General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When to start Planning-not training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-16 11:03 AM

Subject: When to start Planning-not training
I am signed up for Louisville summer.   I am preparation freak.  At what point do you start planning for the race.  By that I mean, start looking to secure housing, etc.  I live in NH and will have to deal with getting my bike there.  Is it too early to start the process now. 

I have done step one-which was inform the wife and kids.  Kids were pumped, especially the older ones.  Wife's reaction was as expected-oh great-dripping with a bit of sarcasm as she knows what next spring and summer will bring. 

2010-09-16 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3102061

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: When to start Planning-not training

You can NEVER be too early as far as planning lodging - I booked my 2011 IM Canada hotel even before this year's race (gonna stay in the same room next year).  And even if you book something early at least you have a bird in the hand...you can always look for something cheaper/closer/better as the race approaches. 

Bike shipping...look into tribiketransport.com   worth. every. penny. period!!!

2010-09-16 2:26 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I'm another "never too early" guy. Some hotels won't accept reservations a year out but you can get on a contact list.

Just curious; if you're in NH, why didn't you go for Lake Placid?
2010-09-17 9:19 AM

For family vacation, we go away that week.  Not sure the family wants to give up beach time to watch me suffer.   Plus, I will need the extra month of training in the outdoors. 
2010-09-17 10:02 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I don't know if they do this for every IM, but when I registered for Wisconsin they handed out the "lodging" information and made it sound like you had to go through the IM Lodging web site in order to get a hotel room. Which was not true at all. I waited 2-3 months after registering to secure a hotel room, and got a better price than what was listed in their "scare tactic" literature. My family did not get rooms until the month before the race and had zero issues.

But since you said you are a preparation freak, you might want to do it before a month out
2010-09-17 10:10 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Each IM has some unique features. Post on the KY forum to get some tips on planning.

Some races are in rural areas so lodging is limited like LP but others like FL there is ample housing and you can find close and inexpensive lodging the race of the week as it the off season of a tourist town.

KY is a bigger town so you probably have more options for lodging but things close at reasonable prices will go fast.

Consider flying with your bike, driving or sending it with tri bike transport. If you fly and can use Jet Blue or Southwest bike fees are only $50 each way. Other airlines bike fees can vary but are often around $150 each way which makes tri bike transport a nice similar cost option w/o having to take apart your bike.

2010-09-17 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3104266

User image

Pro
Burbs
KathyG - 2010-09-17 11:10 AM Each IM has some unique features. Post on the KY forum to get some tips on planning.

Some races are in rural areas so lodging is limited like LP but others like FL there is ample housing and you can find close and inexpensive lodging the race of the week as it the off season of a tourist town.

KY is a bigger town so you probably have more options for lodging but things close at reasonable prices will go fast.

Consider flying with your bike, driving or sending it with tri bike transport. If you fly and can use Jet Blue or Southwest bike fees are only $50 each way. Other airlines bike fees can vary but are often around $150 each way which makes tri bike transport a nice similar cost option w/o having to take apart your bike.

I had to fly with my bike to IMCOZ because Tri Bike transport doen't do out of country IMs. It was a giant freaking hassle - and expensive, because I didn't do my research ahead of time (Delta charged me $150, I think, each way, to check my bike).

I'd go with Tri Bike Transport. Whatever it costs is well worth the sanity you'll save dragging your bike all over the place !
2010-09-17 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
detscourt - 2010-09-16 12:03 PM

I am signed up for Louisville summer.   I am preparation freak.  At what point do you start planning for the race.  By that I mean, start looking to secure housing, etc.  I live in NH and will have to deal with getting my bike there.  Is it too early to start the process now. 

I have done step one-which was inform the wife and kids.  Kids were pumped, especially the older ones.  Wife's reaction was as expected-oh great-dripping with a bit of sarcasm as she knows what next spring and summer will bring. 

IMKY isn't like other IM's b/c the demand just isn't there. I was able to book the host hotel on hotels.com for that weekend. I also had friends that booked a hotel right at the finish line 2 weeks b/4 the race for $90/night on priceline. Most other IM's are NOT this ez to get lodging for. Often, it's just as anxious of a time to get a hotel as it is to get into the race. Not so for IMKY. Ditto on the tribiketransport if you are flying to l'ville. TBT service is awesome and worth EVERY penny. I'm using them to ship my bike to Kona in 2 weeks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When to start Planning-not training Rss Feed