BT Development ARE YOU NEW? Beginner Triathlete Group Training » Olympic 2X balanced 16 Week Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: Tri Take Me Away, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-01-08 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3092808

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Olympic 2X balanced 16 Week Plan
How is everyone doing? Check in and let us know if you have any questions.

2011-02-08 11:18 PM
in reply to: #3287421

Tri Take Me Away - 2011-01-08 9:12 PM How is everyone doing? Check in and let us know if you have any questions.

I lost about a month of training due to some family issues, but I am trying to get back on track this week.  I have gotten to where I can go 2 miles with maybe a little bit of walking and when I left off, I was swimming around 2000 yds.  Still riding the stationary bike, but I do have a road bike now, but we have had some hellishly cold weather, so it is the best I can do.
2011-02-11 2:41 PM

Hey - I'm completely new to forums in general, as well as triathalons.  I figured it would be something I would like to work towards, as every other time I try to get back into the gym just lifting weights I quit after about a month.  I'm 29 and in fairly good shape, and would like to maybe try a race this summer but have no idea where to start or which training program to follow.  I'm also a shift worker so any feedback on how to alter any program to suit an always changing schedule would be greatly appreciated!  Just did a 30 min bike ride today to start the first day.  Will keep checking up on here as I'm still trying to figure out the site.  Any and all feedback would help a bunch.  Thanks!

Jeff 
2011-02-13 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3346260

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
mfulls - 2011-02-08 11:18 PM
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-01-08 9:12 PM How is everyone doing? Check in and let us know if you have any questions.

I lost about a month of training due to some family issues, but I am trying to get back on track this week.  I have gotten to where I can go 2 miles with maybe a little bit of walking and when I left off, I was swimming around 2000 yds.  Still riding the stationary bike, but I do have a road bike now, but we have had some hellishly cold weather, so it is the best I can do.

Glad you can get back on track now. Don't worry at ALL about that lost month. Just focus on the now and the future.
2011-02-13 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3350969

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
jvh925 - 2011-02-11 2:41 PM Hey - I'm completely new to forums in general, as well as triathalons.  I figured it would be something I would like to work towards, as every other time I try to get back into the gym just lifting weights I quit after about a month.  I'm 29 and in fairly good shape, and would like to maybe try a race this summer but have no idea where to start or which training program to follow.  I'm also a shift worker so any feedback on how to alter any program to suit an always changing schedule would be greatly appreciated!  Just did a 30 min bike ride today to start the first day.  Will keep checking up on here as I'm still trying to figure out the site.  Any and all feedback would help a bunch.  Thanks!

Jeff 

Hi Jeff! Welcome to BT, and thanks for joining us! Here is what I would suggest for you:
1. Find a Sprint triathlon in your area that is in May, June, or July. A sprint is usually around 400 yards of swimming, 10-15 miles of biking, and a 3.1 mile run. I recommend you start there just to get a sense of what triathlon training is like before you move up to the Olympic distance.
2. Look at this 13 week plan or this 16 week plan and get a feel for what they entail. Try some of the workouts this week. If you choose a June race, you can start the 16 week plan in March, and take the rest of February to try some of the workouts and get used to the terminology.
3. I have a triathlon client that is a firefighter, so he is 4 days on, 4 days off. He adjusts his training so that he gets as much done as he can in those 4 days. The same goes for any other kind of shift work. You may have to do back-to-back workouts instead of 2 workouts spread out between the morning and the evening. That's another good reason to start with a sprint triathlon - it's much easier to fit in those shorter sessions.
2011-02-14 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Hello Jessica and friends-

I am in the midst of choosing a plan to follow, and think that the 16 week Oly plan is my choice. I do come from a running background, though it has been a loooong time (decades) since I was 'competitive'  

I have never done a triathlon, though am very comfortable on the bike, and can swim. I began swim-training last year and was able to swim 1500 in just over 30 min after about four months of 2X/week.
I have been building my running base the past couple months using the Higdon novice half-marathon plan, in prep for a mid-Feb event..... However, I think I have decided to not run it, due to PF in my right foot, and a nagging tenderness/ dis-comfort in my left knee! Looking at the long-term for the rest of the 'season' , I have decided now might be a great time to get back in the pool
There is another half-marathon here in mid-March, though... (I have never done a half, and thought it would be a good goal to train for, with the intention of building mileage slowly and safely- the PF and knee have been an issue for a very long time...)

