General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Posture Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-20 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudsonville, MI
Subject: Bike Posture Question
Sorry if this is novice question, but what does it mean exactly to roll your hips forward in reference to sitting on the saddle when riding?  Does it mean bending at the waist more for a straighter back?  I want to have the correct posture when riding and I am not sure if I am getting it.

Thanks for any help!

2010-09-20 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3108707

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Bike Posture Question
Welcome!  I don't think you have to apologize for a 'novice' question on a site called beginnertriathlete.com.  Smile

Rotating the hips forward around the seat allows one to flatten the back and lower your head and shoulders while keeping a (somewhat!) more natural head position.  I did a quick search and this page has a useful comparison photograph at the top.

Bottom line is that you are likely to get the best fit by having a qualified fitter work with you on it.
2010-09-26 7:10 PM

New user
Connecticut Shore

When talking about bike fit, I looked at the pictures in the link and I noticed that the "better rider" had some portion of the seat showing from his behind, while the "poorer posture" rider had no visible seat.  Is this part of the fit?

In order to get the rotated hips, does the bike seat need to be tilted forward, or should it be perfectly level.  Do you slide the seat back and forth on the mounts to get the exposure?

I know from my experience that I am craning my neck and getting cramping there because of bad posture.

2010-09-26 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3118539

Master
portland, or
Flapjack - 2010-09-26 4:10 PM

When talking about bike fit, I looked at the pictures in the link and I noticed that the "better rider" had some portion of the seat showing from his behind, while the "poorer posture" rider had no visible seat.  Is this part of the fit?

In order to get the rotated hips, does the bike seat need to be tilted forward, or should it be perfectly level.  Do you slide the seat back and forth on the mounts to get the exposure?

I know from my experience that I am craning my neck and getting cramping there because of bad posture.

"...I noticed that the "better rider" had some portion of the seat showing from his behind, while the "poorer posture" rider had no visible seat. Is this part of the fit?"

Not necessarily. Where a rider sits on the saddle is a matter of personal choice, but the ability to rotate the hips correctly may determine that position.

Many riders who don't rotate their hips, don't due to pressure on the perineum. A different saddle, or position on a saddle, will likely eliminate the problem.

In general the saddle should be level. Some people like a slight decline to the saddle, and a few like it nose up slightly. Some will rotate the saddle to one side by a couple of degrees (not possible with most of today's TT bikes).

scott
2010-09-26 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3118611

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
yaqui - 2010-09-26 9:04 PM
Flapjack - 2010-09-26 4:10 PM

"...I noticed that the "better rider" had some portion of the seat showing from his behind, while the "poorer posture" rider had no visible seat. Is this part of the fit?" Not necessarily. Where a rider sits on the saddle is a matter of personal choice, but the ability to rotate the hips correctly may determine that position. Many riders who don't rotate their hips, don't due to pressure on the perineum. A different saddle, or position on a saddle, will likely eliminate the problem. In general the saddle should be level. Some people like a slight decline to the saddle, and a few like it nose up slightly. Some will rotate the saddle to one side by a couple of degrees (not possible with most of today's TT bikes). scott

Agreed.  The only lesson I'd take from that picture (and probably even this is debatable, human bodies being so varied in shape) is that the guy on the left has his hips rotated more, so that his back is flatter rather than 'curved'.  How you achieve that position (if you can) is very individual, but I would advise against rotating your seat down to less than level (which probably won't really accomplish it anyway).  Whether you can comfortably sit out on the end of the saddle depends on you and the saddle.  Whether you NEED to is also an open question.  A fitter that you trust is worth a lot here, IMO.
2010-09-26 8:39 PM

User image

Master
I think the idea is that by rotating your hips, you can make sure that your "sit bones" are where your weight is on the saddle.
You don't want your weight on your soft fleshy parts, this is what causes soreness. Some soreness is normal as you get your mileage up, but by making sure you get the bony part of your butt on the wide part of the saddle, you should be able to reduce pain and suffering.
This will also rotate the fleshy stuff up front away from the saddle, which will reduce the dreaded "numb" feeling some riders get. 
Although I agree with the pictures on the link posted above as to who looks better fit, I am not sure I agree with the reasoning. The curve shown on the poor rider looks to have more to do with reach and stem problems than hips.

2010-09-26 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3118657

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
eliwashere - 2010-09-26 9:39 PM I think the idea is that by rotating your hips, you can make sure that your "sit bones" are where your weight is on the saddle.
You don't want your weight on your soft fleshy parts, this is what causes soreness. Some soreness is normal as you get your mileage up, but by making sure you get the bony part of your butt on the wide part of the saddle, you should be able to reduce pain and suffering.
This will also rotate the fleshy stuff up front away from the saddle, which will reduce the dreaded "numb" feeling some riders get. 
Although I agree with the pictures on the link posted above as to who looks better fit, I am not sure I agree with the reasoning. The curve shown on the poor rider looks to have more to do with reach and stem problems than hips.

Of course you could be right -- it's pretty hard to tell in the pic (for me).  But look at the angle at their elbows.  The guy on the left's elbows are bent as least as much as the guy on the right's.  This suggests that the guy on the right has room to bend his elbows more (and thereby get his front end down and forward a bit to flatten his back) but can't because his hips aren't rotated forward enough.  I agrees it's not a slam-dunk interpretation of what's going on, but it seems to be a reasonable diagnosis.
2010-09-26 8:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond

Rolling the hips forward as opposed to bending at the waist looks somewhat the same to an untrained eye.  However, when you simply bend at the waist you are sitting with the same part of your body (sit bones) on the same part of the seat (rearward).  This is not what you want to do because you will experience a very acute hip angle and the corresponding reduced power without being able to ride all that low or aerodynamic.

Rolling forward at the hips puts the nose of the saddle under the perineum.  It allows the hip angle to remain more open and consequently the power remains high, as you are now rotated around to a more aerodynamic position (lower).

It is both a subtle and profound difference, and one that a professional fitter could help you with.  You can do it on your own however. Play with it.

Edited by Dave Luscan 2010-09-26 8:51 PM
2010-09-27 8:48 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
x2 on "it's hard to tell".  I liked the phrase "spilling water out of the front of a bowl made of his pelvis".  I think that's a pretty helpful image to have when playing around with trying to rotate your hips forward.
2010-09-27 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3118611

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-09-27 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3118657

eliwashere - 2010-09-26 9:39 PM
Some soreness is normal as you get your mileage up, but by making sure you get the bony part of your butt on the wide part of the saddle, you should be able to reduce pain and suffering.

This is brilliant. I'm a constant victim of "numbness up front" so I'm going to go home and adjust my fit a bit tonight, as per your comments. I always just assumed that the numbness would go away with time...hopefully this helps (as it's such an annoying feeling during the run! haha)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Posture Question Rss Feed