General Discussion Triathlon Talk » syracuse 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-16 4:30 PM

Subject: syracuse 70.3
I plan on signing up for the Syracuse IM 70.3 tonight .....the race is this Sunday 9/19.....I live in the Syracuse area and figure what the hell ...it's in my backyard ..I have only been really tri  training since about July 4th or so ......I had minor knee surgery in March so it took me a while to get going......I have done 3 Olympic races since end of July  and my times have gotten better each time  3:20, 3:10  and the last 2:59.....I have been  swimming  3  to 4 times a week in open water (live near a lake ) and feel good and  can go 1.5 miles with no issues - not real fast but  the open water , etc does not bother me.

I have only  about 3 to 4 runs of 10 to 12  miles in since August 15th but have been running 6 to 7 miles 2 times a week.    I have biked about 3- 4 times a week since July - mostly between 15-25 miles each ride - but I have only 3 "long rides " in of 38, 40 , 48 mile range mostly because I'm starting to feel it in my knees .

I have not done much brick work and that concerns me.

My goal is to finish most likely in the 6 to 7 hour range .....Am   I   under  estmating the lack of brick work and will be in for a big surprise come the run Sunday ??

2010-09-17 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3102958

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: syracuse 70.3
I'm not sure that this would be a very good idea for you.  I'm really concerned about your knees.  If you're saying your knees start to hurt/bother you on rides less than 50 miles, that is not good.  Also, if your knee is bothering you on the bike, I'd assume it bothers you even more on the run.  Is that true?  If that is the case, I think you could be flirting with a serious energy if you did the race.  If the knee didn't bother you, I think you could pull it off, but I don't think this would be a smart move.

Your training volume is certainly low for a HIM, but if the knees weren't a problem, I think you could manage to pull it off.
2010-09-17 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3103960

thanks for the advice....my knee doesn't hurt to the point where I notice  when I'm  riding or I have to stop.....but it's sore after I ride and I  Ice it down after long rides. Its sore the next day as well.

Same with the run.....doesn't stop me during run but sore next day ......but this is to be expected with a torn meniscus that  I had surgrey on in Feb....I should be playing golf I guess

This is why my training volume is low , my thinking was to not to  go over board but save  it for the  race ....but also realizing that my time is going to be slow.....not so concern about the time ....if I survive  I'll worry about improving my time next time
2010-09-17 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3104606

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
royhobbs - 2010-09-17 1:15 PM thanks for the advice....my knee doesn't hurt to the point where I notice  when I'm  riding or I have to stop.....but it's sore after I ride and I  Ice it down after long rides. Its sore the next day as well.

Same with the run.....doesn't stop me during run but sore next day ......but this is to be expected with a torn meniscus that  I had surgrey on in Feb....I should be playing golf I guess

This is why my training volume is low , my thinking was to not to  go over board but save  it for the  race ....but also realizing that my time is going to be slow.....not so concern about the time ....if I survive  I'll worry about improving my time next time

So did you do any brick workouts at all?  I'd be curious how you feel trying to run off the bike.  If you're going to do it, I definitely recommend taking it pretty easy.  It sounds like you'll be quite sure on Monday, but you should be able to get through it.  Yes, I agree that it would not have been smart to go crazy on your training volume wise, but they would mean you were planning to do the race.

It sounds like you kind of already had your mind made up to do it so if you end up doing it let me know as I'm doing the race as well and best of luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » syracuse 70.3 Rss Feed