There is an Oly in later June I want to enter, with the possibility of one or more sprints before. There are several opportunities to improve on either the Oly or Sprint after the June event.
This leads to a question or two, I guess. I would like to continue with the running at the current level (following the Higdon Half plan) with 2 swims, and 2-3 bike sessions per week. This would be a little more work than the 2x-balanced plan, but a little more 'do-able' than the commitment of the 3x-balanced.... Does this sound feasible? I mean, I do not want to drop back to 20 minutes of running.... I guess  I want to follow the 2X-balanced, and add to it when I can and feel up to it.

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback, and I look forward to getting ready for my first foray into the world of SBR!

kelly

2011-02-15 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3355210

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
triosaurus - 2011-02-14 7:57 PM Hello Jessica and friends-

I am in the midst of choosing a plan to follow, and think that the 16 week Oly plan is my choice. I do come from a running background, though it has been a loooong time (decades) since I was 'competitive'  

I have never done a triathlon, though am very comfortable on the bike, and can swim. I began swim-training last year and was able to swim 1500 in just over 30 min after about four months of 2X/week.
I have been building my running base the past couple months using the Higdon novice half-marathon plan, in prep for a mid-Feb event..... However, I think I have decided to not run it, due to PF in my right foot, and a nagging tenderness/ dis-comfort in my left knee! Looking at the long-term for the rest of the 'season' , I have decided now might be a great time to get back in the pool
There is another half-marathon here in mid-March, though... (I have never done a half, and thought it would be a good goal to train for, with the intention of building mileage slowly and safely- the PF and knee have been an issue for a very long time...)

There is an Oly in later June I want to enter, with the possibility of one or more sprints before. There are several opportunities to improve on either the Oly or Sprint after the June event.
This leads to a question or two, I guess. I would like to continue with the running at the current level (following the Higdon Half plan) with 2 swims, and 2-3 bike sessions per week. This would be a little more work than the 2x-balanced plan, but a little more 'do-able' than the commitment of the 3x-balanced.... Does this sound feasible? I mean, I do not want to drop back to 20 minutes of running.... I guess  I want to follow the 2X-balanced, and add to it when I can and feel up to it.

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback, and I look forward to getting ready for my first foray into the world of SBR!

kelly

Hi Kelly. Thanks for stopping by! Yes, your plan sound perfectly reasonable. Since your running base is already pretty good, you may want to do some speed work or intervals on the shorter running days and keep your long run at 1.5 hours or so while training for the triathlons.
There is another way to think about this, though. Your running can be maintained with less volume than you are currently performing. Dropping your running volume by 1/3 to 1/2 will still allow you to maintain a lot of fitness and will also allow you MORE TIME to devote to the weaker sports for you, which are cycling and swimming. One of the harder things to do while training for a triathlon is to force yourself to focus more time on the things you aren't good at instead of the things you ARE good at. People hate to lose fitness, but allowing yourself to maintain or perhaps lose a little bit of running fitness may also allow you to gain fitness in the oter sports than in the end will help you finish the race faster.
2011-02-19 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3356702

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

Hi Kelly. Thanks for stopping by! Yes, your plan sound perfectly reasonable. Since your running base is already pretty good, you may want to do some speed work or intervals on the shorter running days and keep your long run at 1.5 hours or so while training for the triathlons.
There is another way to think about this, though. Your running can be maintained with less volume than you are currently performing. Dropping your running volume by 1/3 to 1/2 will still allow you to maintain a lot of fitness and will also allow you MORE TIME to devote to the weaker sports for you, which are cycling and swimming. One of the harder things to do while training for a triathlon is to force yourself to focus more time on the things you aren't good at instead of the things you ARE good at. People hate to lose fitness, but allowing yourself to maintain or perhaps lose a little bit of running fitness may also allow you to gain fitness in the oter sports than in the end will help you finish the race faster.

Jessica

Many thanks for the feedback, and for taking the time to provide this forum !

