on air or anything. I've only been wearing mine when I run this summer (sweaty feet in the summer - hope that's not TMI). Anyway, just wear them a little every day for as long as you can stand. My podiatrists have always recommended that if I notice something new hurts (like my knees or back) to be sure and make another appointment for an adjustment. After I got my new pair this spring I noticed some heel pain so you can bet I called right away. Turns out they were correcting too much.

Good luck! I feel your pain. I've had PF in both feet (along with an assortment of other foot problems). Hope your feet get happy soon!
2010-09-10 8:48 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

Always takes a few days and always feels uncomfortable at first.  (I've had four prescription pairs over the last 10 years.)  Patience.  And don't go out and run a whole bunch before you've gotten relatively comfortable in them.  Caveat:  How comfortable they ultimately get depends a lot on who dispensed and fitted them (podiatrist or prothetician).  I've had two really great pairs that were fitted by podiatrists, two not so great pairs that were cast and dispensed by prostheticians.

2010-09-10 10:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS
I'm sure you'll get used to them quickly since they are made to help you. I've been wearing orthodics since I was 3 (high arch) and have pain if I don't wear them. 
2010-09-10 10:44 PM

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA

May sound stupid, but check to make sure your right and left are in the correct shoes.  My husband is a PT and that seems to happen sometimes.  I know of two folks at least who have made that mistake not including the examples that my husband has seen.

Mine did not feel uncomfortable....if it continues...go back and get them checked.

Ann 

2010-09-11 6:09 PM

They should feel a bit  different, maybe even annoying as you get used to them, but they should not be painful.  Breaking then in gradually is the norm.  I am not a believer in the need to adjust new orthotics.  If they are designed appropriately and the cast was made well, they will never be as accurate as they are right out of the box.  Along the same lines, the need for frequent adjustments to "bring them back" to the proper fit usually means the material and methods is lacking.  Orthotics should not change radically or lose their Rx.    All orthotics are not created equal.  Frankly, some are only good to scrape ice off the windows, and others can be career savers.
2010-09-11 7:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia

After two fractured sesmoids,very very severe pf in both feet, mortons neuroma in the left, and 18months out of action (finished my first tri today- shuffle jogging, but hey....) I have a few questions.Is your pain very severe?Your pod should have given you a break in schedule if he felt the amount of correction was significant in comarison to your foot shape and walking/running mechanics. Im guessing he feels this otc moldable is a slightly soft orthotic, mild correction that can be worn as your comfort level dictates.  Do you know what brand they are, just curious. There are many options out there, and your feet know the best one, dont be shy to tell them if its not working. I kept up with my full lenght custom orthotics after an adjustment was made that didnt help because I didnt want to hassle the orthotic maker again, and I acquired mortons neruoma in one of my feet. Do you have high arches? Were you offered custom orhtos? Did they want to give you injections on the spot? (My pod tried to offer me bone removal, and injections on the spot, at our first hello.!) I had no idea what I needed. Take some time get a frozen water bottle out, roll those aching feet,do your mild stretching,  and do some research if these otc's dont work out youll be armed with the info you need at your next Dr. visit. Best of luck, and let us know how it works out.

2010-09-11 8:55 PM

Correction to my previous reply.  If they were not custom made from a mold of your foot and fabricated by an orthotic laboratory, they are technically not orthotics, but are over the counter arch supports.  Some people in the medical equipment business would call an arch support that is fit to your foot, heat molded or adjusted an orthotic, but it is just an arch support.  It's a marketing thing.  With something that is not custom molded to your foot, all bets are off in terms of what to expect.  Typically unless the fit is poor or unless you have an unusual foot structure, you should be fine after a few days break in. 
2010-09-12 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
I have found that the sole brand moldable otc stuff really changes very little during the process. I have even cut a pair in half to measure the thickness in different spots. ( you get picky after having pf for a while)The shape they are in the box is going to be very similar to the molded shape. I'm guessing the other brands are somewhat similar. Paid for a custom pair from the pod, and later took them to another orthotic maker who said the were not custom at all, but that they were made from a standard mold as the right and left were simple mirror image shapes with no differences specific to my feet. Fwiw after two pairs of "custom" orthotics I'm using the Ed V's from sole.
2010-09-12 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3093406

mxr746 - 2010-09-12 8:21 AM I have found that the sole brand moldable otc stuff really changes very little during the process. I have even cut a pair in half to measure the thickness in different spots. ( you get picky after having pf for a while)The shape they are in the box is going to be very similar to the molded shape. I'm guessing the other brands are somewhat similar. Paid for a custom pair from the pod, and later took them to another orthotic maker who said the were not custom at all, but that they were made from a standard mold as the right and left were simple mirror image shapes with no differences specific to my feet. Fwiw after two pairs of "custom" orthotics I'm using the Ed V's from sole.

Accusing your doctor of fraud is pretty hardcore.  Did your Podiatrist make a mold of your foot using plaster or foam or a computer scan?  If so, they were likely custom orthotics.  If an orthotic lab makes an orthotic from vacuum forming the mold, the orthotics will likely be somewhat different, but even then, the techs try to minimize differences with their plaster work.  A lab that uses a scan or a scan of the mold with a computer aided fabrication will often mirror image the devices so they are identical.  They either take the best mold or average to two.    The idea is to put both feet in a similar corrected position so this principle is sound.    Obviously patients with clubfoot, post polio, weird deformities, etc will not follow this principle. 

This is not an exact science despite what labs and docs would like you to believe.  In my opinion, the worst thing that you can do is do a standing foam mold and use that to make the orthotics.  That just captures your bad foot position, and these labs are notorious for making asymmetrical orthotics.  Usually a waste of money IMHO.  

Ed V's from Sole are excellent and for most people just as appropriate as something custom made. 

2010-09-12 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
I think mine took a couple weeks until I didn't notice them.  They were fitted by a podiatrist, spring 2008.  The technique was that he held my feet "neutral", made casts, then sent them off to the factory.  The finished product looks like carbon fiber or some kind of composite material.  Very hard and stiff.

How long should these things last anyway?
2010-09-12 7:55 PM

User image

Master
I have had mine for about 6 months they were fitted through a place I went for PT.
She had me walk and jog/ run up and down the hall way about 10 times.
I had to do deep knee bends and several other things.
She used a thing rubber/ synthetic material that was warmed and some sort of machine to "mold it to my feet.
Went back a week later. She tired them in my street shoes my running shoes and my indoor trainers. Same process as before run walk etc...
Told me to wqaer them for an hour or sho to start. With in 3 days it was barely noticeable.
Began running after the PT people gave me clearance.
Fitted correctly it shopuld not take much time at all.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long does it take to get used to orthodics? Rss Feed