General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Third Tri , First Open Water !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-13 8:52 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Subject: Third Tri , First Open Water !!!
  I've been training in the pool , although not nearly enough , and a few times at the lake . I've been making progress as far as my form is concerned but my breathing is still a big issue for me . As soon as I get a little water in my mouth I panic slightly and lose my rhythm and focus .  The swim is only 500m but I'm not much of a swimmer so it might as well be a mile . I'm going to make it, but any help would be greatly appreciated .  
  Another question would be , is there anything I can do, or eat, or what have you, over the next couple of weeks to sustain a higher level of exertion on the run . I'm pretty happy with my cycling .  At least I have that . 
  BTW , 8 days from 1 year without cigarettes !!! 

2010-09-13 10:15 PM
in reply to: #3096827

User image

Veteran
Southern New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Third Tri , First Open Water !!!
I can tell you from personal experience from this past Sat that your first OWS will probably be tougher than you think. I don't want to discourage you, and it sounds like you're more mentally prepared for the swim than I was, but my 880yd OWS was tough. I had a difficult time breathing, getting into rhythm, etc.

I used the breast stroke to help me catch my breath and I had to force myself multiple times to relax. Rule #1 -- don't panic. Rule #2 - don't be afraid to seek help from the lifeguards if you need it. There's no shame in that. They are there to help you with flotation devices. I was very tempted to use a flotation device to help me gather my composure (and to calm my breathing) but I didn't. Instead I resorted to the backstroke (which I'm not particularly proud of) but it allowed me to keep moving throughout the entire swim.

Again, I don't want to discourage--you CAN do this--but just don't let pride get in the way. In some races you can ask for a swim cap that identifies you as a swimmer who the lifeguards need to pay particular attention to. This may be an option for you as knowing that the lifeguards are watching can help to ease your concerns.

I hope this helps...

Edited by L1011 2010-09-13 10:17 PM
2010-09-13 10:25 PM

Regular
Conejo Valley

At the start of your wave, stay to the back and to the side so that when you breathe you can see other swimmers.  That way you can stay out of the churn and just get into a comfortable flow without being swum over in the middle.   A tip I read once from Dave Scott is that when you get started if you're feeling anxious, just turn your head all the way towards the sky when you breathe and calm yourself with long slow breathing, taking each time to look skyward.  Then as you calm you can get back into a normal cadence.   Trust your training, and expect going in that the open water will be a more dynamic environment, so if you stop to gather yourself, relax and just keep moving forward.  Most of all, when you're getting ready to start, take a moment to look around, smile and enjoy the moment!

2010-09-14 11:00 AM

User image

Texas
I did my first race with an OWS last weekend, and it was a little more difficult than swimming in the pool. The advice from the other post advising you to stay towards the back of your wave is a good idea. Being my first OWS thats what I did and it worked out pretty well for me. Plus a 500yd swim isn't too far, you can easily switch to a breast stroke or turn onto your back. The biggest problem I had was sighting.
2010-09-14 1:59 PM

New user

Charlottesville
As you suspect, big difference between the pool and open water races, particularly those races in the ocean.

I did a blog 5/10/2009 that should be of help here.  Any questions, let me know.  Good Luck!

John Post, MD
                                                       Medical Director, Training Bible Coaching
                                                       www.johnpostmdsblog.blogspot.com
2010-09-16 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Thanks everyone. It seems the common theme is to relax. I still have a couple of weeks to train and I will be spending a lot of it teaching myself to be more relaxed in the water. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks, Marc

2010-09-16 1:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
To answer both of your questions: practice, practice, practice. It will get easier (and/or you will go faster!). It just takes time, sweat, energy and determination. Simple as that.
2010-09-16 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland
Just be ready for mass starts. As one other said, stay to the outside. It can get hairy in the middle of the pack with everyone kicking and slapping.

stay relaxed, dont panic, Have fun
2010-09-16 1:30 PM

User image

Regular
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Have a pre-race warm up swim for a good 200 yards out. Go easy to get used of the water temp and visiblity. 
2010-09-16 2:19 PM

Well my first tri and first OWS was last month. It was a lake swim so water conditions were not an issue (82degrees and 2 feet of visibility). I jumped in and warmed up a little and practiced a bit of sighting.

I found the swim (1200m over two laps) to be less difficult than a similar pool swim as there are no flip turns in a lake. It took me a few significant navigation errors before I worked out the sighting. I discovered two things:

1. I have a slight pull to the left when I swim. So just a bit of conscious effort to swim slightly right kept me going in a straight line.

2. If I noticed that when there was no one around me, It meant I should sight. I would usually find I was off course, but I also had a couple occasions that someone else was leading a group of swimmers astray. After that I would sight about once every 25m.

Old Ag
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Third Tri , First Open Water !!! Rss Feed