Without Limits Productions
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 30m 13s
Overall Rank = 20/30
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Drove up from Pueblo. Awoke nice and early had coffee and bagel in the car on the way.
Event warmup:

Strectched to remove the drive from my legs.
Run
  • 27m 49s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out nice and easy but being in the lead pack we all took a wrong turn and added about 1/2 mile to our race. But as someone put it "It was going to be a long day anyway so what does it matter"
What would you do differently?:

Learn the route :0
Transition 1
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

I really took my time to make sure I was composed before jumping on the bike and to get my adrenalin under control. Mantra - "Pacing Pacing Pacing"
Bike
  • 3h 05m 33s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.11 mile/hr
Comments:

I really enjoyed the course, rolling hills nothing too strenuous with some fast flat and downhill sections. Aid stations were perfectly spaced for me. For some reason I thought I would have more alone time on the bike but there was always someone just in front or just behind. Not drafting - obviously!
I felt great the whole way round and made sure to thank the volunteers and the police as I appsed them. Interestingly every Policeman replied "you're welcome" for some reason that had a very postitve effect on my ride.

Need to review my shoes and pedals I had real "hotspots" on my feet for the last 10 miles or so.
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Again took my time to make sure i had everything. I had planned to use aid stations for water only and carry my own gels.
Run
  • 2h 51m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Well it all went wrong from the start. First my gel bottles don't actually stay in my pocket when running! So I ended up carrying them. At about 3/4 mile in my shin really started to hurt, so much so that running was not an option. I had to walk 12.4 miles. I tried to run every so often but the pain was too much so I would go back to walking. After about 11 miles I was emotionally DONE - I just had to HTFU and finish. Little did I know the best was yet to come. At the end of the race is a slip'n'slide that I went on with my 4yo son. It made the pain so worthwhile.

NOT WALK!

I would also like to thank everyone; athletes and volunteers who offered encouragement - it really does help. Thanks!
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down with family and friends, including the women's overall winner Sonja Wieck, and talked about what might have been and enjoyed a cold Mix1.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Although I had to wlk the majority of the 13.1 miles I am not disappointed, a little frustrated maybe, but 10 months ago I would never have been near the start line let alone the finish line. All in all a great day and a great event. I will be back!

Event comments:

The slip'n'slide made it for me as well as all the pre-race correspondance from Without Limits.

Last updated: 2010-08-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:49 | 03.11 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 14/30
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 02:36
Overall:
Run with bike? Good