General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gaining Weight from Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-25 12:03 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: Gaining Weight from Training
Ok ya'll- I need some serious help.  I used to be small and petitie- I am only 5'1'' and before I started marathon and tri trainning, my average weight was around 117 pounds.  I was active- I ran some 1/2 marathons and was weight training, and watching what I ate.  A year later after continually trianing for marathons/triathlons, being 28 years old, I am up to 130 lbs.  I know a lot of it's muscle, but I am so much stockier looking.  I build muscle very easily and quickly- mostly because of genetics.  But...I am trying to lean out a little bit and don't know what the best way to go about it would be.  Not sure if I need to count calories, try Weight Watchers or South Beach, up my workout intensities?  I am not sure if my metablosism is starting to slow with age or if this is just how my body is supposed to be.  I haven't had a lot of luck with weight loss because when I cut back my workouts greatly suffer.  Any input would be appreciated.  I am sure I am not the only one who has these issues.

2005-07-25 12:17 PM
in reply to: #206412

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Subject: RE: Gaining Weight from Training

Yeah, most of us have been there, done that, bought the larger size pants.

Some things to consider:

• Calories in > Calories burned = Weight gain.  It really is that simple.  Start by tracking your calories for a week or a month to get an idea of how much is going out and how much is coming in.  You may be sneaking in too many "rewards" for a good workout.  Be honest and see what it saya.
  • Muscle does weigh more than fat.  That is to say, it's denser.  So, while you may look the same, if one area has been emptied of fat and filled with muscle, it will be denser and therefore heavier.
  • Triathlon muscles are different from running muscles.  Most distance runners don't have very developed upper bodies because they don't have to swim as part of their races.  Likewise, there are many that say that the best thing that happened to Lance Armstrong's body was to lose a lot of the bulk he had from triathlons.  If you've added swimming to your workout regimen, you have a new batch of muscles that will add some to your weight.

I hardly ever use the scale to determine where I am at health-wise.  (I have to somewhat because the Army does. )  That being said, I look at how my clothes are fitting and how I look when I am I naked.  (Don't even waste your time with the "This thread is useless without pictures" crap.)  If I'm up three pounds but my waist is a half-inch smaller, then I am happy.

2005-07-25 12:24 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Thanks!  I have been trying to track my calories because I think I might be taking in more than I realize. 

But...how do I know how many calories I should be taking in on an average?  And...how do I know how many calories I burn from swimming, biking and running??

2005-07-25 12:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
I was on weight watchers when I started training for tri's earlier this year, and I just couldn't do it. I was hungry all the time. WW has some good basic principles (drink alot of water, eat your veggies, etc.) and had worked for me in the past...but I found trying to stick to their points system was very difficult with all the training that we do.

I'm struggling with a similar issue, I did gain a few pounds when I started trng and haven't lost any since (and I need to). Check out the thread called "my diet philosophy" started by TH3_FRB. I found that seems have some good advice...and have you looked at fitday.com? Fitday.com could give you an idea about calories burned, and you can enter exactly what you are eating.

I think maybe I'm not eating enough of the right stuff....

Good Luck!

Edited by alreed 2005-07-25 12:39 PM
2005-07-25 12:47 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
I lost a boat load of weight when I tried weight watchers about 4 years ago but that was before I was tri training.  I do remember feeling hungry all the time.  I had previously checked out that other thread you recommended- there was a lot of good info on it.  I have started keeping track of what I eat with fitday.com  I am just frustrated....I know I have more muscle and am more defined than I used to be, but would like to get rid of some of this "bulk".  When I train, I can't seem to lose anything- not even a pound.  When I don't train I can lean out a lot quicker.  Hopefully calorie tracking will solve my problem!
2005-07-26 12:20 PM
in reply to: #206442

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

FitDay.com will estimate your energy requirements and how much you burn from activities.  Give it a try for a few days eating your standard diet and doing whatever training you normally, then come back and we can look at the data.

runnergirl28 - 2005-07-25 1:24 PM

Thanks!  I have been trying to track my calories because I think I might be taking in more than I realize. 

But...how do I know how many calories I should be taking in on an average?  And...how do I know how many calories I burn from swimming, biking and running??

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gaining Weight from Training Rss Feed