Good luck to everyone.

kelly
2011-02-21 4:13 PM

Hello Everyone,

I found this forum as I was making my plan for my first olympic triathlon. I figured I might as well get on here and see what and how everyone else is doing in their training. I am new to triathlons although I have been preparing for one for quite some time. I signed up for my first one in 2009 but dislocated my foot and had to sit out the whole season. 2010 did not prove any better and I was not able to do my first race. However, I am committed now to do it and hope that we can all support each other. I am 29 years old and have an extensive running background from my time in the military and my current job with the Sheriff's department. I also have a fairly decent background in biking but it could use some work. My biggest weakness would have to be swimming. I plan on following the 2X weekly plan although I may add in an extra day of swimming to work on my form or just get more time in the pool. My race that I have scheduled is June 18th. I plan on doing a sprint triathlon in April as sort of a precursor. Depending on how that goes, I may just do a sprint in June instead of the olympic, who knows. I really want to do the olympic so I am leaning more towards that. My work schedule is four days on and four days off. This means that a majority of my training occurs on my off days. I will sometimes do two a days with one workout in the morning and one at night. Does this sound reasonable or should I just do one a day? Also, the plan from beginner traithlete just lists distance and time. Should I mix up the workouts with some intervals or speedwork or should I just try and do the time? I am excited to start training and look forward to hearing any and all feedback. Thanks

Andy

Edited by Andrew77 2011-02-21 4:13 PM
2011-02-22 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3365735

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Andrew77 - 2011-02-21 4:13 PM Hello Everyone,

I found this forum as I was making my plan for my first olympic triathlon. I figured I might as well get on here and see what and how everyone else is doing in their training. I am new to triathlons although I have been preparing for one for quite some time. I signed up for my first one in 2009 but dislocated my foot and had to sit out the whole season. 2010 did not prove any better and I was not able to do my first race. However, I am committed now to do it and hope that we can all support each other. I am 29 years old and have an extensive running background from my time in the military and my current job with the Sheriff's department. I also have a fairly decent background in biking but it could use some work. My biggest weakness would have to be swimming. I plan on following the 2X weekly plan although I may add in an extra day of swimming to work on my form or just get more time in the pool. My race that I have scheduled is June 18th. I plan on doing a sprint triathlon in April as sort of a precursor. Depending on how that goes, I may just do a sprint in June instead of the olympic, who knows. I really want to do the olympic so I am leaning more towards that. My work schedule is four days on and four days off. This means that a majority of my training occurs on my off days. I will sometimes do two a days with one workout in the morning and one at night. Does this sound reasonable or should I just do one a day? Also, the plan from beginner traithlete just lists distance and time. Should I mix up the workouts with some intervals or speedwork or should I just try and do the time? I am excited to start training and look forward to hearing any and all feedback. Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy, and welcome to BT!
Your plan sounds excellent. I think using the 2x plan is a good idea as it allows you to have more flexibility with your training, which you need with your schedule. It is fine to move the workouts around and to do two a day in order to make this plan work for your schedule. Everyone has to adjust things now and again, some more than others.
You do not need to add any interval or speed work to this plan. It is geared toward a first time triathlete like yourself that will benefit the most from base building rather than speed work. If your running is very advanced already, you can do some speed work on your shortest run day of the week, but swimming and cycling should just be about time in the saddle until you get a season of racing under your belt.
2011-02-28 9:40 AM

I am starting my second week of training. I just swam over 1000 yards for the first time ever. The workout called for 1200 yards and I did it in 24 minutes without stopping. Most of it was freestyle, but I had to switch back and forth to sidestroke near the end. I probably did about 1000 free and 200 side stroke. I figure that it is the same concept as run/walk when you are trying to get a distance in. Should I try and do the whole workout freestyle or can I switch back and forth until I get my endurance up?

Andy

2011-03-01 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3375307

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Andrew77 - 2011-02-28 9:40 AM      I am starting my second week of training. I just swam over 1000 yards for the first time ever. The workout called for 1200 yards and I did it in 24 minutes without stopping. Most of it was freestyle, but I had to switch back and forth to sidestroke near the end. I probably did about 1000 free and 200 side stroke. I figure that it is the same concept as run/walk when you are trying to get a distance in. Should I try and do the whole workout freestyle or can I switch back and forth until I get my endurance up?

Andy

Hi Andy! There really isn't any reason to swim the whole distance at once. Maybe once a week at the MOST. Otherwise, you can break the swim up into sets and keep the whole thing freestyle as you will have some breaks to catch your breath. Try swimming 5x200 yards or 2x500 or any other variation, with rest after each set. This will allow you to work on endurance without your form breaking down.
2011-03-09 10:49 PM

