General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Last question before my first Tri (I promise) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-18 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Last question before my first Tri (I promise)
So I have everything packed and ready to go for my first Tri tomorrow.  I have to be up by 3:30AM to get to my training partners home by 4AM.  So the registration opens at 5AM to 7AM I guess along with the transition area to set things up.  There is a meeting at 7AM and the first wave starts at 7:30AM.  So I plan to get there when the door opens so I can set things up.  My question is when I'm done setting up and it's 5:30AM Do people start getting in there wetsuits right there and leave all there stuff in the transition area or do you take all your swimming stuff out of the transition area and just hang out till the time gets closer.  If you do that what do you do with all your clothes that you just took off to get into your wetsuit.  The temp is going to be a warm 53 degrees so I'll be in a hoodie and some warmup pants, or do I wear the wetsuit for an hour and a half before the waves start.  I don't want to be the rookie that drives to the race in his wetsuit.  I think this will be the last question until my first Tri or at least until I start panicking at 2AM.

2010-09-18 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3106044

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Last question before my first Tri (I promise)
For my first I had transition setup by 6:30.   I would leave all your stuff in transition and hang out in the hoodie until a few minutes before the meeting.   Then go change into the wetsuit, go to the meeting then you can jump in the water and warmup if you want.  I gave my extra clothes to my gf but you could put it in a gym bag and leave it in transition if you want.   BTW  good luck!
2010-09-18 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
It depends how long a walk it is to your car. If you have an hour and a half, I'll usually bring my excess clothes and race swag back to the car. I race with my tri suit under my wetsuit so if it is a brisk morning I'll put the wetsuit on upon to my waist and wear a long sleeve shirt or sweat top. I'll head back to transition and leave the shirt in transition when they kick us all out closer to race time.

Good luck tommorrow and remember to have fun!
2010-09-18 4:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, TX
Of course it is your choice and you can also take your lead from what others are doing.  I generally choose to stay in real clothing as long as possible.  So I would stay in the sweats until right before transition closes and then change to the wetsuit since you will need to wear it for warmth.  Just make sure you have enough time to put it on and be "comfortable".  Better to be in it longer than still adjusting when your wave is about to start.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Last question before my first Tri (I promise) Rss Feed