Ok, I am still on track with the plan and everything seems to be getting better. I have dialed in my nutrition a little more and have noticed my performance increase. I still struggle in the pool but I am slowly getting better. I try to get to the pool at least four times a week. I am however, struggling with my race schedule and would love to hear some opinions. I plan on doing an olympic triathlon on June 18th. That is the whole purpose of my training plan. However, I wanted to do a sprint beforehand to get my feet wet since this is my first year of racing. The bad thing is that since I live in Idaho, it is too cold outside to hold any triathlons until May. There is a sprint on May 28 that I thought about attending. Do you think this would be too close to my olympic race? I am not trying to compete but complete the sprint. I see it as more of a learning experience. How would this affect my taper for the olympic? Thanks in advance for the feedback.
2011-03-10 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3391232

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Andrew77 - 2011-03-09 10:49 PM Ok, I am still on track with the plan and everything seems to be getting better. I have dialed in my nutrition a little more and have noticed my performance increase. I still struggle in the pool but I am slowly getting better. I try to get to the pool at least four times a week. I am however, struggling with my race schedule and would love to hear some opinions. I plan on doing an olympic triathlon on June 18th. That is the whole purpose of my training plan. However, I wanted to do a sprint beforehand to get my feet wet since this is my first year of racing. The bad thing is that since I live in Idaho, it is too cold outside to hold any triathlons until May. There is a sprint on May 28 that I thought about attending. Do you think this would be too close to my olympic race? I am not trying to compete but complete the sprint. I see it as more of a learning experience. How would this affect my taper for the olympic? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Yeah, those are pretty close together but it's do-able. BUT...still try to get your long run and ride for the week done mid-week that week since you will be racing that weekend and don't taper at all for your sprint. I understand the need to get a race done before your important race. That need can be more important than whether it fits into your schedule perfectly.
Just make sure you don't go all-out in the sprint to make sure you can recover pretty quickly and not lose any of your training for the week.

2011-03-23 10:34 PM

Ok, somehow I got really sick this last week. I missed one bike, one run, and one swim. In fact, I did not work out for four days straight. MY mind was telling me to go ahead and do it but my body said otherwise. A few years back I would have just worked out try to overcome the sickness. Experience tells me it is better to rest. The sickness worked out perfectly as I am now in a rest week. I am able to do relatively shorter workouts in preparation for the next few weeks of base training. Should I start incorporating bricks into my workout. This may be more difficult once the mileage gets longer but it is doable now at least. Or should I wait until I get closer to the race?

Andy

P.S. I just got a sweet deal on a full length wetsuit and bought a used (new to me) road bike on ebay. So happy.

2011-03-25 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3411679

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Andrew77 - 2011-03-23 10:34 PM

Ok, somehow I got really sick this last week. I missed one bike, one run, and one swim. In fact, I did not work out for four days straight. MY mind was telling me to go ahead and do it but my body said otherwise. A few years back I would have just worked out try to overcome the sickness. Experience tells me it is better to rest. The sickness worked out perfectly as I am now in a rest week. I am able to do relatively shorter workouts in preparation for the next few weeks of base training. Should I start incorporating bricks into my workout. This may be more difficult once the mileage gets longer but it is doable now at least. Or should I wait until I get closer to the race?

Andy

P.S. I just got a sweet deal on a full length wetsuit and bought a used (new to me) road bike on ebay. So happy.

You did the right thing by resting. Sometimes our heads tell us to do stuff that we shouldn't do! There are bricks in your plan in the last two weeks. If you want to do more, just practice running off the bike after your long ride every weekend. 10-15 minutes is enough until you get to the last two weeks.

2011-03-28 8:52 PM

New user

Cookeville
My name is Matt and i live in Cookeville, TN. I will be starting the 16 week Olympic 2x balance with swim emphasis next week. I'm new to triathlon and am doing this program to lead me to race day of the music city sprint Tri on July 24. Half way through the program I am doing the GJCC mini sprint to get my "feet wet" and see where i stand. Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated and certainly welcomed. Thank you!
2011-03-29 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3418965

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

mattmantz - 2011-03-28 8:52 PM My name is Matt and i live in Cookeville, TN. I will be starting the 16 week Olympic 2x balance with swim emphasis next week. I'm new to triathlon and am doing this program to lead me to race day of the music city sprint Tri on July 24. Half way through the program I am doing the GJCC mini sprint to get my "feet wet" and see where i stand. Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated and certainly welcomed. Thank you!

Hi Matt! Welcome to BT! As you follow the plan, please ask any questions you have. I am here to help you! I will be at the GJCC and at Music City and will be cheering you on!

2011-03-29 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3420303

New user

Cookeville
Thank you!  And thank you for your willingness to help.  Swimming is my biggest concern, thats why I have chosen to do the swim emphasis plan.  GJCC doesn't worry me however swimming in the river with the current might be another thing.  What have you heard or what do you know about the swim at Music City.  I will be following that plan along with doing strength training on Tuesday and Fridays with Saturday being my lone day off.  I am certainly looking forward to getting started.  Been getting a few rides, runs and swims in during the past month or so.  I am really enjoying it.  My plan is doing 4 events this year.  
2011-03-30 5:44 PM

New user

Cookeville

Jessica...question,  come this sunday I will be exactly 16 weeks out from Music City Sprint. and I think it is 8 weeks out from GJCC.   In doing a little searching and reading on BT.com would you recommend me starting on Month 2 of the "Learn How to Swim" program.  That would give me the exact 16 weeks and lead me through all three swim workouts every week right up till July 24th.  I am able to swim and have been since I was small, however getting in a pool and goofing around and swimming with friends is a little different than this sort of swimming (as if you didn't know lol).  I have been a baseball player my whole life, all the way through college, never a swimmer.  With that being said what are your suggestions/comments.  Thank you much for all your help!  

2011-03-31 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3422374

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
mattmantz - 2011-03-30 5:44 PM

Jessica...question,  come this sunday I will be exactly 16 weeks out from Music City Sprint. and I think it is 8 weeks out from GJCC.   In doing a little searching and reading on BT.com would you recommend me starting on Month 2 of the "Learn How to Swim" program.  That would give me the exact 16 weeks and lead me through all three swim workouts every week right up till July 24th.  I am able to swim and have been since I was small, however getting in a pool and goofing around and swimming with friends is a little different than this sort of swimming (as if you didn't know lol).  I have been a baseball player my whole life, all the way through college, never a swimmer.  With that being said what are your suggestions/comments.  Thank you much for all your help!  

Yes, I think you can do that and be fine for Music City. There is a current in the river at Music City but it is not a strong current. Send me an PM with your email so I can let you know when we have free open water swims with our coaching group in Nashville. That will be very helpful as far as getting you comfortable in the water.

2011-03-31 5:07 PM
in reply to: #3424146

User image

Chandler, AZ

Hello all!  I'm brand new here also.  Just decided that I would try and do a 6-week training to run in my first sprint on 5/15.  Am I crazy for trying to do my first sprint in 6 weeks?  I went through the custom plan building, with the assumption of 2x for 6 weeks.  Should I be doing 3x for 6 weeks instead?  I'm in OK shape.  Completed P90X several months ago.  But after getting sick throughout the winter, I've stopped.  This is my way of quickly getting back into it.  

Please tell me I'm not insane.

Edited by gkao 2011-03-31 5:08 PM
2011-04-04 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3424243

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
gkao - 2011-03-31 5:07 PM

Hello all!  I'm brand new here also.  Just decided that I would try and do a 6-week training to run in my first sprint on 5/15.  Am I crazy for trying to do my first sprint in 6 weeks?  I went through the custom plan building, with the assumption of 2x for 6 weeks.  Should I be doing 3x for 6 weeks instead?  I'm in OK shape.  Completed P90X several months ago.  But after getting sick throughout the winter, I've stopped.  This is my way of quickly getting back into it.  

Please tell me I'm not insane.

If you have decent fitness, I don't think it's crazy to do a Sprint in 6 weeks. I don't think it's necessary to do 3X a week but of course 3x a week will probably get you a better result than 2x a week. Since you only have 6 weeks, just remember that this won't be your best race ever and that it's more for fun.

2011-04-06 1:12 AM
in reply to: #3428543

User image

Chandler, AZ

Thanks for the reality check, Jessica.  This being my first week of training, realism is setting in.  I'm having doubts I can get ready in six weeks.  But there are moments of "I can."  Not going for time in this first sprint.  I just want to finish...  (this being my first race, I'm 100% positive I'll be setting a personal best)

2011-04-06 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3431784

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
gkao - 2011-04-06 1:12 AM

Thanks for the reality check, Jessica.  This being my first week of training, realism is setting in.  I'm having doubts I can get ready in six weeks.  But there are moments of "I can."  Not going for time in this first sprint.  I just want to finish...  (this being my first race, I'm 100% positive I'll be setting a personal best)

Totally just do it for the experience! You will get hooked, and then you can train more and work on getting better.

New Thread
BT Development ARE YOU NEW? Beginner Triathlete Group Training » Olympic 2X balanced 16 Week Plan Rss Feed  

of 4